Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D700 vs. D90  (Read 6274 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
D700 vs. D90
« on: June 27, 2009, 09:17:28 am »

I put this in the wrong forum when I first posted - sorry!

I think it's time to relegate my D80 to backup camera status, and I am considering either the D90 or the D700. I know the D700 gives me wider views with my wide angle (more of a concern for me than telephoto), and is also supposed to be truly outstanding in low light. but what else do I get for almost 3x the price? I have not seen anything to indicate the image quality is better.

Thanks,

Peter

jcote

• http://www.johncotephotography.com
D700 vs. D90
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 06:43:40 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
I think it's time to relegate my D80 to backup camera status, and I am considering either the D90 or the D700. I know the D700 gives me wider views with my wide angle (more of a concern for me than telephoto), and is also supposed to be truly outstanding in low light. but what else do I get for almost 3x the price? I have not seen anything to indicate the image quality is better.

Peter,

Getting a D700 might be more than 3 times the price when you consider that any D Series lenses you may have will not really work well on the full frame camera and will probably have to be replaced.

Having said that. The D700 is in a different class feature wise...if you need all of the features. It will shoot in much lower light without noise. It has a superior AF system. It is more resistant to the weather and overall has a better build. The D90 is a great camera with a very good sensor. Straight-out-of-the-camera at reasonable ISO settings it may even produce a better image than the D700. But in my opinion, D700/D3 files are the best 12mp files from any camera on the market if you want to take the time to draw out all that a file has to make a print.

The D90 is a great camera. If you don't want to buy new lenses and pay the extra money for the D700 body, the D90 is a great buy.

DarkPenguin

D700 vs. D90
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 07:00:18 pm »

I put this in the wrong forum when I first posted - sorry!

Thanks,

Peter
www.bythom.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
D700 vs. D90
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 12:10:53 am »

...I am considering either the D90 or the D700. I know the D700 gives me wider views with my wide angle (more of a concern for me than telephoto), and is also supposed to be truly outstanding in low light. but what else do I get for almost 3x the price? I have not seen anything to indicate the image quality is better.

From the top of my head.

+ for D700
- All the advantages of FX if that's what you need (less DoF)
- Mirror lock up
- more robustness
- A bit more DR
- Less hesitation when planning next lenses purchases since you start to invest in a platform that will at least go to 24MP

+ for D90
- All the advantages of DX if that's what you need (more DoF)
- small and lighter system (not just the camera) with more VR lenses
- video

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up