Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Here's the best of what I've done in the digital era  (Read 4328 times)

Jeremy Payne

Here's the best of what I've done in the digital era
« on: June 27, 2009, 02:09:04 am »

I put together a couple of web galleries ... one with images made with and since I bought my DSLR and ones done both before and after with Point & Shoots.

There's about 40 images in each.  Should load fast as I made the images small.  Please let me know what you think.

D700 Gallery

Point & Shoot Gallery

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 02:42:07 am »

Had a quick glance through both galleries; there's some good stuff in there.  Having just read William Neill's article on B&W ('What's New' page), I can say that there's good vision there.  BTW, you might want to fix the "Photographs(w) by Jeremy Payne".
If your mind is attuned t

MR.FEESH

• http://
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 03:32:39 am »

THIS STUFF IS SO. GOOD.
WOW.
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX Macro
Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG EX Macro

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 08:58:21 am »

Thanks!  

Fixed the typo ...

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 11:55:51 am »

Jeremy, I agree. It's very good work.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 03:19:05 pm »

I actually enjoyed the P&S gallery more than the D700!  But there's a lot of good work in both.

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 05:21:45 pm »

I can't make the site work - it all loads but won't play/move forward and clicking on the thumbs on the left doesn't work.

My one comment for now is that dividing your work between "D700" and "point and shoot" diminishes your work by placing your equipment rather than your photos at the fore.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 05:38:58 pm »

Quote from: situgrrl
I can't make the site work - it all loads but won't play/move forward and clicking on the thumbs on the left doesn't work.

My one comment for now is that dividing your work between "D700" and "point and shoot" diminishes your work by placing your equipment rather than your photos at the fore.

Sawadee, khap, Charly. Do you have Adobe Flash Player on your computer? You need it for Jeremy's site. It's a freebie and you can get it at http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/.

By the way, Jeremy, I agree with Charly. Separating your work by camera is the kind of thing people on fora like Nikonians would do. That's one of the wonderful things about LLS: we seem to stay away from equipment discussions.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 05:56:05 pm »

Quote from: RSL
By the way, Jeremy, I agree with Charly. Separating your work by camera is the kind of thing people on fora like Nikonians would do. That's one of the wonderful things about LLS: we seem to stay away from equipment discussions.
I did that intentionally to see if and how the acquisition of a DSLR might have changed anything about the way I was interacting photographically with the world.

I got the D700 almost a year ago ... and set out to do a "best of the last year" selection ... and found myself digging through the last several years worth of stuff.

I intend to slice this "master select" universe across a variety of angles and create a handful of stylistic galleries.

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 06:02:12 pm »

Quote from: jasonrandolph
I actually enjoyed the P&S gallery more than the D700!  But there's a lot of good work in both.

This gets back to the previous point about why I sliced my selects across the equipment as I did ...

It was interesting to note how much more interactive with my "environs" the P&S allowed me to be.

The D700 is almost always on a tripod, facing away from humanity.

The P&S is smack dab in the middle of whatever is happening - be it a scuba diving adventure or a subway ride or a walk down the streets of NYC.

I think it proves I need a P&S (or maybe an E-P1 ...) back in my life.

cmi

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 06:24:42 pm »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
This gets back to the previous point about why I sliced my selects across the equipment as I did ...

It was interesting to note how much more interactive with my "environs" the P&S allowed me to be.

The D700 is almost always on a tripod, facing away from humanity.

The P&S is smack dab in the middle of whatever is happening - be it a scuba diving adventure or a subway ride or a walk down the streets of NYC.

I think it proves I need a P&S (or maybe an E-P1 ...) back in my life.

Some nice images you have there, in both galleries. I would not make the distinction between gear but instead introduce thematic categories like abstract, landscapes, urban, underwater, etc. Then I would have selected even more, many images are quite similar. And last but not least I would have made them a bit bigger. I miss the detail esp. in some of the vertical b/w landscape shots.

Christian

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 04:13:35 pm »

Thanks all for reviewing the galleries I posted earlier!  I understand the comments about dividing the work by equipment as I did ... but it was instructive and contained some lessons.

Along those lines, I've re-organized the material by time - dividing it into 2007, 2008 and 2009 galleries.

As suggested by others, I'll likely divide the work by "theme"/"subject"/"style" when I launch the "official" site ...

... but for now, I'm still trying to draw insight by reviewing my work across a variety of angles.

Today is "time" ... feel free to take another view if you'd like - there's a few new ones that made the cut ...

In response to some other feedback, I also increased the photo sizes ... please tell me if these load too slowly.

Jeremy's Portfolio Home Page

John R

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 07:09:24 pm »

Looked over your site. Some good images, and overall it is not bad as a start. On the equipment divide, if it helps any, I noticed many sites often divide and cross divide their work between all sorts of categories, including type and make of camera. I will have to look at your point and shoot category as this should be intriguing to see if there are changes after you began with the DSLR.

JMR

cmi

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 10:37:08 am »

Jeremy,

the collection makes more sense now, it does come off less random  (especially the start of 2009 I like in this regard), this is a good thing.

For good sorting, try not to look too much onto the specific images, instead imagine someone just glancing over your work. I was mainly confused by more or less random changes in themes and between b/w and color. I would also keep down the categories to a minimum, and introduce a "misc" for single shots. I also like the images you added, esp. the close up of the old lady in the park stays in my mind. (I write this here from my memory, I looked at the new version 2 days ago.) The images loaded indeed a bit too slow, but I would take care of this only at the end.

I hope that this is somehow helpful for you.

Christian

Along those lines, I've re-organized the material by time - dividing it into 2007, 2008 and 2009 galleries.

As suggested by others, I'll likely divide the work by "theme"/"subject"/"style" when I launch the "official" site ...

... but for now, I'm still trying to draw insight by reviewing my work across a variety of angles.

Today is "time" ... feel free to take another view if you'd like - there's a few new ones that made the cut ...

In response to some other feedback, I also increased the photo sizes ... please tell me if these load too slowly.

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 10:53:49 am »

Quote from: Christian Miersch
The images loaded indeed a bit too slow, but I would take care of this only at the end.
I'm currently hosting this at home ... and the upstream connection competes with my Slingbox - which happens to be in use quite a bit this weekend as we are away.

When I'm ready to go "live" for real, I'll host the site somewhere else ... my home connection is somewhat beefy - 1mbps up - but that's not sufficient to handle web traffic and the slingbox.

Thanks for looking!

cmi

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 11:30:04 am »

I'm currently hosting this at home ... and the upstream connection competes with my Slingbox - which happens to be in use quite a bit this weekend as we are away.

When I'm ready to go "live" for real, I'll host the site somewhere else ... my home connection is somewhat beefy - 1mbps up - but that's not sufficient to handle web traffic and the slingbox.

Thanks for looking!

Off topic:

Awww... you're lucky! I get here 184kbit upload wich will increase with a new contract to 512, half of you. Germany and upload speeds, dont get me started. They somehow seem to prevent us from participating
Pages: [1]   Go Up