Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H3DII Sensor cleaning question  (Read 2419 times)

photolinia

H3DII Sensor cleaning question
« on: June 26, 2009, 08:56:31 pm »

Hello everyone,

On my trip to Europe I discovered that somehow I managed to put a little dirt on the H3D39-II sensor glass.
I tried to blow it off with an air pump and then tried removing it with the charged arctic butterfly brush, but the dirt particles seem to be stuck to the glass pretty well and I can not remove them.
I know that H3D sensors have a protective glass cover over them, but if I can not remove the dust with a brush, I really do not want to go into anything any more serious than that - like using wet cleaning techniques...  or am I being too careful?  I was thinking of taking it to Calumet, but not sure how experienced they are with medium format sensor cleaning (though it's actually easier than 35mm sensor cleaning)

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks a lot!
-ilya

etrump

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 11:50:20 pm »

Quote from: photolinia

Thanks a lot!
-ilya

Sounds like you picked up some airborne liquid particles that dried on your sensor.  Maybe sea spray or something.

Try a sensor pen.  Works like a champ for me.  

If you want to play it safe, send it to a Hassy service center.  Cheaper than a new IR filter for sure.
Ed Cooley
 [url=http://www.whiteri

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 12:57:32 am »

Quote from: etrump
Sounds like you picked up some airborne liquid particles that dried on your sensor.  Maybe sea spray or something.

Try a sensor pen.  Works like a champ for me.  

If you want to play it safe, send it to a Hassy service center.  Cheaper than a new IR filter for sure.
We are fortunate in having about 6 MF dealers within a few hours drive - where are you?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 02:44:17 am »

Quote from: photolinia
Hello everyone,

On my trip to Europe I discovered that somehow I managed to put a little dirt on the H3D39-II sensor glass.
I tried to blow it off with an air pump and then tried removing it with the charged arctic butterfly brush, but the dirt particles seem to be stuck to the glass pretty well and I can not remove them.
I know that H3D sensors have a protective glass cover over them, but if I can not remove the dust with a brush, I really do not want to go into anything any more serious than that - like using wet cleaning techniques...  or am I being too careful?  I was thinking of taking it to Calumet, but not sure how experienced they are with medium format sensor cleaning (though it's actually easier than 35mm sensor cleaning)

Thanks a lot!
-ilya

If you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself you can always visit a dealer and have them show you how to do it. I think you are being somewhat too careful. There is no reason why you should not clean it yourself. Just remember to use lint-free cloth (like pac-pads) and proper fluid (I use eclips). Also use the cloth once, don't use more than a couple of drops of fluid, don't touch the filter with your fingers, swipe into 1 direction (not back & forth). These are the things I can think of to keep in mind maybe others can add. Dust is a part of your photographic life, learn to deal with it. Going to a dealer everytime is a very time consuming option as is cloning out dust spots from your images.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:44:43 am by Dustbak »

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 03:56:51 am »

But the sensor under a good light and use a magnifying glass to make sure you have not scratched the filter plate

Quote from: Dustbak
If you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself you can always visit a dealer and have them show you how to do it. I think you are being somewhat too careful. There is no reason why you should not clean it yourself. Just remember to use lint-free cloth (like pac-pads) and proper fluid (I use eclips). Also use the cloth once, don't use more than a couple of drops of fluid, don't touch the filter with your fingers, swipe into 1 direction (not back & forth). These are the things I can think of to keep in mind maybe others can add. Dust is a part of your photographic life, learn to deal with it. Going to a dealer everytime is a very time consuming option as is cloning out dust spots from your images.

photolinia

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 02:28:58 pm »

I am located in Orange County - not too far from LA.  I'm not aware of any MF dealers experienced in cleaning MF sensors around here.  I will try Calumet - maybe they can help...

thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up