Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good location for daytriping by car in Quebec and Ontario  (Read 9429 times)

vaphoto

• vaphoto site
Good location for daytriping by car in Quebec and Ontario
« on: June 26, 2009, 12:46:12 pm »

We are planning a mid-July car trip and would like reasonable priced decent lodging in a good location to day-trip out of for 3 to 5 days each in both Quebec and Ontario. My spouse is a tag along photographer so we also need some diversity, shopping and other types of attractions. A location near an urban center is fine. I know this is a large area and we are late in planning the trip, but hope to identify a few unique locations that might not be obvious in the travel guides. Thanks vaphoto
Bob
vaphoto

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 03:25:44 pm »

Ontario is 1,076,395 km2 and Quebec is 1,542,056 km2.

Care to narrow it down a little as to where you'd like to travel?

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

vaphoto

• vaphoto site
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 11:18:52 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Ontario is 1,076,395 km2 and Quebec is 1,542,056 km2.

Care to narrow it down a little as to where you'd like to travel?

Mike.
I think we would limit our day trips to locations within a 2-3-hour drive time from our lodging. We have visited British Columbia, the Atlantic Provinces and the Gaspe area, But, have only had brief visits to Quebec, Montreal and Toronto and that was some years ago. So I guess that leaves as targets the southern and south central areas. We have heard good things about the area around Toronto, but need some pointers. Ideally we might spend several days in the Quebec/Montreal area and several days in the area around Ottawa and/or Toronto. However, we are open to other ideas. Like you said, it is a vast area and we will be only sampling a small portion. We plan to take our time and enjoy the places we select.
Hope this helps.
Thanks
vaphoto
Bob
vaphoto

Kenneth Sky

• http://
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 06:50:57 pm »

I've lived in Toronto for 70 years so I think I know a bit about it. You could spend a week just wandering around the neighbourhoods and not get bored. Outside of the GTA in a 2 hour radius there's Niagara (not just the Falls), Muskoka, and Prince Edward County to pick a tiny few of the options. Contact the Government of Ontario, Tourism for more details.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 11:54:23 pm »

If Toronto is your base, then you've got a 'few' options depending on what you're looking for.  Toronto itself is a cosmopolitan city with all kinds of sights and attractions.  To the west you've got Stratford (and the theatre festival), Niagara on the Lake (the other theatre festival), Niagara Falls and more...  If you go to Niagara Falls, don't miss the Butterfly Conservatory.  To the north you've got cottage country and the Muskokas (just don't head that way on a Friday afternoon or you'll be in several hours of gridlock).  NE you've got the Kawartha region, Lindsay, Peterborough, Bancroft and seventeen lakes.  East of Toronto you get into Port Hope, Cobourg, Trenton... and if you go far enough (within three hours or so) you've got Kingston, Gananoque, the Thousand Islands Parkway...  Enough to keep you busy for quite a number of years.

If you make Montreal your base, again you've got an amazing city to visit, steeped in history.  There's also the Biosphere and the Insectarium if that interests you.  If you want you can take a river cruise from Montreal east to Quebec city and back.  If you're planning on driving from Montreal to Quebec and you want to see the 'real' Quebec, instead of taking the main four-lane highway (20, IIRC), just east of the city you can pick up a little two-lane highway - 132 I believe.  This will take you along the south shore of the St. Lawrence River and through a number of little towns.  There's one... can't remember the name of it, but it seems like everyone in town is into model shipbuilding, woodcarving, etc.

Each city or region has its own tourist information sites of course, and the government of Canada has a new site out called: http://www.localsknow.ca

If you can specify what types of things interest you we might be able to provide more information for you.

Mike.

P.S.  If you're traveling in Quebec, especially the Montreal to Quebec corridor, you'll find that most people speak English, but not all of them.  With a friendly smile, a little sign language, and some understanding you'll find the people most accommodating.  When I first moved to eastern Quebec in 1967 I didn't speak a word of French.  My first friend didn't speak a word of English.  We got along fine.

You won't get bored, that's for sure!!

Mike.

vaphoto

• vaphoto site
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 08:03:45 pm »

Mike:
Thanks, for the very helpful information. We have a basic plan: Take I-81 into Canada, the first place we will check out is Prince Edward County, then on to Ottawa, west toward to the Algonquin area, out to the Tobermory area and then to Toronto and home. We will spend as much time as we want in each area and may only get to some of these places, but ending up in Toronto regardless.
Any additional ideas on routes, interesting places, restaurants or lodging along the way that might not be well covered in the travel guides would be appreciated.
Thanks
vaphoto
Bob
vaphoto

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 03:09:48 am »

Wow... that's a lot of territory to cover!  It's been a few years, but I used to run a 40,000 sq. km field study in eastern Ontario... let's see if I can jog the memory.  Coming up I-81 means you'll be crossing east of Gananoque.  Once you get into Ontario you'll be heading west to get to Prince Edward County.  Rather than heading up to the 401 I'd recommend taking the Thousand Islands Parkway.  It follows the river and is more scenic (although slower) than the 401, which is basically like an interstate hwy.  There's an old Amish church if I remember correctly in Rockport.  Cutting through Gananoque you can stay on Hwy 2 which will keep you close to the river and the old road into Kingston.  Kingston is an interesting city with a lot of historic architecture.  Limestone buildings everywhere.  I remember the first time I was there I was driving along the river admiring the historic stone buildings until I came to one that was REALLY big.  Took me a minute to realize it was the Kingston maximum security penitentiary.  There are some great restaurants in Kingston, but my favourite by far is a Greek restaurant called Mino's.  It's near the water, right by the Holiday Inn.  Great food, excellent service, and the restaurant is filled with plants (not plastic ones).  There are a lot of funky shops in Kingston if your wife likes shopping, and I remember it as a city where there are bicycles everywhere.  Kingston is the southern terminus of the Rideau Canal, which runs south from Ottawa.  It was opened in 1832, and originally built to provide a route from Montreal to Kingston (that didn't involve the St. Lawrence) after the War of 1812.

You can follow the water right out of Kingston, taking Hwy 2 to 33, which continues west.  Just past Adolphustown the ferry (runs every 1/2 hour) will take you to Prince Edward County.  The county is a peninsula, but it has that unique feel to it that islands have.  Mostly rural, but there is a growing winery industry in Prince Edward County.  You'll want to visit Sandbanks Provincial Park to see the sand dunes and the unique flora.

From there to Ottawa you'll probably want to take the road north to Belleville, then east on the 401.  You can go east all the way to the 416, or if you want something more scenic you can go as far as Kingston and then take Hwy 15 toward Perth and Smith's Falls.  This will put you in the Rideau Lakes area and the beginnings of the Laurentian Shield, which has some interesting topography.  Perth is the site of Canada's last pistol duel.  There's great bass, pike and muskie fishing in the Rideau Lakes, if you're into fishing.  BTW, 'rideau' is French for 'curtain', because of Rideau Falls, where it pours into the Ottawa River.  From Smith's Falls you can either head up to Hwy 7 and east to Ottawa, or go east along 43, through Merrickville and Kemptville to Hwy 16 and then north.

Ottawa is a city of parks, museums and government.  Being the capital of Canada, the Parliament buildings are there of course.  We don't even mind that Americans burnt them down (except for the Library), but it does get mentioned on the tour.  My favourite restaurant in Ottawa is a little place called Chef Pierre.  A little hard to find, but I like it.  As far as museums there's the war museum, the science and technology museum, the aviation museum, the mint, the museum of natural history, the museum of civilization, the national art centre, the national art gallery...  It's best to consider Ottawa and Hull together, although one is in Ontario and the other in Quebec across the river.  The museum of civilization is in Hull, for example.  Just north of there you get into the Gatineau region, and Gatineau National Park.  There used to be (and may still be) a steam train that runs from the museum of science and technology up to Wakefield, Quebec.  Sparks Street is a road that's closed to traffic, becoming an outdoor mall of sorts.  I love the Byward Market downtown, and if you go there you have to stop for a Beavertail.  Just ask anyone.  BTW, if you're in the market and you run into Shingosi selling T-shirts, say hi for me.

There are a lot of trails around the Ottawa region, and if you go out on them, bring some sunflower seeds with you and with a little patience the Black-capped Chickadees will land on your outstretched hand.  On one of Marcia's and my first 'dates' I took her out on one of these trails on an early morning in late October (26 actually - we were married eight years to the day later).  It was going to be a sunny day but it was still cold and all of these eastern garter snakes were stretched out on the rocks trying to get enough warmth to move.  I'd pick them up, coil them up, and stick them in the pockets of my denim jacket.  When they warmed up enough they'd crawl out and go on their way.  So here we are, walking along hand in hand with snakes crawling out my pockets and I'm thinking, 'This could work'.  Anyway...

From Ottawa to Algnonquin you need to head west and north.  Most people take hwy 17 to Renfrew and then go west on Hwy 60 from there.  As you go through Wilno (Canada's first Polish community, I think), stop at the Wilno Craft Gallery.  It's worth it.  One note of warning:  Renfrew county is pretty, but lousy for radio stations.  CBC is your only choice up there, not that there's anything wrong with CBC!  Finding your way is a little tricky, especially getting through Renfrew but you can ask people.  It's also possible to take hwy 7 west to hwy 41 at Kaladar, then go north on 41 to 60 but it's longer.

NB:  Hwy 60 goes through the south end of Algonquin Park and is the most traveled route.  Whitney marks the eastern end of the park, and it's possible to drive straight through the park for free but if you stop you'll need a permit every day except Christmas day.  There's another route into the north end of the park from Pembroke but if you're new to the area it's a lousy place to get lost (no cell phone service).  Algonquin Park has several distinct eco-zones, all of which you'll encounter going down the highway.  Algonquin Park has a very high population of moose, which are very big and very dark.  If you're driving, especially at night, be careful as hitting a ton of moose meat is going to cancel your vacation.  If you visit the Park museum, you'll come across a mount of an Algonquin Park wolf - a distinct subspecies.  That particular animal was hit by a car and had her pelvis broken.  She was put out of her pain with a .22 shell.  I was there that night, working on moose ticks in the park when we got the call.  Algonquin Park is big.  I was working there in 1983, which I remember was the year of the invasion of Grenada.  I remember that because Algonquin Park is 22 times the size of Grenada.  If you're looking for a romantic place to stay in the park, I recommend Killarney Lodge.

West of the park you'll eventually come to Huntsville, which is at the junction of hwy 60 and hwy 11.  To get to Tobermory (unless you have a boat) you're going to have to go south on hwy 11.  AVOID THIS ROUTE ON FRIDAYS AND SUNDAYS!!  It's the main conduit for cottagers from Toronto.  BTW, just north of Huntsville is Burk's Falls, and 12km east of Burk's Falls is Pickerel Lake Lodge.  I only mention it because Marcia and I used to manage that resort.

Huntsville USED to be a quaint little town, but it's become quite a boomtown with traffic from Toronto.  The locals refer to the summer season as the time when the 'terrorists' arrive.

From Huntsville you'll head south on 11.  You have a couple of choices as to how to get to Tobermory.  On your way, if you stop in Bracebridge there's a restaurant with great blueberry pie, but I don't remember the name of it.  Locals would know.  Where was I?  Oh yeah.  One route is to get off 11 at Orillia and take 12 west to the 400. Then you take the 400 north for a bit to 12 again, and head west to 93, then north to 25 and west again.  This sounds more complicated than it is.  It's a circuitous route, but you'll hit some great beaches as you go - Balm Beach, Ossossane Beach, Tiny Beach, Wasaga Beach, etc.  West of Wasaga Beach you hit 26, and that will take you through to Owen Sound.  Owen Sound is the south end of the Bruce Peninsula.  My brother-in-law's Vet clinic is there.

The more direct route is to take 11 south past Orillia to the junction with the 400 north of Barrie, the 400 south to 89, 89 west to Stayner and hwy 10, then 10 to Owen Sound.  Not nearly as pretty though.

If you're camping, NNE of Wiarton (home of the famous 'Wiarton Willie' - the groundhog for Groundhog Day) is the Cape Croker Indian Reserve and there's a nice campground there.

The Bruce Peninsula is the northern end of the Niagara escarpment, and it has some pretty unique geology.  It also has a remnant bear population and a lot of poison ivy, but I think I mentioned that already.  If you get to Tobermory you could always take the ferry to Manitoulin Island, then you'll be able to tell people you visited northern Ontario as well.  A lot closer to Tobermory is the ferry to Flowerpot Island - some really interesting geology there.

South down the 400 takes you to Toronto, and that's a vacation in itself.  Toronto's a cosmopolitan city of over 4 million people and has all that you might expect.  BTW, when you're driving down from Huntsville, consider that people commute to Toronto for work.

Anyway, any one of those places could fill its own travel guide.

Mike.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:15:02 am by wolfnowl »

vaphoto

• vaphoto site
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 11:40:40 am »

Mike:
After reading your last reply we will reserve Ottawa for another trip and focus on the remaining locations. So, Prince Edward County and then visit Toronto. Between Algonquin and Tobermory, which would be a better trip if we have to drop one or the other? I am leaning toward Tobermory at this point.
Thank for all your help.
Bob
Bob
vaphoto

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 07:11:50 pm »

Quote from: vaphoto
Mike:
After reading your last reply we will reserve Ottawa for another trip and focus on the remaining locations. So, Prince Edward County and then visit Toronto. Between Algonquin and Tobermory, which would be a better trip if we have to drop one or the other? I am leaning toward Tobermory at this point.
Thank for all your help.
Bob

Personally I would drop Prince Edward County and do Algonquin and Tobermory for scenery if only 2 of 3 locations are on the agenda.

Andrew
[size=12p

John R

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 08:59:35 pm »

edit- see dupe below
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 06:50:49 pm by John R »

John R

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 09:00:12 pm »

If you are going to stay in Toronto, you can do a one hour drive to one of several locations each day. You can go to Niagara region (wine country and the escarpment) not Niagara Falls. There are a few Conservation areas within a one hour drive. Like Balls Falls, which contains two Falls and hiking trail. If you look on the Hamilton Conservation area sites, you will find about 12 different falls all within a half hour of each other. They are part of the Niagara escarpment. And that is one hour from Toronto. Hamilton (Burlington area on Border) also has the Royal Botanical Gardens, always a pleasure to see even if you don't get a single photograph. The Cheltanham Badlands are about one hour north of Toronto on Old Baseline road just west of Hwy 10, and those are not to be missed. The Forks of the Credit river, now a Provincial Park, are in the same area as well as Belfountain, both beautiful conservation areas with a small cascading falls and wonderful hiking trails.

There are other areas but that's it for now.

JMR

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 04:48:45 pm »

http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/pets/dogs/ar...in-ont-bakery/1

Bear found munching on cookies in Ont. bakery
Provided by: The Canadian Press, Pets Editorial Team
TOBERMORY, Ont. - The owner of a bakery in Tobermory, Ont., has had a few sleepless nights after a black bear broke into the shop.

The bruin was first discovered last Friday enjoying some cookies as he sat atop a freezer at the Little Tub Bakery.

The Ministry of Natural Resources set a trap.

The owner of the shop says he woke up early today to loud noises as the bear got caught in the trap.

Wayne Hadcock says it was hard to get back to sleep because the bear was banging his body against the cage, trying to escape.

The bear is now in the custody of the Ministry of Natural Resources .

vaphoto

• vaphoto site
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 10:33:17 pm »

Thanks to everyone for their help. Your information has been invaluable. Our plan is a living thing and will change as we move around. For now: Prince Edward County; north to Algonquin by way of Bay Echo PP and possibly the Petroglyphs PP. Stay in the Huntsville area; then over to Midland and Penetanguishene before heading to the Tobermory area using Route 26; next work our way to Toronto by way of Elora, Fergus and possibly St. Jacobs; Several days in Toronto (as you pointed out, the more we researched the more we found worth seeing); after Toronto we will checkout Niagara-on-the-Lake before heading home.

We still need neat places to stay in the Huntsville area, Tobermory area and Niagara-on-the-Lake. We have Frommers and AAA guides but a recommendation is always helpful. Likewise, any recommendations on special food alone the way. If you see something we have overlooked or something that might be a waste of time, please point it out.

Thanks again
Bob

Bob
vaphoto

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 07:03:34 pm »

Quote from: vaphoto
Thanks to everyone for their help. Your information has been invaluable. Our plan is a living thing and will change as we move around. For now: Prince Edward County; north to Algonquin by way of Bay Echo PP and possibly the Petroglyphs PP. Stay in the Huntsville area; then over to Midland and Penetanguishene before heading to the Tobermory area using Route 26; next work our way to Toronto by way of Elora, Fergus and possibly St. Jacobs; Several days in Toronto (as you pointed out, the more we researched the more we found worth seeing); after Toronto we will checkout Niagara-on-the-Lake before heading home.

We still need neat places to stay in the Huntsville area, Tobermory area and Niagara-on-the-Lake. We have Frommers and AAA guides but a recommendation is always helpful. Likewise, any recommendations on special food alone the way. If you see something we have overlooked or something that might be a waste of time, please point it out.

Thanks again
Bob

Huntsville Area - we have stayed at the Deerhurst Resort and Delta Grandview.  These are higher end re$ort$, with higher end pricing (check their web-sites if interested).  If I recall a 5-7 day stay at the end of June cost us on the order of $2K (family of 4, icluding a lot of meal charges to the room) and that is just before peak season rates (July 1 to probably Labour Day).  Each has a couple of golf courses associated with them (each has a a top class 18 hole course and a number of restaurants (The Clubhouse restaurant at the Mark O'Meara course (Grandview) we quite enjoyed).  Grandview is smaller sized, has a very small beach if that's your thing, but I preferred it over Deerhurst which I found too large/crowded - but has a good sized beach.

In town there is also a restaurant called 3 Men and a Stove, quite popular, good food and is/was associated with some guy who has a popular cooking show (we were there 2 years ago so not sure if still there or not).  Great ice cream at Kawartha Dairy (roughly across the street from the 3 men restaurant).

Tobermory area I was only there once about 20 years ago travelling through to Manitoulin Island on business.  There are a lot of motels in the town itself, catering to people sleeping overnight to catch the morning ferry.  It's a beautifiul area, some nice vistas at the National Park (limestone cliffs into Georgian Bay - very clear water - you can see the large fish swimming below).  This is the part of Ontario where the Massassauga Rattlesnake hangs out, but I do not believe they are extremely poisonous if bitten - Wolf and Owl would be able to comment as I am sure he will shortly to correct all my biological misinformation.

Andrew
[size=12p

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 03:21:14 am »

Hi Andrew:  You're pretty close.  Actually the venom of a Massasauga rattlesnake is highly poisonous; the upside is that not much venom is typically injected with a bite and in a defensive attack they may not inject any venom at all.  They're not very big snakes - a big adult might reach 2-1/2 feet long.  In addition, Massasauga rattlesnakes are on the Canadian Endangered Species list, so finding one isn't easy.  And remember that the rattle is a defensive posture - it signifies basically, "You're in my space - back off!"

Mike.

P.S.  Here's a link from Parks Canada

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 11:36:52 am »

As an alternative to resorts and hotels, check out B&Bs. If you google B&B Canada, or B&B Ontario, you'll find links to terrific places in all the regions you'll be visiting. Nicer people and better breakfasts, in my experience.

While in Toronto, find a place near a subway and park the car. Downtown driving and parking rates are not what vacations are for.

The rattler info is useful but keep it in perspective. People have lived their entire lives never knowing that there are rattlers in Ontario. The odds of coming across one rounds to zero. Wearing good shoes is a much higher priority. If you're in the bush much, while up north, buy and use bug repellent.
--
Robert

Jonathan Lee

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 02:49:55 pm »

In Tobermory, I suggest taking the boat ride to Flower Pot island, very very pretty and when I was there last (15yrs ago), the lighthouse had a keeper and he was very friendly.  I also suggest you go to the provincial park just south of Tobermory.  From the park you can take a very easy walk to the water.  Very nice rock beach with the emerald water of Georgian Bay and cliffs.  the park has very nice secluded camp sites as well. If you are feeling in a hiking mood, the Bruce trail both south and north of the park provides exceptional trails along the water and excellent back country camping.

vaphoto

• vaphoto site
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 03:08:06 pm »

Greetings:
We are back home. We had a great trip. A highlight for us were the many villages and towns along the way with farmers markets, festivals and nice people. However, Toronto was the star, you said there was a lot do and you were right. We spent 4-days there and still had more to do.  Thanks to everyone for your kind help.
vaphoto
Bob
vaphoto
Pages: [1]   Go Up