Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Goodbye my Canon G2 - what to replace it?  (Read 4249 times)

Stuarte

• http://
Goodbye my Canon G2 - what to replace it?
« on: June 26, 2009, 08:16:08 am »

My Canon Powershot G2 bought in early 2003 has done great service and I've been pleased with the results it gives.  However, time has taken its toll and there's a large discoloured patch on all shots that looks like sensor dirt, plus the LCD screen is badly scuffed.  So I'm looking for a replacement.

What I like about the G2 is the optical viewfinder, the swing-out LCD at the back, RAW option and good zoom range.

What I don't like about it is the way the lens pops out when you switch the camera on, the way the lens cap doesn't stay on.

I've tried the Lumix FZ8 and really didn't like it - the viewfinder is electronic and the lag is just awful.

So what would you recommend to replace my beloved G2?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 10:54:54 am »

Quote from: Stuarte
My Canon Powershot G2 bought in early 2003 has done great service and I've been pleased with the results it gives.  However, time has taken its toll and there's a large discoloured patch on all shots that looks like sensor dirt, plus the LCD screen is badly scuffed.  So I'm looking for a replacement.

What I like about the G2 is the optical viewfinder, the swing-out LCD at the back, RAW option and good zoom range.

What I don't like about it is the way the lens pops out when you switch the camera on, the way the lens cap doesn't stay on.

I've tried the Lumix FZ8 and really didn't like it - the viewfinder is electronic and the lag is just awful.

So what would you recommend to replace my beloved G2?

With a twisty lcd?  Good luck.

The one that looks pretty interesting to me right now is the fuji finepix f200 exr.  But that is entirely due to its sensor and nothing to do with is ergonomics which are missing both your twisty lcd and viewfinder.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 12:32:56 pm »

The G10 is almost perfect for me.

But no twisty LCD and noise at high ISO (like other compacts).

But it has ND filter !!!

jdemott

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 02:55:22 pm »

I bought a Canon G10 as a replacement for my G5.  I thought I would miss the flip-out LCD screen (and I do a little bit), but the G10 screen is so much bigger, brighter and easier to view in daylight and from different angles that I'm quite happy with it.  The lens extends when the camera is turned on, but the lens cover is a sliding panel that moves neatly out of the way until the camera is turned off so you never have to worry about the lens cap.  I miss having the fast f/2 lens on the G5 instead of the f/2.8 on the G10 but the G10 covers a more useful zoom range (28-140mm equivalent).  Overall the G10 is a much better camera in a smaller and lighter package.  G10 still supports RAW and has an optical viewfinder (although, like the G5, the viewfinder is not full coverage of the image area).  The addition of top panel manual controls for ISO speed and exposure compensation is very nice.
John DeMott

Per Ofverbeck

• http://elgfoto.se
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 05:29:45 am »

Quote from: Stuarte
...So what would you recommend to replace my beloved G2?

Mine was a G3; still works, but was superseded by the Leica Digilux 2 more than 4 years ago, and then briefly by a Nikon D200 (too bulky for me).  The thing I missed most from the G3 was exactly that swivelling screen (never used the optical "finder" on the G3: too d-mn lousy...).

Then, last autumn, I got the Panasonic G1 with 14 - 45 lens, and WOW!  This was my G3, resurrected and far, far better!  Same swivel screen, only much bigger, brighter and sharper.  Very easy to focus manually (could be done with the G3 too, but it was a hit-or-miss affair). Much faster and better AF.  Big sensor, meaning higher resolution and vastly improved hi-ISO performance.  And the eye-level finder, while electronic, was much better than that tiny tube on the G3.

It´s a bit bulkier, but not all that much (I always kept a Lensmate adapter tube on my G3 to protect the lens, and to get a better way of holding the camera); the G3 wasn´t a pocketable camera either, and once you need to carry a case, it´s about the same.

I seriously suggest that you take a good look at the G1 (or GH1 if video is important to you).
Per Ofverbeck
My

Stuarte

• http://
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 09:54:33 am »

Thanks all.  I've looked at the G10 online and in the hand - what a solid, chunky piece of kit!

I've checked out the G1 online and I'll see if I can find one to handle.

Watch this space...

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 03:27:10 pm »

I will second the vote for the G1!

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up