Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon or Epson?  (Read 7742 times)

gr8fl4295

Canon or Epson?
« on: June 25, 2009, 11:50:36 pm »

I'm thinking of upgrading my printer (currently have a Epson 2200) to work on some portfolios.
I've always been a Epson fan, but recently contemplated switching to Canon.  Don't ask why, or maybe you can give me a good reason to or not to.  ??

Anyway, I've been looking at the Canon Pixma Pro 9500 Mark II and the Epson R2880.
Can anyone give me advice on these?
What are the main differences?  If any.
What is your preference?
Most of my prints will be in color, but would also like a printer that does exceptional B&W.
I don't print all the time, but of course, when I do, I want perfect beautiful prints.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Canon or Epson?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 11:43:20 am »

I can't give you any advice on wither of the printers you mentioned, but I suggest you consider the Epson 3800.  It's 4" wider than the 2880, and the amount of ink in the box alone will more than make up for the price difference.  Plus, it's a pro printer, so build quality is more robust, and the prints are absolutely outstanding.  I've heard good things about the 2880, but why not go large and save some money in the long run?

jjlphoto

Canon or Epson?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 01:09:23 pm »

Plus, the 3800 has a footprint not much larger than the 2880/9500. Best printer before you get to the big sheet/roll feed models.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Canon or Epson?
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 09:49:59 pm »

Plus, the 3800 has many pages at Eric Chan's website devoted to its use with great profiles for advanced B&W printing.
David

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
Canon or Epson?
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 10:16:40 pm »

I would consider the Epson 3800. The 9500II is a nice printer, but for those who print on cotton fine art paper the 35mm margins on the top and bottom is a real pain. The 2880 is also a nice printer, but you will get a much more capable printer with the 3800 if you are willing to pay some more up front for the printer plus a ton of ink. Get the 3800.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

howardm

Canon or Epson?
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 10:09:20 am »

In case no one has mentioned it, a very nice larger format printer is the

EPSON 3800

gr8fl4295

Canon or Epson?
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 11:12:20 am »

ok, then what are the main differences in the editions, Standard, Portrait, and Professional?

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Canon or Epson?
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 08:08:48 pm »

Quote from: gr8fl4295
ok, then what are the main differences in the editions, Standard, Portrait, and Professional?
http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Ep...q.html#editions

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Canon or Epson?
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 01:06:26 pm »

Quote from: gr8fl4295

Software, plain and simple.  Unless you want to get a RIP that is usable only for Epson papers, get the Standard.  The printers themselves are identical.

Deepsouth

Canon or Epson?
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 06:14:44 am »

I own the 9500 MK I, but the differences between that and the Mk II are negligible. Buy a 17 inch printer. The 13 inch machines, regardless of brand,  are not well supported. The 9500 is indeed a very nice printer, capable of wonderful results, but the support you get in the 17 inch world from both OEMS and aftermarket (like here) is far and away what you will ever get from the 13 inch community.

Jonathan Cross

Canon or Epson?
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 01:11:17 pm »

I have just gone through the same loop, and purchased the 9500MKII.  Why?  I do not have the print demand to justify a 3800 (I am an amateur).  The larger cartridges of the 3980 may be cheaper per print, but would hurt me to purchase, and if one malfunctioned I would be really mad.  Why the 9500 mkII rather than the 2880?  2 reasons;  first you do not have to change cartridges on the 9500 for different finishes, and secondly IMHO the 16 bit print is an improvement and I do think the 2880 has this facility (correct me if I am wrong).  Before anyone asks, yes I do shoot 14 bit RAW and use 16-bit TIFF files, so 16-bit printing is making some sense of my camera investment.

At the end of the day the decision will come out from answering honestly and in as much detail as possible, 'What will I do with this new printer?'

Jonathan in UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up