Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase Acquires Leaf  (Read 53075 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #160 on: July 02, 2009, 09:12:27 am »

Quote from: Anders_HK
DB makers do not make nor research sensors; Dalsa and Kodak does.

Traditionally true. However, Phase One holds the patent on Sensor+ which is a technology that requires both sensor hardware, digital back firmware, and computer software to work end-to-end.

It's not entirely infeasible that with only two major digital back producers that the digital back makers could become the major determiners of what technologies are researched.

After all if you are a car engine manufacturer and you only have two clients you probably would listen to them very carefully about what veins of research and development you should pursue.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Carsten W

Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #161 on: July 02, 2009, 10:08:15 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Traditionally true. However, Phase One holds the patent on Sensor+ which is a technology that requires both sensor hardware, digital back firmware, and computer software to work end-to-end.

I thought that Sensor+ was just pixel binning to get higher ISO? This has been around for a while in practice.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #162 on: July 02, 2009, 10:48:00 am »

Quote from: carstenw
I thought that Sensor+ was just pixel binning to get higher ISO? This has been around for a while in practice.

The concept has been around for a while. This specific implementation/methodology is much better than anything else I've seen.

http://www.phaseone.com/apsis/160409Sensorplus.pdf

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 10:48:27 am by dougpetersonci »

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #163 on: July 02, 2009, 11:11:18 am »

Quote from: carstenw

The unique element of pixel binning with Sensor Plus technology is that while resolution is reduced and sensitivity increased, the user still experiences coverage of the same area of the sensor, ie; the entire sensor, not a reduced area of the sensor. Also, because we implemented the process before the A/D conversion, we eliminated the issue of exponential noise to signal ratio that has traditionally been the downfall in terms of image quality.

The link Doug posted is a good explanation.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Carsten W

Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2009, 11:57:53 am »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One
The unique element of pixel binning with Sensor Plus technology is that while resolution is reduced and sensitivity increased, the user still experiences coverage of the same area of the sensor, ie; the entire sensor, not a reduced area of the sensor. Also, because we implemented the process before the A/D conversion, we eliminated the issue of exponential noise to signal ratio that has traditionally been the downfall in terms of image quality.

The latter is a good point, although I am not sure how often it would have been an issue. As for the former, I am not sure which pixel binning implementations you refer to which didn't use the whole sensor.

I recall reading a series of articles about how to use multiple images and Photoshop to achieve higher resolution (stitching), greater coverage (panoramas), greater dynamic range (HDR), lower noise (pixel binning), and so on. There is a lot more software out there now to support the various workflows, of course, but without wanting to criticize the development of Sensor+, I find it hard to imagine that this is a do-or-don't feature for anyone. It would make life easier for a few people, but simply downressing a 60MP to 15MP image in software would probably get you 95% of the way there. The rest is very incremental.

Honestly, and I am not pointing at Phase One only here, the advances in medium format digital in the last several years have been so minimal, mostly focused on higher MP counts, slight increments in convenience, and higher ISO performance. The whole field has been relatively stagnant for quite some time, and I don't find it surprising that the general tendency is downwards. The Leica S2 is about the first really interesting camera in MF for quite some time (and the arTec a bit too), and I think that this may be the first camera in 10 years which has the potential to grow the field, rather than just staving off the shrinking. The combination of 35mm handling, size and weight, and MF quality has the potential to change how high-end fashion studios work. Hopefully the software falls into place too, and the service end works out.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

BJNY

Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2009, 02:16:18 pm »

I love this post by gwhitf:

Quote from: gwhitf
That's why I don't fully understand Phase One getting so chummy with Mamiya -- it's like some Supermodel hitting on that Steve Forty-Year-Old-Virgin guy. Phase has such a sterling reputation, and then they choose Sammy The Schlub to go to the Ball with. Does not make sense, in terms of branding. But I guess when Sammy is the only girl left in the bar, you just do a couple of shots of Jack, grit your teeth, reach for the paper bag, straighten your collar, and then try out your best Pick Up line to get her in the car with you. The bar's about the close and there's no one else left in the room.

I will be very sad if the Hy6/AFi doesn't continue.  
The upcoming AFD3n with vertical grip looks to me a kludge.
It won't surprise me if the cost is similar, while the AFi is real performance gear IMHO.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 02:33:15 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

TMARK

Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2009, 05:45:57 pm »

Quote from: BJNY
I love this post by gwhitf:

I will be very sad if the Hy6/AFi doesn't continue.  
The upcoming AFD3n with vertical grip looks to me a kludge.
It won't surprise me if the cost is similar, while the AFi is real performance gear IMHO.

An updated RZ would do the trick, rather than the AFd series.  Until its new from the ground up, (maybe the DF will be?) the entire Mamiya/Phase AFd enterprise is a kludge.  Great back, good enough camera.  

I like my RZ/Leaf 54s combo. It really is fantastic.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2009, 12:36:52 am »

Title: Franke & Heidecke: Leaf confirms AFi camera on hold
Feature: Daily News
Date: 6 July 2009

Reacting to the news of Franke & Heidecke's closure, Leaf has confirmed to BJP that its camera system - the Leaf AFi - is now on hold and won't be sold by the new company - Leaf Imaging - formed by Phase One

Taking the medium format camera market by storm, the news that the German manufacturer Franke & Heidecke was to close before September could spell the end of the Leaf AFi camera system developed in Israel.

BJP can now confirm that the system is now on hold. Ziv Argov, the head of sales and marketing for Leaf Imaging - a company created by Phase One and former managers at Leaf - tells BJP that while it has the rights for the Leaf AFi, it 'is not planning to manufacture it. With the complex situation in Germany, the Leaf AFi is currently on hold.'

He adds: 'Leaf Imaging will not be selling the AFi on day one of operations. We have to determine its viability. We are seriously interested in participating with others in making the system commercially available. Obviously, this will require one more partner with production capabilities, including lenses, shutters, etc.'

Last week, in a wide-ranging interview with BJP, Henrik O Hakonsson, president and CEO at Phase One confirmed the AFi system was being reevaluated after Phase One agreed to form Leaf Imaging to buy Leaf's assets. He had warned that the system's fate would be determined by Franke & Heidecke's financial situation.

RELATED ARTICLES
Franke & Heidecke: Sinar reacts to news of closure [06 July]
Franke & Heidecke to close [04 July]
Future uncertain for Leaf's AFi [01 July]
Leaf and Sinar: business as usual [18 March]

Source:

© Incisive Media Ltd. 2009
Incisive Media Limited, Haymarket House, 28-29 Haymarket, London SW1Y 4RX, is a company registered in the United Kingdom with company registration number 04038503
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up