Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phocus and SSD  (Read 2120 times)

Shedaoshai

• http://
Phocus and SSD
« on: June 25, 2009, 07:36:49 am »

hey guys

i'm planing to update my macbook pro with a SSD. Will the upgrade effect phocus in aspects of write speed during tethering?
anyone got experiences?

Working with H3D39 and Phocus 1.2.

thx!

MichaelAlanBielat

• http://www.MichaelAlanFineArt.com
Phocus and SSD
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 09:27:51 am »

The main advantages of a solid state drive (ssd) is that there are no moving parts, thus more rugged, silent and there are no mechanical delays so it has a low access time and latency (that means faster boot and application launch times) which is always good. They also have a faster startup and are fast for random access for reading because there is no read/write head to move.

A disadvantage is that they have slower write speeds and they are costly.

(That information was from Wikipedia so things may be different now)

I do not own a laptop with an SSD drive. These are just specs that I looked up.

So to answer your question based upon the information above:

You should be able to run Phocus no problem. The boot process and startup time of the software will be faster. Any RAW file review should also be faster because it is READING off of the SSD drive. I am even guessing that the startup time of your OS will be cut in half.

Onto Write Speeds:

I did a quick Google search and found that one SSD manufacturer (OCZ) has read times of 244mb/second and a write time of 172mb/second.
Comparing that against a 7200 RPM hard drive was like 98mb/second read time and a write time of 87mb/second.

So it looks like the technology has advanced in the line of SSD drives. Take a look at the model of SSD drive that will be used and get the information and compare it against what you are using today.

Keep in mind that the companies want to make their stuff look amazing so they do their benchmark tests against sequential read/write rates which are much faster than random I/O that we often do when using a computer so take their specs with a grain of salt. For example, that OCZ SSD drive I mentioned earlier said that it could handle 250mb/second write times when in fact, benchmark software proved it to be an average of 172mb/second.

I think it is safe to say that you are in the clear and will notice some performance boost with the SSD drive and Phocus tethering

Dick Roadnight

Phocus and SSD
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 09:59:08 am »

Quote from: MichaelAlanBielat
The main advantages of a solid state drive (ssd) is that there are no moving parts, thus more rugged, silent and there are no mechanical delays so it has a low access time and latency (that means faster boot and application launch times) which is always good. They also have a faster startup and are fast for random access for reading because there is no read/write head to move.

A disadvantage is that they have slower write speeds and they are costly.

(That information was from Wikipedia so things may be different now)

I do not own a laptop with an SSD drive. These are just specs that I looked up.

So to answer your question based upon the information above:

You should be able to run Phocus no problem. The boot process and startup time of the software will be faster. Any RAW file review should also be faster because it is READING off of the SSD drive. I am even guessing that the startup time of your OS will be cut in half.

Onto Write Speeds:

I did a quick Google search and found that one SSD manufacturer (OCZ) has read times of 244mb/second and a write time of 172mb/second.
Comparing that against a 7200 RPM hard drive was like 98mb/second read time and a write time of 87mb/second.

So it looks like the technology has advanced in the line of SSD drives. Take a look at the model of SSD drive that will be used and get the information and compare it against what you are using today.

Keep in mind that the companies want to make their stuff look amazing so they do their benchmark tests against sequential read/write rates which are much faster than random I/O that we often do when using a computer so take their specs with a grain of salt. For example, that OCZ SSD drive I mentioned earlier said that it could handle 250mb/second write times when in fact, benchmark software proved it to be an average of 172mb/second.

I think it is safe to say that you are in the clear and will notice some performance boost with the SSD drive and Phocus tethering
This is useful information, but...

I think much of this depends how much ram you have... (8GB of ram would, I think have a better effect on speed) and the data transfer rate of your connection... trouble is that the mac book pro only has one firewire 800 port, so you would need gigabit ethernet.

An SSD might enable you to save spare versions of the files, free up ram...
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

MichaelAlanBielat

• http://www.MichaelAlanFineArt.com
Phocus and SSD
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 01:14:33 pm »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
This is useful information, but...

I think much of this depends how much ram you have... (8GB of ram would, I think have a better effect on speed) and the data transfer rate of your connection... trouble is that the mac book pro only has one firewire 800 port, so you would need gigabit ethernet.

An SSD might enable you to save spare versions of the files, free up ram...

RAM helps totally BUT... RAM acts like a camera buffer and temporarily stores data and contains only the most current data. Basically the files you are working on are all stored in RAM until you do a save.

His concern was about write times. That is when you physically do a save or a move to the computer.

As far as the FireWire 800 / Gigabit Ethernet thing you mentioned, are you concerned about him need the extra port or faster Ethernet connection for fast file backups? Like one FireWire 800 for the camera and another for a separate Hard Drive with FireWire Connection or Have the Gigabit Ethernet cable to quickly send the backup files to a server of some sort?

I think just one FireWire 800 port is fine. Just make the backups to a USB or FireWire External Hard drive after the shoot...

Just make sure that that you have a FireWire 800/800 cable. Because the H3D cameras take FireWire 800.

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
Phocus and SSD
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 01:14:34 pm »

For what it's worth, I'm running Phocus on SSDs, although on a PC. I have to agree with the post before mine, don't look to SSD drives as the only factor; bus speed, RAM and video are key factors. In other words, just spending on SSDs may not get you the speed improvement you seek for the $'s spent.

Kind regards,
Derek
Pages: [1]   Go Up