Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: St. Columba's Tree  (Read 2421 times)

Michael West

St. Columba's Tree
« on: June 24, 2009, 01:41:53 pm »

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
St. Columba's Tree
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 05:25:10 pm »

Quote from: Michael West

It looks like you had to climb the tree to get the shot.  I hope you didn't break anything (or damage any equipment!) getting the shot!

Regarding the image, the branches make some interesting lines, and the foliage growth really adds interest to the scene.  Sharpness is very good too.  I find myself wanting to see more on the tree, which is cut-off on the right side.  I would also think about cropping out the white structure on the lower left.  I don't think it would hurt the image to do so.  Other than the items mentioned, it's a pleasant image with a unique perspective.

Michael West

St. Columba's Tree
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 08:39:39 pm »

Thank you. Honestly I hadn't noticed the white structure prior to your mention.

That being said the tree is next to a stairway which allows for a number of perspectives.

popnfresh

St. Columba's Tree
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 01:57:11 pm »

That is a really cool cooking tree. Unfortunately, it looks like a Coastal Live Oak that's been infected by sudden oak death (the stuff that looks like sawdust on the tree's bark). If so, it's not long for this world. I live not far from Inverness and the CLO in front of my house is infected and is going to be taken down soon. SOD is epidemic among Live Oaks in the North Bay. It's a very sad situation.

ProPhotoInsights

St. Columba's Tree
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 04:29:33 pm »

Lovely image.I look at this and feel I want to convert it to monochrome probably due to the wonderful textures.
Simon
www.ProPhotoInsights.Net
Digital Photography Tutorials
"Step Behind The Scenes On Pro Photo Shoots"

www.plantphoto.com

Michael West

St. Columba's Tree
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 12:12:49 am »

Quote from: popnfresh
That is a really cool cooking tree. Unfortunately, it looks like a Coastal Live Oak that's been infected by sudden oak death (the stuff that looks like sawdust on the tree's bark). If so, it's not long for this world. I live not far from Inverness and the CLO in front of my house is infected and is going to be taken down soon. SOD is epidemic among Live Oaks in the North Bay. It's a very sad situation.

I seem to have a way of picking subjects that are not long for this world. I have a fairly large collection of photographs of honeybees started about the time the stories of decreasing number of bees made "the news"

Id hate to see this tree go the way f the dinosaurs

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up