Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does DNG 1.3 put an end to .xmp sidecar files?  (Read 2258 times)

dreed

Does DNG 1.3 put an end to .xmp sidecar files?
« on: June 24, 2009, 12:53:28 pm »

I don't know if this forum or the ACR one is the correct place to bring this up, but on the surface of it, it would seem that the new DNG 1.3 format, by virtue of its opcodes, should allow for the "raw processing recipe" to be stored in the file.

The first question this raises is does this mean that .xmp sidecar files are now optional for those using DNG as "their" raw picture data storage format?

What I'm trying to resolve in my mind is whether or not the new SDK means that any programmer who uses it is then able to render a .DNG file to the screen in the same manner as the photographer, without needing to launch a full copy of LR or ACR.

Does anyone know any more about this?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 01:12:27 pm »

Not needing XMP sidecars has always been one of the advantages of using DNG, and the raw processing recipe has always been included in the DNG's metadata. Opcodes is new and is for a specific lens correction issue, but has potential for further development in that area.

John

Panopeeper

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 02:24:11 pm »

Quote from: dreed
The first question this raises is does this mean that .xmp sidecar files are now optional for those using DNG as "their" raw picture data storage format?
Sidecar files for DNG raw images have been and will be created only if the DNG file is "read only", as opposed to the native raw files, which are never modified by ACR.

What I'm trying to resolve in my mind is whether or not the new SDK means that any programmer who uses it is then able to render a .DNG file to the screen in the same manner as the photographer, without needing to launch a full copy of LR or ACR
This has nothing to do with DNG 1.3. Any programmer could and can utilize the adjustment specifications from three sources:

- DNG tags related to adjustments,
- XMP data (stored in the XMP tag),
- the in-camera specifications, stored in MakerNote.

The MakerNotes reflects that, what the photographer intended or beleived to intend through settings in the camera, like picture style, contrast, sharpness, etc. These are in proprietory form, not converted (and not convertible) in DNG tags.

Thus, a DNG processing program can reproduce what the photographer asked for only if venturing outside DNG, into the proprietory area.
Gabor
Pages: [1]   Go Up