Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual Monitor Configuration  (Read 8079 times)

dmerger

Dual Monitor Configuration
« on: June 24, 2009, 10:50:21 am »

I’m using two monitors.  Is it possible to configure Photoshop CS so that just my image is on one monitor and everything else is on the other monitor?  I can easily move my tools and palettes to my second monitor, but not the menu bar and options bar, which I’d like to have visible but not on the same monitor as my image.  

I’m using Windows XP Pro and a Matrox P650 graphics card.  My monitors are set up in independent mode.

Dean
Dean Erger

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 02:52:50 pm »

Yes, no problem.

Pull Photoshop to the monitor where you want all the tools to reside.  Maximize it there.

Open a file, drag it to the other monitor. Maximize it on that monitor.

That is how I use Photoshop.  It defaults to the same setup later - you just have to maximize the file that you are opening.  Unless there is something that I am missing?

My image monitor is a Dell 20" wide screen in a "portrait" orientation.  I also have two Sony Trinitron 21" CRTs (3 monitors total.)  I usually watch TV on the 3rd monitor when I am editting all day (old stuff that doesn't require much attention, like ER re-runs.)  

dmerger

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 03:29:52 pm »

mmurph, I tried to drag my photo file to my other monitor, but it doesn't work.  I can drag my photo so it appears to be almost entirely off my first monitor, but no further, and none of my photo ever appears on my second monitor.  I can drag my tools and palettes to my second monitor, but not my photo.

Dean
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 03:31:35 pm by dmerger »
Dean Erger

mmurph

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 07:19:53 am »

Hmmmm ....

OK. Let's go through some details. Then I will try to find a write-up somewhere else ..

Ignoring my "extra" monitor (my 3rd.)  

I have my Dell 20inch wide screen set up in the center (size 1050x1680), my Sony 21" Trinitron CRT off to the right (1200x1600).  The Dell is on DVI, the Sony on VGA (CRT) connction. They are on seperate cards - Dell on a Radeon,  Trinitron (both Trinitrons actually) on a Nvidia GeForce. I assunme there is a motherboard video chipset that is not used - should be disabled in BIOS (see below.)  

I am on a PC running Windfows XP Service Pack 2, 32 bit. Photoshop CS2.

If I "right click" on my dresktop, under Properties->Settngs, I have "Use this device as my primary monitor" and "Extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" both checked for tthe Dell in the middle on DVI.  

On the Trinitron., only the second bocx, "Extend my windows desktop .." is checked.

I am already set up on 2 monitors, but I'll try to undo and "redo" it.

Open Photoshop. With Photoshop half sized (not minimizerd or maximized), I can drag it to either monitor.  

Size it to fit one of the monitors. Click the top bar to "maximize" the window. It fully fills the monitor with no "overhang."   This works the same on either monitor.

When I movbe the Photopshop window, the tool palette and other small windoiws that I havce open - Info, Actions, Layers -0 stay behind on teh previous desktop.

When I open a file in Photoshop, it opens half size - neither minimized or maximized. I can easily pull that onto either monitor. It moves very quickly and freely. I can also have it "straddle" two monitors.

When I cvlick on it, it maximizes to fill the monitor for whichever "side" it is on.

Question: When you go into Properties->Settings (ertight cloicvk on teh desktop) and have it identify teh monbitors. does it identify both as you would expect?

No extra active moniotors? (that don't correspond to any phjysical monitor?)

Are you using 1 video card, or 2 sepoerate cards?  There is a section on the "troubleshoot" series of questions (under Properties->Settings) about your BIOS setup and the order of teh cards. Yoiu might have a look. You can see the details of your card in "Device Manager." This is what I gwet:

Radeon: PCI Slot 10 (PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1)

Nvidia: PCI Slot 3 (PCI bus 5, device 2, function 0)

From Windows Troubleshooting:

When you install your display adapters, check the following:

Your primary display adapter should be installed in the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) slot 0 or 1. This slot is usually the farthest from the Industry Standard Architecture (ISA) slots and nearest the edge of the motherboard. This display adapter should be connected to your primary monitor.

If you are using both PCI and Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) display adapters, the PCI display adapter must be installed in the first PCI slot on your computer.

Note

If you have an AGP display adapter and a PCI display adapter installed, most computers select the PCI card as the primary display adapter because the PCI bus is enumerated before the AGP bus. This enumeration is a function of your computer's BIOS and is not controlled by the Windows operating system.

To use an AGP card as the primary display adapter, and a PCI card as the secondary, one of the following conditions must exist:

The computer's BIOS must support the enumeration of the AGP bus before the PCI bus.
The PCI display adapter must have the option to disable VGA functionality at the hardware level. Check the documentation for your PCI display adapter for information about disabling VGA functionality.
Can you use multiple display support when your display adapters are correctly positioned on the PCI bus?

Yiu might check in general taht your BIOS is set up correctkly, WEhen installing some video cards, you need to diasble soem of teh BIODS video card default mpotherboard capability OI be;ieve. A little hazy on thios - it has been 3 years since I had to do that to install a second monitor on another machine.

Can't reboot my machine toi check my BIOS setting swhile writing this.     Here ius a bit of an "article" on thsi:

http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-Onboard/Int...n-Your-Computer

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6121_102-0.html?threadID=190203

Sorry, typos - need to install IE spell  ;>)

Good luck. report back!

Best,
Michael

dmerger

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 11:53:30 am »

Michael, thanks for your help.  It’s remarkable that people like you (and there are many who participate in this forum) take the time to help complete strangers.  

I currently use an LCD and CRT monitor.  I’m on a PC running Windows XP Pro with all updates installed. I use Photoshop CS.  I have just one video card installed, a Matrox P650.  It is an AGP card and supports two monitors.  My LCD uses a DVI connection and, of course, my CRT uses an analog connection.  My motherboard does not have a built in video adapter.

Right clicking on my desktop produces the same results as you obtain. It shows just my two monitors with the standard options.

I can drag Photoshop to either monitor and maximize it just like you. When I move the Photopshop window, the tool palette and other small windows that I have open - Info, Actions, Layers - stay behind on the previous desktop.

When I open a file in Photoshop, it opens half size, and I can drag it around my first monitor, but I can’t drag it (or any part of it) to my second monitor.

In summary, it appears that my system works just like your system (I can easily drag Photoshop to either monitor, and can drag my tools and palettes to either monitor), except I can’t drag a file to my second monitor.  

You are using two video cards.  I’m using one.  You are using Photoshop CS 2.  I’m using Photoshop CS.  Perhaps one or both of these differences is the cause of my inability to move my photos to my second monitor.

Dean
Dean Erger

mmurph

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 04:48:11 pm »

There are updated drivers for at least one of the P650 cards - dated Jun. 5, 2009. You might try installing those.

You could also take a close look at the desktop management software. Looks like there are a lot of options. Also limitations on montor settings of course, both CRT and LCD.

Plus an option for "stretched" desktop v. independent monitors that sounds different than default windows options. I didn't install it to check it out.  Don't know if that is updated from your version, it has a 2008 date.

If you have any cheap video card from another computer, you could try throwing that in and trying it with the CRT.  You might be limited on resoltuion, but even low end cards should be OK for testing. Worst case you could use a $15 card to drive the CRT with palletes, should be sufficient.

Good luck! Let us know what youu find.

Best,
Michael

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 12:17:41 pm »

Michael needs a metal...

heck, someone give'm a digital back!

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

mmurph

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 01:04:47 pm »

Ah, I need a *life*  

But I will take a digital back instead ...

dmerger

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 04:25:36 pm »

My video card driver is up to date. Moreover, since both my monitors seem to be working fine, and I can drag the Photoshop desktop, tools and palettes to either monitor, I doubt that the problem is with my hardware, firmware or system generally.  The only glitch that I’ve noticed is the inability to move my photo to my second monitor.  It seems to me that the most likely cause is Photoshop CS.  Perhaps Photoshop CS just doesn’t have this feature.

I haven’t tried to use the stretched desktop because it appears to require the use of the same monitor resolution for both monitors.  Since one of my monitors is a wide aspect ratio LCD and the other is a typical CRT, it doesn’t seem feasible to use the same monitor resolution for both monitors.

I don’t have a spare video card to try.  Maybe it would solve my problem, but since my system appears to be functioning fine except for this one glitch, I suspect that a second video card wouldn’t solve my problem.  
Dean Erger

mmurph

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 04:54:50 pm »

Maybe download the trial version of CS4 from Adobe and test that to confirm?

I **think** you can run both OK. Not sure if I would take the risk on my main machine?
Pages: [1]   Go Up