Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand Staircase/Capitol Reef  (Read 3947 times)

jdlevy

Grand Staircase/Capitol Reef
« on: April 21, 2004, 09:10:28 pm »

Alan,

If you are spending a couple of days at Capitol Reef, make one of them the Cathedral Valley drive on the north side of the park. I have seen other than SUV's on the road, but I would recommend a vehicle capable of off road travel. It is a great drive with wonderful colors and formations and it should not be crowded.
David
 My

Bill Belvin

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 07:45:11 am »

Photographing Moqui marbles are of interest to some, you need to go out to spencer flats to see them, do a web search.
In the fall when the Cottonwoods are changing the hike to Phipps Arch had many good ops. In the warmer months the following canyons: Peekaboo, Spooky, Zebra, and Neon.  Take minimal gear if going into any of the first three which are narrow slots and may have water/midget rattlesnakes in them.  None of these measure up to Antelope canyon though.  I have also seen commercial photographs of Grosvenor(sp?) arch and the pipes at Kodachrome State Park.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 07:24:22 pm »

Hi,

Anyone have any suggestions for this area? I know about Devils Garden and Calf Creek falls and the main areas, any other suggestions? Around first week of may.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

b.e.wilson

• http://science.uvsc.edu/wilson
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 04:26:20 pm »

Grand Staircase is a big place, lots to see.

I like the Dry Fork of the Coyote, has a nice narrows and a couple nice slot canyons, just off the Hole-in-the-Rock road.

Also, The Burr Trail is quite nice, especially Long Canyon and some of the checkered Navajo buttes toward the town of Boulder.

Bill Belvin

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 07:48:44 am »

One more, the badlands East of Capitol Reef near Caineville Mesa (sometimes called the Blue Hills) can be very beautiful in the  right light.  One of Kelsey's hiking books describes a good hike in this area.
Pages: [1]   Go Up