Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Capture and Lightroom 2  (Read 2614 times)

Streetwise

• DavidAnderson.tv
Leaf Capture and Lightroom 2
« on: June 23, 2009, 09:48:40 pm »

The only search I can find so far suggests that Leaf Capture is able to "pull more info" from a RAW file that LR2. Yet, the controls that LR2 offers to a file is quite amazing to be sure. So with that said, how are you using the two (assuming that you do)...

I just completed an architectural shoot with an Aptus 65 where I know I'm going to need to do a lot of Photoshop work with layer masks, composites, etc, but I want to know what will give me the cleanest images to work with. Typically in the past, I would to export to TIF from LC11 and then work with those files in PS. After playing with LR2 with my wedding work, I'm wondering now if a better approach might be to open the RAW files directly in LR2, make some modifications prior to the Photoshop work. Thoughts?

Dave

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 02:15:40 am »

Hi,
Leaf Capture without any doubt.
When I started out with the Leaf I switched between Leaf Capture and ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) but after a few days this stopped already.
The quality you get with Leaf capture is simply stunning, there is not only more detail but also if there is noise the noise is rendered more nicely (has to be seen to understand).
Also moire is easily fixed in Leaf Capture, and last but not least I find the colors in Leaf Capture much better especially when playing arround with the profiles they deliver with the software.

R(Vienna)

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 05:10:22 am »

Hey there

Using Leaf Capture for my leaf raw´s and lightroom for my nikon raw´s...

I think Leaf Capture is the more professional tool for working with Leaf Backs, Lightroom has some other advantages )

take care

robb

wolfbellw.

• http://www.wolfgang-bellwinkel.de
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 05:48:54 am »

i found leaf capture less userfriendly and pretty slow compared to acr and i did'nt really see much difference or improvement when it comes to the quality of the files.
moire reduction works so so, sometimes well but not always satisfactory.

E_Edwards

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 07:57:33 am »

We prefer to use Lightroom for still-life.  Friendlier and quicker to use overall, and we find the file results a touch better than Leaf for us. But I could work with either program and be just as happy.

Edward

meurten

• http://www.maartennoordijk.nl
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 06:51:01 pm »

I use both programs as well but for the Leaf files Leaf Capture gives better results.
When I need speed i sometimes use Lightroom but it doesn't do the job as well as Capture.
( Unless I tweek it so much it doesn't matter anymore, lightroom is good for that to  :-)  )
Defenitly in the shadows or in dark parts capture is the tool to go for.
I still find it a tricky program, most of all the curve tool, but it is worth it.

Good luck

meurten

• http://www.maartennoordijk.nl
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 06:51:29 pm »

I use both programs as well but for the Leaf files Leaf Capture gives better results.
When I need speed i sometimes use Lightroom but it doesn't do the job as well as Capture.
( Unless I tweek it so much it doesn't matter anymore, lightroom is good for that to  :-)  )
Defenitly in the shadows or in dark parts capture is the tool to go for.
I still find it a tricky program, most of all the curve tool, but it is worth it.

Good luck

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 02:26:31 am »

Quote from: E_Edwards
We prefer to use Lightroom for still-life.  Friendlier and quicker to use overall, and we find the file results a touch better than Leaf for us. But I could work with either program and be just as happy.

Edward

ACR.
For my kind of work, when we do compositing it's much much easier to use ACR as we can tweak a few files at the same time and quickly compare.
Plus the exact controls over specific colours is a godsend.
Tweaking the right contrast levels in Leaf is also abit of a hit or miss using a curve. (too much like throwing a dart sometimes)
ACR really stands out for it's Blacks, Highlight Recovery and Fill Light options.

I also find Leaf Capture's grain function to be very troubling. It seems like a sharpening tool, but I prefer to do my own sharpening in Photoshop.
I still have yet to figure out what is the optimal setting to limit Leaf Capture's effect on that.
At least with ACR the Noise tool and Sharpening tool are quite specific.

Plus am I the only one who notices that Leaf seems to do some sort of smudging of textures? I find the out of focus areas rendered by Leaf Capture to seem almost watercolour-like
Pages: [1]   Go Up