Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini DisplayPort Dual-Link DVI Issues  (Read 6804 times)

richardhagen

Mini DisplayPort Dual-Link DVI Issues
« on: June 23, 2009, 06:44:45 pm »

Does anyone have problems with the unibody MacBook Pros while using the Mini DisplayPort Dual-Link DVI adapter? I want to buy an external monitor for my (unibody) mbp but I've read that there are problems hooking them up using the mini displayport Dual-Link DVI adapter. I am interested in getting an Nec or Eizo but I've been reluctant since reading about problems.

Here's the link:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?...9564301#9564301

Cheers,
rh

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 04:16:23 am »

Quote from: richardhagen
Does anyone have problems with the unibody MacBook Pros while using the Mini DisplayPort Dual-Link DVI adapter? I want to buy an external monitor for my (unibody) mbp but I've read that there are problems hooking them up using the mini displayport Dual-Link DVI adapter. I am interested in getting an Nec or Eizo but I've been reluctant since reading about problems.

Here's the link:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?...9564301#9564301

Cheers,
rh

i had one used with my dell 30 inch. it would flicker, and every now and then pop to a diffused state- like the screen is out of sync and unreadable. but if i wiggled the plug it would become fine.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

richardhagen

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 01:08:04 pm »

Quote from: paul_jones
i had one used with my dell 30 inch. it would flicker, and every now and then pop to a diffused state- like the screen is out of sync and unreadable. but if i wiggled the plug it would become fine.

paul

thanks paul. what operating system are you using? 10.5.7? Or earlier?

btw: if you read the apple forum posts, they say that the firmware of the minidisplay dual-link dvi has to be upgraded by bringing the actual adapter into the apple store. the apple store tech people told me that this is not the case at all. there's nothing wrong with the adapter and if any firmware update is required down the road it will be done through software update downloads on the mbp.  i've been looking at some of the nec monitors but i haven't bought a monitor yet because i've been scared off by these reports.

rh
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 02:28:34 pm by richardhagen »

Gellman

• http://www.jgphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 01:41:04 am »

I use a new 17 inch MacBook Pro, 10.5.7, with a NEC 2690 external monitor. For this setup, I use the mini-display to DVI adapter instead of the mini-display to dual-link DVI. Does anyone know why Apple or another company doesn't simply make cables with mini-DVI on one end and the appropriate connector on the other end? Why should we have to use adapter cables?  

That said, the connection between my MacBook Pro and the external monitor is the single least reliable component of my system. Not from a quality standpoint, but from a functional standpoint. The quality is magnificent when the connection works. About 20% of the time, the connection hangs when I go into clamshell mode, and no image is displayed on the external monitor. When this happens, I just disconnect the external monitor, reconnect, and start over. This almost always works. Still, it is a pain in the neck when it doesn't work properly on the first try. I should add, that I never have this problem when I leave the MBP open with both monitors on. The problem only occurs when I use the MBP in clamshell mode (with the MBP closed). My standard configuration is to use the MBP in clamshell mode with the external monitor, external keyboard and mouse. Apple tech support instructed me to connect the external monitor and then close the MBP. As soon as the MBP goes into sleep mode, move the mouse or hit any key on the external keyboard, and the external monitor should come on. And it does, about 80% of the time.

This happening to anyone else?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:41:56 am by ncjohnboy »

richardhagen

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 06:32:43 pm »

Quote from: ncjohnboy
I use a new 17 inch MacBook Pro, 10.5.7, with a NEC 2690 external monitor. For this setup, I use the mini-display to DVI adapter instead of the mini-display to dual-link DVI. Does anyone know why Apple or another company doesn't simply make cables with mini-DVI on one end and the appropriate connector on the other end? Why should we have to use adapter cables?  

That said, the connection between my MacBook Pro and the external monitor is the single least reliable component of my system. Not from a quality standpoint, but from a functional standpoint. The quality is magnificent when the connection works. About 20% of the time, the connection hangs when I go into clamshell mode, and no image is displayed on the external monitor. When this happens, I just disconnect the external monitor, reconnect, and start over. This almost always works. Still, it is a pain in the neck when it doesn't work properly on the first try. I should add, that I never have this problem when I leave the MBP open with both monitors on. The problem only occurs when I use the MBP in clamshell mode (with the MBP closed). My standard configuration is to use the MBP in clamshell mode with the external monitor, external keyboard and mouse. Apple tech support instructed me to connect the external monitor and then close the MBP. As soon as the MBP goes into sleep mode, move the mouse or hit any key on the external keyboard, and the external monitor should come on. And it does, about 80% of the time.

This happening to anyone else?

i don't know why apple do what they do but it's friggin frustrating. at least you know exactly what causes the problem and therefore you can avoid the problem most of the time.  wondering: did you have any problems calibrating the monitor with spectraview? nec have had all sorts of problems with the latest mbp's and spectraview.

rh

Raw shooter

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 08:02:24 pm »

Same problem between a MacBook Pro, 10.5.7 and a Dell 5100 projector.  Flicker, wiggle around the connection - gets better for 5 seconds then total static.
Couldn't fix it after an hour of trying anything.  Guess I'll wait for the update fix.  Unusable in the current state.

Gellman

• http://www.jgphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 01:50:17 am »

Richard - The NEC monitor calibrated beautifully with Spectraview. I did encounter one glitch. The MBP has two video cards. The nVIDIA Ge-Force 9400 and the dedicated nVIDIA Ge-Force 9600. One switches between these in System Preferences > Energy Saver. If Higher performance is selected, the MBP uses the 9600. If Better battery life is selected, the MBP uses the 9400. With the 9400, Spectraview recognizes the monitor and calibration works perfectly.  With the 9600, Spectraview does not recognize the monitor, thus no calibration can be done. The good thing about Spectraview is that the calibration is done within the monitor itself, not on the video card. So once a calibration is set and then selected, the monitor looks the same regardless which video card is used, because the calibration is independent from the card. Stated another way, the calibration can only be created while using the 9400, but the monitor works equally well in a calibrated state with either video card.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 01:53:43 am by ncjohnboy »

Stephen Loban

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 10:06:55 am »

I have a 30" Samsung 305T monitor and the dual link DVI adapter and have these distortion issues. I have even exchanged it once and the same issue. There is a newer firmware version out 1.02 which I have tried and had no issues at all. I think this has to be done at an Apple store which in itself is annoying.

The quick way to fix it is just put the monitor to sleep (control + shift + eject) wait a few seconds and move the mouse.

Stephen

richardhagen

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 03:06:25 pm »

thanks johnboy. now i'm wondering whether the nec/spectraview calibration issue is only with regard to the dual-link cable. you seem to have averted any problems because you used I use the mini-display to DVI adapter instead of the mini-display to dual-link DVI.

thanks stephen. i bought the dual-link cable a few months ago. i don't know what its version is but when i went to the apple store, they didn't know anything about any issues regarding the dual-link cable even though its problems have been posted on all the forums.

i called the eizo tech support people and spoke with the a couple of support people and they know NOTHING about the new aluminum macbook pros or any problems. i couldn't believe that they don't even have a new macbook pro on their premises to test. Friggin frustrating!

this problem has made me reluctant to buy any monitor that absolutely requires the dual-link cable.

rh

Stephen Loban

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 05:01:08 pm »

The only monitors that require the dual link DVI are the 30" monitors.

I just checked with a college of mine who is using a new dual link DVI adapter with firmware 1.02 and he has had no issues.

Stephen

richardhagen

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 09:45:04 pm »

Quote from: Stephen Loban
The only monitors that require the dual link DVI are the 30" monitors.

I just checked with a college of mine who is using a new dual link DVI adapter with firmware 1.02 and he has had no issues.

Stephen

cheers stephen! much appreciate your input! correct me if i'm wrong but i think some of the eizo graphics monitors like their 24" unit require a dual link connection.

rh
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 09:47:55 pm by richardhagen »
Pages: [1]   Go Up