Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Full Frame Digital Back for Mamiya RZ67 pro II  (Read 14649 times)

PeterA

Full Frame Digital Back for Mamiya RZ67 pro II
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 10:41:39 pm »

Given a choice between a lower megapixel count on a much larger chip ( eg 6x6/4x5) and more megapixels squished onto the traditional 645 format - it is a no brainer to prefer larger chip dimensions over more megapixels. This is an inconvenient truth for the companies that have based their strategies on selling megapixels and software. These same companies have come to dominate hardware sales in high end use - because of megapixel counts - despite the obvious and sad limitations of these same chips on traditional technical and view camera useage.

I wonder how many on this forum would invest in MF camera systems - if they had the choice of using view and technical camera systems based on large enough chip sizes to easilly employ shifts/tilts and skews?

We are coming to the end of the road for these MF system companies as far as possible improvements in utility goes -anyone using the gear already knows this and substituting post shot procesing and photoshop magic - is no substitute for a photographic control over the making of an image in the first place.

To end the observation with a joke- witness the typical fashion shot - the photographer uses lenses and chips capable of resolving hairs on hair on the models nose - only to have to employ a post shot somebody to make the skin look plastic and barbie dolled - seriously funny - you have oversharpenned eyes popping out of a plastic wrap skin which has no reference to anything remotely attractive or appealing and has become some kind of surreal standard it seems. thats not photography it is next generation air brushed illustration.

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 01:42:19 am »

It's a much heard joke on fashion but......

Remember that there's much more than skin, we do a lot of work for hairdressers for example and the extra sharpness/crispness of MF really helps to let the pictures stand out.
Also when shooting materials for designers it's very nice to have the really sharp images, the material shows a much more real.

But skin.... yeah I agree I also always retouch skin in the studio sessions, outside it's 50/50.

On megapixels.
I agree with people that think that 22MP is enough.
I don't rule out I will ever shoot on 39/60MP but in reality I think for most work 22MP is enough.
Than again I love to zoom in a picture and see all the details.

So to stay in the thread, I would love to see larger sensors, the Aptus10 is something I'm still very interested in.
But would love to also see a sensor like that with 4:3 format.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 01:45:27 am by Frank Doorhof »

evgeny

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 04:06:26 am »

Quote from: PeterA
To end the observation with a joke- witness the typical fashion shot - the photographer uses lenses and chips capable of resolving hairs on hair on the models nose - only to have to employ a post shot somebody to make the skin look plastic and barbie dolled - seriously funny - you have oversharpenned eyes popping out of a plastic wrap skin which has no reference to anything remotely attractive or appealing and has become some kind of surreal standard it seems. thats not photography it is next generation air brushed illustration.

Peter, I often see imperfections on the images, just out of the camera, that I cann't see in viewfinder.
What is your solution?

flashfredrikson

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 05:19:12 am »

Hm, would love to see a ff 6x7 sensor, but a ccd in that size and the pixelpitch of a current 22MP back, which would then result in a much appreciated resolution of like 30 to 40 MP (someone else do the math please    ), would kick us right back into moiree hell. I hated the p25 for that.
So why not a CMOS chip? Sharp enough for me, the look of 6x7 would be much more welcome in my world then super sharp super high res, and don't forget cmos's high iso capabilities. And a 6x7 back would really offer some real estate for a nice display!   And sensor god, please add a Pentax 67D and a Mamiya 7IID.
Ok, back to work, enough daydreaming already.

cheers

PeterA

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 05:59:49 am »

hahahah guys - it is a two edged sword - how much is too much detail and how much is not enough..but plastic skin -- puhleese  

I think the old Avedon B& W age - they made great pics - but less detail and no colour..so I guess they had it easy compared to you guys..

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 07:07:10 am »

Quote from: PeterA
hahahah guys - it is a two edged sword - how much is too much detail and how much is not enough..but plastic skin -- puhleese  

I think the old Avedon B& W age - they made great pics - but less detail and no colour..so I guess they had it easy compared to you guys..

It depends on the market and the possibilities I guess.
I know that some older photographers have said in interviews that IF photoshop was available when they worked they for sure would have used it.
And the market demands a certain look in some cases.
I think it's best to just do everything so not be stuck in one case
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up