Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Second External Drive  (Read 1640 times)

Lex

Second External Drive
« on: June 22, 2009, 04:56:00 am »

Currently I have all of my images on an external drive and my catalogue on the C drive. Can someone please advise me on the steps to set up a second external drive which will then mirror the first external drive? Do I import the images onto the new drive through Lightroom or do I copy the drive contents across in Windows Explorer? or do I use a third party backup programme? Once I get this second drive setup I will be able to backup to this drive on import but I'm stuck for now.

Thanks
Lex Franks

Jon Meddings

Second External Drive
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 09:41:19 am »

Quote from: Lex
Currently I have all of my images on an external drive and my catalogue on the C drive. Can someone please advise me on the steps to set up a second external drive which will then mirror the first external drive? Do I import the images onto the new drive through Lightroom or do I copy the drive contents across in Windows Explorer? or do I use a third party backup programme? Once I get this second drive setup I will be able to backup to this drive on import but I'm stuck for now.

Thanks
Lex Franks

Lex, there are quite a few ways to do this but I'd suggest the following. Note that I'm assuming that

1. your first external hard drive is E: and the second will become F: (if not correct then change the text below as appropriate)
2. That you will only add pictures to E: and that F: is simply to be kept as a mirror of E: (note that this is not a backup as changes made will be passed onto F:).

I have a system similar to this and I find it easiest to use Syncback (for Windows) as the tool to do this. You can simply set it to mirror E: to F: and schedule this to happen every day at a certain time. I like it to happen during the late evening hours when I'm not working. However, you can also set it to happen whenever F: is mounted (or turned on).  Works very well.

Roger Calixto

Second External Drive
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 04:53:10 am »

I agree. I use syncback too and am pretty happy with it.

For a long discussion on the topic of syncback see this post:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....amp;hl=syncback

{}
KT
--------------
If my day job wasn't so cool, I'd quit and be a photographer =)
Pages: [1]   Go Up