Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: portable studio tripod  (Read 2065 times)

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
portable studio tripod
« on: June 22, 2009, 04:12:32 am »

Currently i am using a manfrotto 058b tri-aut tripod with a manfrotto 405 head, but ever since i got the 058 I loathed moving it around.  now i am looking for new legs. It has to be very stable, but light. as i am moving it around a lot, no hiking though. I'd like it to have a geared centre column, It is mainly for tabletop food work.

I really like my gitzo GT2942L, but it is much too light for this kind of work, where we do multiple exposures and focus layers a lot. another problem is stumbling and careening art-directors or clients, who love to knock the tripod...

I am loading this tripod with anything from a big canon to a Linhof 679, no long lenses though. Working height is usually something between 1m and 1,5m.

My current favourite is the Gitzo 3541XLS with the GS3310GS column, I like the idea of having the possibility of getting it up to 2m.

I looked at the Induros, but wasn't impressed.

are there any transportable Column tripos, anything below 10kg?

hardly any budget restriction, I plan this to be my last tripod for at least 10 years...
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

Dick Roadnight

portable studio tripod
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 10:34:12 am »

Quote from: geesbert
Currently i am using a manfrotto 058b tri-aut tripod with a manfrotto 405 head,

I am loading this tripod with anything from a big canon to a Linhof 679, no long lenses though. Working height is usually something between 1m and 1,5m.

I have a Manfrotto 161 with the 400 head - it is an excellent 10Kg studio tripod... and if I was going to use it much in a studio with a good floor I would buy a Manfrotto dolly, making it easy to move around the studio.

for areas with less than ideal floors I would make or acquire bigger wheels.

I also have a Gitzo carbon tripod, which is lighter, and does not go up to 3m, and does not have a geared column, and a Manfrotto agnoscope 10m tripod, with is not light, but will be very useful when I get live view for the Hasselblad.

If you have no budget limitations, you might consider a tripod/camera stand with powered wheels, or a roof mounted camera support.

At Focus (National Exhibition Centre, UK) there was a company called Camera Robotics, who made remotely controllable robotic camera support arms.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
portable studio tripod
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 12:44:58 pm »

Quote from: geesbert
Currently i am using a manfrotto 058b tri-aut tripod with a manfrotto 405 head, but ever since i got the 058 I loathed moving it around.  now i am looking for new legs. It has to be very stable, but light. as i am moving it around a lot, no hiking though. I'd like it to have a geared centre column, It is mainly for tabletop food work.

I really like my gitzo GT2942L, but it is much too light for this kind of work, where we do multiple exposures and focus layers a lot. another problem is stumbling and careening art-directors or clients, who love to knock the tripod...

My current favourite is the Gitzo 3541XLS with the GS3310GS column, I like the idea of having the possibility of getting it up to 2m.

I looked at the Induros, but wasn't impressed.

hardly any budget restriction, I plan this to be my last tripod for at least 10 years...

while not "light"..I use the large berlebach tripod, it comes with leveling ball geared column. if you are working on a smoothish, flat floor it has optional spreaders that give extra grip and stability...rock stable but at a price..it is not ultra fast to work with.. and if you are doing more than 8 shots day and going from eyelevel with the table to extreme down shots I would go with something lighter.  like an old prostudex with geared column.
Pages: [1]   Go Up