Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase one P30+ back on Mamiya  (Read 6158 times)

woof75

Phase one P30+ back on Mamiya
« on: June 21, 2009, 04:08:01 pm »

Shooting a fashion campaign on the street in Paris a couple of weeks ago I used a P30+ rather than my usual P21 and I had a lot of connection problems to my Macbook pro 17 inch, it would take about 10 seconds to connect and thats when it would connect, there's some strange order of events, like turn back off, plug in, turn on, wait 10 seconds then it would work (usually). With the P21 you just plug it in, wait 3 seconds and it would connect, always, no issues, it was very frustrating to say the least. I don't know if it's the latest version of capture shop or something but it was really bad. Anyone else experience that. Also, the files from a P30+ are big but they are a little softer than the P21 (maybe because of micro lenses?). The slower shoot rate was infuriating too. Not impressed. Also, I had a few images corrupt which never happens with the P21.

tho_mas

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 06:14:46 pm »

Quote from: woof75
the files from a P30+ are big but they are a little softer than the P21 (maybe because of micro lenses?).
assumed both the chips of the P30+ and the P21+ are aligned identically the difference in "sharpness" is due to the different pixel pitch. The P21+ has 9 microns, the P30+ 6,8 microns and this is why the P21+ looks more crisp (without sharpening).
Both the chips use micro lenses.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 06:16:36 pm by tho_mas »

ziocan

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 07:12:00 am »

Shooting a fashion campaign on the street in Paris a couple of weeks ago I used a P30+ rather than my usual P21 and I had a lot of connection problems to my Macbook pro 17 inch, it would take about 10 seconds to connect and thats when it would connect, there's some strange order of events, like turn back off, plug in, turn on, wait 10 seconds then it would work (usually). With the P21 you just plug it in, wait 3 seconds and it would connect, always, no issues, it was very frustrating to say the least. I don't know if it's the latest version of capture shop or something but it was really bad. Anyone else experience that. Also, the files from a P30+ are big but they are a little softer than the P21 (maybe because of micro lenses?). The slower shoot rate was infuriating too. Not impressed. Also, I had a few images corrupt which never happens with the P21.
I have the same combination of camera, back and hardware you have (the older mackbook pro 17) and it works flawlessly for me.
no more than 3 seconds to transfer the images after pressing the shutter release. No problems either with interruptions while shooting or delays after cable disconnection, it takes no longer than 3 secs to get the back ready to shot after plugging in the cable.
there may be something wrong with the equipment you rented, most likely the laptop.

digitalcameraman

• Capture Integration
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 08:00:24 am »

Sounds like you might have had a voltage issue with battery power coming from Laptop. When this happens you need to change the option on the P1 camera back to use the on board battery instead of powering the back with the power coming from the laptop. The option is under Power setting, select battery and it will use battery all the time for power and not use laptop. Were you using a 30 ft firewire cable? Could have also caused more issues in addition to the voltage issues. You should use 2 maybe 3 batteries a day this way but makes it a lot more stable than using laptop power source.

Also when shooting tethered make sure you pick the IIQ Small setting for the fastest refresh rate on the camera back.

Chris Snipes
Phase one Reseller
Phase One Test Studio Florida

chris@imageproduction.com
www.imageproduction.com

Chris Snipes
Sales Manager Capture Integ

Snook

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 09:41:48 am »

Quote from: digitalcameraman
Sounds like you might have had a voltage issue with battery power coming from Laptop. When this happens you need to change the option on the P1 camera back to use the on board battery instead of powering the back with the power coming from the laptop. The option is under Power setting, select battery and it will use battery all the time for power and not use laptop. Were you using a 30 ft firewire cable? Could have also caused more issues in addition to the voltage issues. You should use 2 maybe 3 batteries a day this way but makes it a lot more stable than using laptop power source.

Also when shooting tethered make sure you pick the IIQ Small setting for the fastest refresh rate on the camera back.

Chris Snipes
Phase one Reseller

www.imageproduction.com

Yeh the only problem with that is the IIQ format cannot be opened by photoshop which made it useless for me and my clients.. every time I accidentally start shooting and I see the IIQ extension I freak.

Nothing but .TIF for me.

Snook

woof75

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 09:45:03 am »

Quote from: digitalcameraman

Chris Snipes
Phase one Reseller

www.imageproduction.com

I was getting power from the laptop (which is fine with the P21) and a 15 foot firewire cable.

woof75

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 10:12:34 am »

How important is it to get rid of the old version of captureshop 4 before going to 4.8 ish? I've been nervous to do it in the middle of jobs.

woof75

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 10:13:56 am »

Quote from: Snook
Yeh the only problem with that is the IIQ format cannot be opened by photoshop which made it useless for me and my clients.. every time I accidentally start shooting and I see the IIQ extension I freak.

Nothing but .TIF for me.

Snook

Whats the diff between IIQ extension and the .TIF extension?

Snook

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 04:41:22 pm »

Whats the diff between IIQ extension and the .TIF extension?

From my trials the IIQ files will not open in cs4. But the .TIF will.
Can someone correct me if I am wrong...My IIQ files would not even show a preview on 10.5.7 mac.

When I drop an IIQ file on photoshop it tells me it is NOT compatible and never opens.

That is a BIG pain in the ass if your client does not use C-1 and you do not want to change 600 files to .TIFF or DNG or whatever floats your boat.

Sometimes my C-1 reverts to default which is IIq and I someitmes forget during the first tethered shooting...

Snook

tho_mas

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 05:12:55 pm »

From my trials the IIQ files will not open in cs4. From my trials the IIQ files will not open in cs4. But the .TIF will.
Can someone correct me if I am wrong
no problem here. IIQ open equally as TIF...

Snook

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 07:27:46 pm »

Quote from: tho_mas
no problem here. IIQ open equally as TIF...

Well I just did a test on 3 different computers. All Macintosh 10.5.7 with latest RAW.
NONE would open IIQ files.
Says:
Could not complete your request because photoshop does not recognize this type of file...
[attachment=14770:Picture_2.png]

Snook

tho_mas

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 08:05:33 pm »

Could not complete your request because photoshop does not recognize this type of file...
hmhm...
when you go to the menu file->open on the bottom of the following window the are two entries: select "all legible files" (or however described) and "format: camera raw". (attachment #1)
or try right click on a IIQ file and go to "open with"...
I think in the Photoshop preferences you have to set the camera raw prefs as well (attachment #2)

[attachment=14773:screen.jpg][attachment=14774:screen2.jpg]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 08:06:16 pm by tho_mas »

Snook

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 08:36:37 pm »

Quote from: tho_mas
hmhm...
when you go to the menu file->open on the bottom of the following window the are two entries: select "all legible files" (or however described) and "format: camera raw". (attachment #1)
or try right click on a IIQ file and go to "open with"...
I think in the Photoshop preferences you have to set the camera raw prefs as well (attachment #2)

[attachment=14773:screen.jpg][attachment=14774:screen2.jpg]

Got it.. Did not have RAw 5.3 installed.. did not see that update..

Thanks again

Snook
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 08:45:23 pm by Snook »
Pages: [1]   Go Up