Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Glossy Paper?  (Read 4994 times)

dpete111

Best Glossy Paper?
« on: June 21, 2009, 11:00:04 am »

What is your favorite glossy paper???  

I am about to start work on some competition prints and would like try printing on glossy paper; high DMax and maximum detail.  I print on a HP Z3200,

So far, the two on my radar screen are Harman FB Gloss and Innova FibaPrint White Gloss.  Harman advertises some kind of anti-curl characteristic; does this work?  A colleague of mine prints on the Innova FibaPrint (using a HP Z3100), which he likes; however he occasionally experiences a small blob of ink not adhering, making that print useless.

I would very much like to hear your experiences with these papers, and any other glossy papers you particularly like.

Thank you!!

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Best Glossy Paper?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 01:54:23 pm »

Prints on the Harman FB have more detail than any other paper I've seen. But the surface is quite a bit glossier than the other papers as well, and I really don't care for the look of it due to the high gloss and completely smooth surface. The paper also has less of that cotton rag fine-art feel in the hand compared to some of the other fiber-glossy papers.

My overall favorite is the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta. It has a nice surface and feel, no OBA's, and excellent gamut and DMax.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

datro

Best Glossy Paper?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 04:35:23 pm »

Quote from: dpete111
What is your favorite glossy paper???  

I am about to start work on some competition prints and would like try printing on glossy paper; high DMax and maximum detail.  I print on a HP Z3200,

So far, the two on my radar screen are Harman FB Gloss and Innova FibaPrint White Gloss.  Harman advertises some kind of anti-curl characteristic; does this work?  A colleague of mine prints on the Innova FibaPrint (using a HP Z3100), which he likes; however he occasionally experiences a small blob of ink not adhering, making that print useless.

I would very much like to hear your experiences with these papers, and any other glossy papers you particularly like.

Thank you!!

I've lately been trying to narrow down my choice for a PK paper as well and I've found the FibaPrint White Gloss to be an excellent paper for B&W.  I've looked at pretty much everything out there, including all the Hahnemuhle PK papers, Ilford Gold Fiber Silk, and the Harman FBAL Gloss.  I have a box of Innova FibaPrint Ultrasmooth Glossy on the way which I'm also looking forward to testing in larger format.  My small test prints on the FibaPrint Ultramooth look pretty good and the surface comes about as close to my old Multigrade FB prints as anything I've seen so far.   Innova also has a new "glazed" glossy FibaPrint paper that I'd really like to try as well, but so far no one seems to carry it here in the U.S.

Rob C

Best Glossy Paper?
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 04:13:53 pm »

I´ve been using quite a lot of Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Bright White 310g/m2 which, clearly, is a matte paper. These look okay naked, but a hell of a lot better within crystal archival sleeves, simply because of the gloss of the sleeve which gives a feeling of a much greater range of tones.

I have been looking at some of my old wet prints on gloss paper and there isn´t anything I´ve seen to beat them, if you want range of tonality.

But, life moves on and I won´t be going back to wet. I have an HP B9180 which I find very good indeed, but it is a pigment printer. I´ve tried using HP glossy paper - it comes as part of the setting-up pack - and the tonal range is very good with it but bronzing shows, at least it does on my prints.

I suppose the question is: can you get faultless glossy prints using pigment ink? I sure hope so, as I would like to swap back to gloss instead of matte. If anyone has experience of gloss printing with the B9180 and pigments, then please pass on your experiences! I don´t want to swap to inks and another printer.

Rob C

Rob C

Best Glossy Paper?
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 04:25:30 pm »

Odd - this went twice and another not at all! Must be the humidity.

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 04:01:38 am by Rob C »

Paul Sumi

Best Glossy Paper?
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 05:16:23 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
Prints on the Harman FB have more detail than any other paper I've seen. But the surface is quite a bit glossier than the other papers as well, and I really don't care for the look of it due to the high gloss and completely smooth surface. The paper also has less of that cotton rag fine-art feel in the hand compared to some of the other fiber-glossy papers.

My overall favorite is the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta. It has a nice surface and feel, no OBA's, and excellent gamut and DMax.

I am also auditioning the Harman FB Gloss and Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta papers, as well as Epson's Exhibition Fiber.

I agree with Jeff's assessment of the Harman paper. I don't mind the high gloss, but the surface is a little too smooth for my taste and has a "plasticky" feeling in-hand.  The paper surface is also a little prone to scratching.

I generally like the Hahne FRB paper.  It has a slight warmish (yellow) cast and a surface texture somewhat like linen.  I'm not a fan of that texture so I'm seeing if I can learn to live with it.

The Epson paper is a wild card.  I haven't yet made any close comparisons but it has a bit more, irregular, texture than the Hahne paper, and the paper is very white.  Like the Harman paper, the Epson is a little susceptible to scratching.

Paul
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:11:00 am by PaulS »

donmcmahan.com

Best Glossy Paper?
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 05:06:03 pm »

I like the Inova fibreprint ultra smooth gloss IFA-49 very much

DarkPenguin

Best Glossy Paper?
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 05:19:00 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
But, life moves on and I won´t be going back to wet. I have an HP B9180 which I find very good indeed, but it is a pigment printer. I´ve tried using HP glossy paper - it comes as part of the setting-up pack - and the tonal range is very good with it but bronzing shows, at least it does on my prints.

That and those god damned arrows on the back of the HP paper are visible from the front.  The HP semi gloss is nice as it has almost the same range as the gloss but none of the irritating pigment ink on glossy shenanigans.  Damned cheap feel to the paper, however.

bob mccarthy

• http://
Best Glossy Paper?
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 12:53:46 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
I´ve been using quite a lot of Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Bright White 310g/m2 which, clearly, is a matte paper. These look okay naked, but a hell of a lot better within crystal archival sleeves, simply because of the gloss of the sleeve which gives a feeling of a much greater range of tones.

I have been looking at some of my old wet prints on gloss paper and there isn´t anything I´ve seen to beat them, if you want range of tonality.

I suppose the question is: can you get faultless glossy prints using pigment ink? I sure hope so, as I would like to swap back to gloss instead of matte. If anyone has experience of gloss printing with the B9180 and pigments, then please pass on your experiences! I don´t want to swap to inks and another printer.

Rob C

Rob, I've tried most of the glossy papers available.

"All" appear to have some bronzing, whether I use my HP or Epson printers.

I have been over-spraying which appears to kill most if not all of it.

Settled on Ilford Gold Silk B.

bob

bob

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Best Glossy Paper?
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 02:13:28 pm »

I also use Ilford Gold Fibre and get nice results but it is not a true glossy paper; more of a pearl or semi-gloss finish.  Epson Exhibition Fiber is nice but does have OBAs in it which is a bit of a negative.  I have a box of Museo Silver Rag coming in this weekend and want to see what that looks like (would apprecate any thoughts others who have tried it might have).

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
Best Glossy Paper?
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 02:55:30 pm »

Quote from: bob mccarthy
Bob-
Mind if I ask what you are spraying them with.  So far I have tried spraying matte papers (as well as canvas, of course), and find the effect pretty interesting.  I have not, however, tried spraying glossy papers yet.  Do you find the texture changes much, when well sprayed?
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Mulis Pictus

• http://mulispictus.cz
Best Glossy Paper?
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 02:59:02 pm »

Hi Bob,

Quote from: bob mccarthy
Rob, I've tried most of the glossy papers available.

"All" appear to have some bronzing, whether I use my HP or Epson printers.

I wonder what do you use to over-spray them?

Michael Boyd

Best Glossy Paper?
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 08:47:47 pm »

Quote from: Alan Goldhammer
I also use Ilford Gold Fibre and get nice results but it is not a true glossy paper; more of a pearl or semi-gloss finish.  Epson Exhibition Fiber is nice but does have OBAs in it which is a bit of a negative.  I have a box of Museo Silver Rag coming in this weekend and want to see what that looks like (would apprecate any thoughts others who have tried it might have).

I have a box of Silver Rag here and I really like the surface quality. It has a very fine, almost "silvery" texture that isn't distracting; like other "fine art" paper can be. I feel like it gives a certain depth to the images I have printed on it. The only negative is, and this may just be the batch that I received, but there is a definite curl to the paper. I have also found little tiny hairs in the coating. Usually this is hidden by the printing but sometimes it is a crap shoot. This is my first box of it, so I can't say for certain if these negatives are a one time thing or a regular occurrence.

One paper that I am interested in trying is Canon Polished Rag. I saw some sample prints on this paper at Helix the other day and it was a very nice paper. Slight texture, not overly glossy, and semi heavyweight feel.  It's also about the same price as Silver Rag. I believe this paper may actually be a rebranded Hahnemuhle product. Does anyone know?
Pages: [1]   Go Up