Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antelope Canyon  (Read 12472 times)

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
Antelope Canyon
« on: March 28, 2004, 07:27:56 pm »

Hmm...

Leave the stepladder, flash, and 24 TS-E in the car.  Take all the rest of the lenses and ESPECIALLY the circ/pol; it reduces reflections from the sandstone surfaces and inceases saturation.

Add an Angle Finder C; it'll allow you to get some shots you otherwise couldn't SEE thru the viewfinder, as you'll be pointing mostly up.  A cable release will help as you'll be shooting long exposures.

I've shot the 2 Antelopes maybe 8 times; I think you'll love it.

Who is leading your workshop?

Khurram

Antelope Canyon
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 02:59:05 pm »

Can anyone offer some feedback on the more expensive photo tours for antelope.

Some are listed as high as $80/person, plus permit costs.

I was there a few years ago, and i just drove up to the enterance, paid i think around $20 or $30 for 2hr, and was driven to the canyon in a pickup by the family that runs the canyon.

But i had a heck of a time getting too many pics.  

It was just my luck that there was a school tour of elementary kids. so the entire time i was there, there were kids running around all over the place.

But at least they were just kids acting like kids, but there was also this annoying women - who showed absolutely no courtesy at all,  kept running into the area where the beam of light was entering hte canyon (so that she could kick dirt around, while her husband took pics), kept ruining many exposures.

I read that some of these guides will control traffic while you are taking pics.  Does anyone no if that is true?
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

Bill Belvin

Antelope Canyon
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 05:15:42 am »

I have used a 70-200 in Antelope (on a 1Ds), the best light is towards the top and a telefoto is sometimes needed to shoot this.  Last year at least you could go into Lower all day for the admission cost, maybe this has changed.  While there you might also shoot Horseshoe Bend after 3 PM. If you get to the Wave make sure you get to the second wave about 400 yards South of the Wave itself (this needs to be shot late in the day though).  If you're driving to Coral Pink Sand Dunes stop at the Old Paria Movie Set (again late in the day) and perhaps take the .5 mile hike around milepost 200 on 89 to the Rimrocks.  I've been to Coral Pink Sand Dunes twice and never gotten much due to all the ATV tracks on them, but I was never looking for flowers.

Enjoy - Bill

howard smith

Antelope Canyon
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 01:05:22 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I'm glad and sorry that Lower Antelope is getting out.  No crowds the last three times I've been there.   usually go in August, so it is hot and the main attraction is Lake Mead.

You implied the more casual approach to photography that I enjoy.  f the image is there, take it.  If the crowd is there, don't fret and take images of the crowd.  I find that much less frustrating and much more enjoyable.  I feel for the pro who feels (or may actually have to get) he must get a certian imah=ge this trip.

I save my ordinary images of great places and return to improve the product if I can.  I don't know how mny times I have been to Antelope, and I intend to return.  August this year.[/font]

pathfinder

• http://www.pathfinder.smugmug.com
Antelope Canyon
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004, 12:29:22 am »

I am attending the Workshop at Antelope Canyon in mid May and I am interested in hearing from anyone who has done this previously and I am interested in suggestions as to equipment and techniques to utiize.

I plan to take a 10D and an EOS 3 with a 17-40, 24TSE, 28-75,85f1.8, and a tripod with  ball head .   Polarizing filters of course.  Would  a three foot step ladder be of use or even be able to be used?  Any other suggestions as to lenses or other equipment to bring?  Is electronic flash any use at all there ? or just excess weight?

Thanks in advance for your help.
      ::

blangton

• http://photography.blangton.com
Antelope Canyon
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2004, 02:16:55 pm »

I agree with Howard on most points.  The light is so unique and short lived that you won't want to be constantly fiddling with lenses, etc.  A good, steady tripod, cable release and the wide-angle will be used on almost every shot.  I've never shot the canyon with a T/S lens (as I don't have one) but that might make for some interesting perspectives.

Meter for the highlights, look for interesting angles and textures and have a ball.  It is truly a magical place to be a photographer...

Take care and have fun!

Bill
Bill Langton (blangton@blangton.com)  AR

pathfinder

Antelope Canyon
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 09:54:48 pm »

I want to thank you all for your kind suggestions - As you all pointed out I need to lighten my load and so I will take the 17-40 and the 28-75 zooms.  I will take a circular polarizer for each.  And I do have a cable release for the 10D. I will look into a right angle viewer for it too.

I am attending the workshop with Alain Briot in May and am quite excited about it.

Onca again  thank you all - I will post a link to some of my pictures when I return.

framah

Antelope Canyon
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 07:19:51 pm »

I also thank you all for this info as I'm heading out there this weekend, the 4th. I'm driving out from Maine and plan about 5 days to get out there, then about 5 days to shoot. I'm hitting the Antelope Canyon first. Then Coral Pink Sand Dunes St. Pk. The desert wildflowers will be open around now. Then on up to Dead Horse St. Pk. and nose around Canyonlands and maybe Arches. The best thing about road trips is not knowing exactly where you'll end up!!   :p
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Khurram

Antelope Canyon
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 03:01:26 pm »

pathfinder,
I would not recommend taking in the tse24.
i did that in 2001 - took me a long time to get the dust out.  Ended up not being able to use the lens in monument valley,and couldn't thorougly clean it until i got to moab.
----

pathfinder

Antelope Canyon
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 12:06:52 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']We went to Upper Antelope on Saturday and had to wait an hour in the sun due to the crowds.  I had hoped that Lower Antelope on Sunday at 9am would be less crowded - but that was not really the case - tour bus of Japanese tourists - lovely group of people, I actually included them in some of my images, but it was cramped.

My interest in Photography is as an amatuer - I have a day job fortunately, but I am pleased with some of my images.  Thank you again Howard.[/font]

Matthew Cromer

Antelope Canyon
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 12:05:51 pm »

Khurram,

I just got back from N. Arizona and S. Utah and had the opportunity to visit Antelope.  I only did lower because I didn't want to drag my son on the "photo tour" at upper.  At lower antelope you just pay your $18.50 and go in yourself and shoot for up to 2 hours, $5 for each additional hour.  At upper you have to shoot with the tour and it's $30 for 1 1/2 hours.

Upper is a lot more hectic and crowded than lower.  If you shoot the lower Antelope, go early, start by 9:00 AM for best light.

I shot a lot of wide angles, and did a lot of exposure blending to increase DR.

Howard Smith

Antelope Canyon
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 01:43:53 pm »

All my trips to the Wave have been in August when it was hot and permits fairly easy to get.  I left before sunrise and was at the Wave just after sun up.  Spent a few hours there and walked back slowly to look around.  Did I mention it was hot?  Still plenty of day left to motor down to Page.

As you return from the Wave, after you cross the large wash where the Wave is, on your left will be some outstanding sandstone formations.  Not all are easily seen from the "trail" so you will need to explore some.

The extra charge of $5 for each aditional our must be new to Lower Antelope.

pathfinder

Antelope Canyon
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 12:19:21 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I did make it to Antelope Canyon and I had a great time - I used one lens -   a 28-75 zoom in Upper Antelope Canyon and a 17-40 zoom in Lower Antelope on a 10D.  I appreciate the excellent advice I received in this forum.  
     The published pictures of Antelope Canyon are so lovely and serene, that I did not really grasp that I would be shooting in a dusty, crowded, jostling subway - but that is a reasonably apt description of the experience due to the crowd.  So I resolved not to change a lens in that atmosphere due to the dust.

One of my images from Upper Antelope can be seen here -
http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/gallery/121083/1/4358286

I want to thank all the responders again for their help.[/font]

Howard Smith

Antelope Canyon
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2004, 07:52:02 am »

You won't need the ladder (the canyon is tight), flash (the magic is the natural light bouncing around) or the polarizers in the canyons.  I don't think you will need the tilt/shift lens at all.

I would use the wide zoom lenses.  I would limit the number of lenses to one per camera.  I take only one camera and lens at a time into the canyon.  The really good light only lasts a short time and I don't want to spend all my time fiddling with gear.  There is a lot of sand there and an open camera body seems to be a sand magnet.

Only other thing I can think of is to avoid getting sky in the shot.  It will blow out or the rocks will be way under exposed.  I try to expose for the highlights and let the rest fall where it may.  Take a cable release.  Some exposures can be long with small f/stops for dof and low light.

Usually the workshop leader will provie a list of useful and unneeded gear.

Howad Smith

Antelope Canyon
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2004, 03:01:40 pm »

Jeffrey, actually I have never really thought about or considered a polarizer.  I was scared off by the already long shutter speeds and the filter factor, another 2 1/2 stops.  I plan on being there in August and will give it a try.

An angled finder of some sort is a great idea.  My camera has a 45 degree degree finder and it is most useful for looking up.  Since I use it all the time, I've started taking it for granted.

Pathfinder, you will probably find the Antelopes unreal.  I recall the first time I was there.  I thought it was beautiful.  Then, suddenly, the place just started to glow.  It didn't last long (it was winter), but I go back there anytime and everytime I have a chance.  The Anelopes are photo ikons now and well documented, but I've heard it said (and agree), that every landscape photographer needs an antelope shop in his portfolio.

Khurram

Antelope Canyon
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2004, 01:35:15 pm »

Matthew,
Thanks for the advice.
I didn't have time to do lower Antelope during my last trip, and was planning to go this time around.

ALthought, i had planned on going there after shooting upper. thanks for letting me know that morning lighting is better for upper.

This time i may have 2 1/2 days to devote to the two canyons - depending on whether or not i get a day pass for the wave.

Ideally, i'll have one day to shoot the wave, and 1 1/2 for the two slot canyons.  but getting an extra day in the slot canyons would be pretty nice as well.
----

howard smith

Antelope Canyon
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2004, 11:09:23 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']The crowding is one reason I like Lower Antelope better.  The tours to Upper arrive in waves and are frequently large.  Lower, you can walk over easily.  If the lot is too full, come back another time or day or year.

pathfinder, I liked the photo but it is rather usual for Antelope.  Probably because of the large number of photos take.  Twenty years ago, it would have been outstanding.  I still think it is fine to photograph the "cliches" for yourself.  The image is yours, you had a good time, learned some photography, etc.  Also, the imae is only ordinary to photographers.  It looks stunning on YOUR wall to YOUR friends, I bet.

I'm not sure the morning is he best light.  There is a very short window when the light just explodes.  It may be morning or noon depending on the season.  You justhave to be there then.  The tour guides will tell you that RIGHT NOW is the beat it ever gets.[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up