Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ink splatters and drops on 9800 print  (Read 1841 times)

sunnyvalejohn

Ink splatters and drops on 9800 print
« on: June 20, 2009, 01:07:11 pm »

I used a non-standard size piece of scrap canvas to print on and now when I print, I have splatters on the sides, and of course a few right in the middle of a large print I just printed  
My print settings are correct for the media (wider gap, etc) that I always print with and haven't had problems like this before (ie. - I only print breathing color canvas on here)

Is a simple nozzle clean enough to clean it or is there something physical that I need to clean to keep the splatters off the print?

(I did a search of the forum before posting but didn't see anything).  Just want to make sure before I print another large image.

Thanks in advance

John in Sunnyvale

www.jharrisonphoto.com
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:07:29 pm by sunnyvalejohn »

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 06:22:39 pm »

That's a new one to me in that I have never seen cyan-only spots like that in a lot of 7800 and 9880 printing.

I would probably put a moist, folded over paper towel in the paper feed, then drag the heads over it a few times with the power off.  You will get all kinds of gunk, maybe you just have too much buildup on or near the heads.  That has solved the worst gunk/clog problems I have ever had, but again have not see this one.  The fact that it's concentrated on the sides where the paper naturally curls up slightly suggests head gunk, but cyan-only seems odd.

Best bet is probably to post this on the Epson Wide Format forum on Yahoo...

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/EpsonWideFormat/

sunnyvalejohn

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 11:10:55 pm »

Thanks!  I will give that a try.  I will post over there if that doesn't work.  I lurk here so posted here first.

Thanks again,
John

sunnyvalejohn

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 11:11:51 pm »

Oops.  dup post.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 11:12:20 pm by sunnyvalejohn »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 12:23:25 pm »

Were you set to marginless?  My 7800 will this exact same pattern on canvas sometimes when I am set to
marginless.  Mine does it with magenta but exact same pattern of random drops.

Paul Caldwel

Quote from: sunnyvalejohn
Oops.  dup post.
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

sunnyvalejohn

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 01:37:29 am »

Thanks for the help.   I cleaned the heads, blotted the pads and along the paper path.  Everything is printing fine now. Oh well!
I always have margins set to 0 left and 0 right.  Not sure if that might cause a problem or head strike.

Thanks,
John

Stephen G

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 03:51:46 am »

I used to print quite frequently on scraps and off-cuts of canvas, on a 9800. They tended to curl up and cause head-strikes on the edges of the canvas. I got plenty of ink splots and splashes because of this, and this would sometimes continue for a few prints after the scrap-print. So I stopped using scraps. Your image is reminiscent of the splots I got.

Not too surprising that it's Cyan only: if a biggish chunk of dust gets stuck to the head, and head cleaning can't shift it, then it's going to have a localized effect, isn't it?

I also got similar trouble when the printer was in need of a general clean and service. I'd been using it for almost 2 years on a mix of matte, gloss and canvas so the inside of machine was full of dust and muck (mostly paper dust that flies around when the cutter is in operation). I started getting lots of head clogs. Techs came in and cleaned up and it started printing beautifully again.

One thing I never got around to arranging was a dust cover for the machine. If I work with another large format printer again this will be a necessity for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up