Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A2 advice please  (Read 1476 times)

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
A2 advice please
« on: May 26, 2004, 08:44:37 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Question: can the A2 be used with an old style manual flash?

I am "dum as dirt" when it comes to digital photography.  I still use my K-1000 (25 years old now) or a "one step".  It has come down to the F828 or the A2.  From the reviews, the A2 seems to be the better choice.

I don't want to make a huge investment (at least not yet).  Both the A2 and the F828 have dropped to around $550.  Add a few hundred for memory cards and I should be in business. Is there anything else I would need?  I will most likely use the internal flash most of the time but it would be nice to use my old style manual flash if I can.

Also what memory cards to buy?  I see there is CF type I and Type II, 40 X and now even 80 X!  I assume the camera has some limitation and at some point a faster card will be pointless.  Am I correct?

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated (I think I have now read everthing on the web).

Mike[/font]
[font color=\'#000000\']Yes it can be used with a manual flash:
1) Use the PC cord socket (the shoe is a wierd Minolta-specific non-standard concoction).
3) Mount the flash off camera to a bracket.
2) Set the camera to manual. Set the shutter to an apprpriate sync speed. Adjust the aperture to suit the guide number of the flash (or  the automatic aperture selected.

I think the camera sells for $999. If what you say is true, it dropped to nearly 1/2 price only two months after it was release. Everyone that bought it for a grand would be royally pissed.

I use name brand memory cards but don't go for the highest speed unless they are super discounted. I am not sure the speed makes that much of a difference. Mine are Sandisk and Lexar, middle of the pack.[/font]
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Bobtrips

A2 advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 11:36:16 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Currently $750 is the predominate low price on Price Grabber for the A2.  I'd be very suspicious of the ~$500 places.

Check my reply on the other A2 thread.[/font]

mjc_2000

A2 advice please
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 12:13:48 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Question: can the A2 be used with an old style manual flash?

I am "dum as dirt" when it comes to digital photography.  I still use my K-1000 (25 years old now) or a "one step".  It has come down to the F828 or the A2.  From the reviews, the A2 seems to be the better choice.

I don't want to make a huge investment (at least not yet).  Both the A2 and the F828 have dropped to around $550.  Add a few hundred for memory cards and I should be in business. Is there anything else I would need?  I will most likely use the internal flash most of the time but it would be nice to use my old style manual flash if I can.

Also what memory cards to buy?  I see there is CF type I and Type II, 40 X and now even 80 X!  I assume the camera has some limitation and at some point a faster card will be pointless.  Am I correct?

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated (I think I have now read everthing on the web).

Mike[/font]

mjc_2000

A2 advice please
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 11:04:53 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I just did a search on the web.  I found two places.  One had a price of $519 and the other $545.

I called the two stores and both confirmed the price and that they had them in stock.

Up till this point I had been considering the sony dcs-v1 but at only $150 more ....

I forget the stores, I'm at work and left the print-out at home (I think one was A & W).  

Thanks for all the info!!!

Mike[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up