Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The trackers  (Read 3616 times)

byork

• http://
The trackers
« on: June 18, 2009, 06:29:24 am »

A few African shots have inspired me to post this (thanks Ed). Here's a shot that I'd really like some opinions on. The rangers had got out of the vehicle to look for animal tracks. Something I found quite strange since we'd just driven over the road they were tracking on. Nevertheless, it presented a good opportunity when I saw the trackers walking up the road with the winding road behind them. The dead tree in the top half of the frame seemed to balance a good composition as well.

Comments good or bad always a help.

Cheers
Brian

cmi

The trackers
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 07:48:31 am »

I like the look of the landscape, the way the color of the bushes in the foreground contrasts with the rest of the scene, the nice blur wich brings attention to the walking man. How he is tightly packed in his clothes stands in contrast to the landscape wich doesnt look grim or hostile, and this gives interest for me.
However I find the framing to be unfortunate. It looks like the image is chopped off at the right where he (they) walk. I imagine you focused on capturing the mans in relation to the foreground vegetation and forgot the other side over that, but thats just a guess. Maybe a horizontal would have worked better but I struggle to come up with more specific tips (since Im not so sure with composition for myself). I think this particular shot is lost.

Christian

Ed Blagden

The trackers
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 07:59:20 am »

G'day Brian

I quite like the shot.  There is no wow factor, but it kind of grows on me.  What I like in particular is how you have captured the soft grey - gold early morning light (I assume it is early morning judging by how the guys are dressed) which is unique to the bush.  Very evocative.

For the composition, I think it could be improved by giving the trackers a little more space on the right.  Also, it is a pity that the second tracker can't be seen because he is right behind the first.

Salaams

Ed

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
The trackers
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 11:06:16 am »

Brian, It's one of the best pieces of work I've seen on this forum. I don't agree that you need more space on the right. I do wish there were only one figure, or that more of the second figure were visible. But the perfect light and the truncated depth of field that lets the background fade away gently make up for that one shortcoming. As Ed says, it grows on you. That's the test of a really fine photograph.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
The trackers
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 01:05:48 pm »

Quote from: RSL
Brian, It's one of the best pieces of work I've seen on this forum. I don't agree that you need more space on the right. I do wish there were only one figure, or that more of the second figure were visible. But the perfect light and the truncated depth of field that lets the background fade away gently make up for that one shortcoming. As Ed says, it grows on you. That's the test of a really fine photograph.
I agree that it's a good shot, and it does grow on me as I look at it, but like others above (and respectfully disagreeing with Russ) I think it would benefit from more space on the right: it looks cramped.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 01:06:13 pm by kikashi »

dalethorn

The trackers
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 03:10:45 pm »

It has a kind of antique-etching look that's marvelous, and suits the scene perfectly.  Never minding the composition details, it would be most interesting to know how exactly you got the look.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
The trackers
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 03:59:21 pm »

I think the landscape is a very strong element in this photograph and DOF is well-selected and executed.  I do have to agree with others that the right side feels clipped to me, and that the man in back should either not be there or try and provide some separation between the two.  That being said, it probably would've ruined the "natural" feel to the shot if you set it up, and you may have had to compose "on the fly".  It is an excellent shot.  I just would like to see a little more on the right side.

RSL

The trackers
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 05:49:58 pm »

Quote from: jasonrandolph
you may have had to compose "on the fly"

Ahhhh... But that's never an excuse. You either got the shot or you didn't. Yes, I'd like to see the rest of the track on the right too, but, in general it's a pretty good shot.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
The trackers
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 06:16:42 pm »

Ahhhh... But that's never an excuse. You either got the shot or you didn't. Yes, I'd like to see the rest of the track on the right too, but, in general it's a pretty good shot.

You are quite right, Russ, on both points!

cmi

The trackers
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 06:46:58 pm »

Maybe saying "lost" was not right. I find when I crop away circa 10% from the left, a good portion of the bottom (to a point below his left shoe: 2-3 times the visual size of that shoe), and maybe a slight bit off the top (but not cutting into the middle tree) that I like it much more. Repeatedly tried with some papers on the TFT, dont have PS here right now. The overall mood is really gorgeous.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 06:50:52 pm by Christian Miersch »

byork

The trackers
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 07:29:36 pm »

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Russ, Ed...I agree it is unfortunate the second guy is behind the other, he is a trainee following the 2 trackers....yes, there was a 3rd one but I'll get to that in a minute. Also note the feelings that it would have been better landscape. I felt at the time the shot lend itself to portrait, taking the road from the bottom to the top encompassing the dead tree and some of the other background trees....and I still believe that. If I'd composed further to the right, I'd have lost the good light on the vegetation to the left, and I think this would have made the image lose something very important...further, the vegetation on the right was in shadow and quite dull. I did frame landscape through the viewfinder when deciding which way to go and saw that the top right quarter was dull and empty....if I tried to reduce that, I cut off half the dead tree.

When I saw this shot evolve, the trackers were just behind the bend....I decided the optimal time to take the shot was when they reached the point of the bend. Waiting for this and dithering about landscape/portrait nearly made me miss the shot altogether, as by the time I reset portrait, the 3rd tracker half stepped out of the frame and I had to just trip the shutter before the opportunity was gone. I can't remember if I tried zooming out more after this shot, but my guess is I did and decided against it. Nevertheless, after cropping out the half tracker, I think I ended up with a good result and by the comments everyone seems to agree.

Cheers
Brian

RSL

The trackers
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 10:00:44 pm »

Brian, It's a wonderful illustration of the proverb: "He who hesitates is lost." But it's still a very fine photograph. It's also support for my own proverb: "Learn to compose intuitively."

byork

The trackers
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 10:12:51 pm »

Brian, It's a wonderful illustration of the proverb: "He who hesitates is lost." But it's still a very fine photograph. It's also support for my own proverb: "Learn to compose intuitively."

I hear ya Russ!!

dalethorn

The trackers
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 11:19:28 pm »

Quote from: byork
I hear ya Russ!!
I wouldn't say it's *still* a fine photo.  In all probability, none of the other shots would have been as good if you did get them.  You can plan a good photo all you want, but the difference between the good ones and the special ones is a matter of luck, in spite of the planning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up