Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Painting in Santa Barbara  (Read 1469 times)

dalethorn

Painting in Santa Barbara
« on: June 17, 2009, 11:39:44 pm »

I took this with a Kodak DC260 circa 1999, so it's very low rez.  I thought it would be interesting to see what anyone thinks of it as art.

Ed Blagden

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 02:31:44 am »

The picture isn't level - because the shoreline is such a strong part of the composition, this matters a great deal and badly needs fixing.

Apart from that, I quite like the composition - the simplicity of the thing makes me feel like I could walk into the image.

Gosh, digital imaging has come on a bit in the last 10 years, hasn't it?  Because of the low-res, the shot looks quite grainy.  I think it might look better in B&W.  Or alternatively, keep it in colour but fiddle around with the luminosity and saturation sliders to try and give it that pre-WW2 washed out colour look.

Ed

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 05:51:21 am »

While I quite like the general composition, I am not really sure I understand the question about what we think of it as art?  To me it does not have any real creativity except in the composition.
The picture does not really hold much interest. It is not clear what the standing person is doing. Perhaps if you had been the other side of the artist and showed what it was they were painting.  On the other hand that might have put you over the cliff! Nasty.  The light is harsh and the faces in deep shadow.  Perhaps you went over to chat to them.  If so, did you get any other shots?

Jim

dalethorn

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 06:03:01 am »

Quote from: Jim Pascoe
While I quite like the general composition, I am not really sure I understand the question about what we think of it as art?  To me it does not have any real creativity except in the composition.
The picture does not really hold much interest. It is not clear what the standing person is doing. Perhaps if you had been the other side of the artist and showed what it was they were painting.  On the other hand that might have put you over the cliff! Nasty.  The light is harsh and the faces in deep shadow.  Perhaps you went over to chat to them.  If so, did you get any other shots?
Jim

I appreciate the critiques. This was the best possible shot, due to a fence and large trees to the left and right. I can't explain in a short space why I like it so much - it has to do with artists in the family, and a photo series from Santa Barbara. The light indeed was bad, but the Kodak 260 was worse, so it took a bit of work just to get to this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up