Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Where the #%*! are My Pictures?'  (Read 37402 times)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
'Where the #%*! are My Pictures?'
« on: June 17, 2009, 10:55:24 pm »

I have posted our latest download video Tutorial - The Luminous Landscape Guide to Asset Management to the Store.

Three hours of profane wisdom that really has helped me know where the **** my pictures are.  

Chris S
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 11:00:45 pm by ChrisSand »

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 11:27:31 pm »

Quote from: ChrisSand
I have posted our latest download video Tutorial - The Luminous Landscape Guide to Asset Management to the Store.

Three hours of profane wisdom that really has helped me know where the **** my pictures are.  

Chris S

Excellent - viewing for this evening  
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:45:59 am »

I have had two reports of possible file corruption with the last file 'wamp-08.zip' - so I am replacing that file. It should be replaced by 1700 GMT.
Chris

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 03:17:58 pm »

The file mentioned above is now replaced

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:12:50 pm »

For anyone who wants to find out more about the Tutorial, there is now a page explaining all and with a preview video that gives Seth Resnick's recipe for a File Naming Convention.

pero

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 03:11:42 pm »

I´m trying to play this tutorial on my TV via my PS3 but have som problems.
Could you tell me which video/audio codecs you have used so that I can do some PS3 tuning ?

Btw LL Video 18HD and the Lightroom totorial works fine
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 03:48:29 pm by pero »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 04:06:20 pm »

The video is encoded with H264 which is now fairly standard. The only 'new' thing is that the pixel dimension (1280 x 720P) and the bitrate are a bit bigger/higher. I suggest you re-export using MPEG Streamclip or other free transcoder to the format that you find most stable for the PS - PSP?

Chris

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 07:39:11 pm »

Peter Krogh's file naming system is better.
CMurph

michael

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 08:51:46 pm »

"Better" can be a statement of fact or one of opinion.

Seems to me that yours is the latter rather than the former.

Michael

KeithR

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 09:58:14 pm »

Not having seen this new tutorial yet(still downloading it as I type this) I seem to recall a PhotoshopNews topic by Jeff Schewe that he, Michael, and Seth Resnick were to be in Miami to tape a tutorial. And in a thread on this forum, the same Mr. Schewe said he had packed his tie-dyed shorts and Hawaiian shirts and Michael threatened to wear a bikini...
Is this that tutorial? I took a look at the trailer and saw only Michael, in his usual conservative attire and Seth. Was Jeff hiding off camera, or did the censors digitally remove him?
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 10:26:00 pm »

Quote from: KeithR
Not having seen this new tutorial yet(still downloading it as I type this) I seem to recall a PhotoshopNews topic by Jeff Schewe that he, Michael, and Seth Resnick were to be in Miami to tape a tutorial. And in a thread on this forum, the same Mr. Schewe said he had packed his tie-dyed shorts and Hawaiian shirts and Michael threatened to wear a bikini...
Is this that tutorial? I took a look at the trailer and saw only Michael, in his usual conservative attire and Seth. Was Jeff hiding off camera, or did the censors digitally remove him?

I have just finished watching all of it and safely say there isnt a scerick of additional skin shown than you would expect  

In fact for Miami its all quite conservative!

EXCELLENT tutorial BTW - I thoroughly enjoyed it and learned a great deal about the DAM side of Lightroom that I previously didnt know.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:27:05 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

michael

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 11:03:11 pm »

Quote from: KeithR

Jeff wasn't involved in the new tutorial with Seth. He was there for a separate taping of new material on Camera Raw.

Michael

KeithR

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 11:08:56 am »

Quote from: michael
Jeff wasn't involved in the new tutorial with Seth. He was there for a separate taping of new material on Camera Raw.

Michael
Thanks for the heads up! I'll be looking for it. Any idea as to when. And will this update give any clues to the next generation of ACR?
On that note, since ACR and LR are so closely associated with one another, wouldn't it be simpler to just combine the two(in the update) and point out where they are similar/different in function with advantages as when to utilize which one? I realize that there are subtle differences between the apps, but they are so close in many aspects that even Adobe updates them somewhat together.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 11:09:46 am by KeithR »
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Chris Bishop

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 04:30:03 pm »

Quote from: Craig Murphy
Peter Krogh's file naming system is better.

I currently think you may be right.
I'm waiting for some answers to some grey areas.
However there was so much more to this tutorial, I hope you weren't blinkered and missed the wealth of experience and knowledge the pair gave out.
Chris Bishop

Chris Bishop

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 04:37:55 pm »

In the video, Seth "easily" re-named his files to be consistant, after a deletion or three. He also mentioned regularly deleting files to keep the catalogue "tight" If the folder had been archived, how would he know to re-verify and send off site?
I 'm used to keeping "archived" (read finished, or original RAWs) and "work in progress" (read current ,psds or .tifs in the video) seperate, not even changing a keyword to an archive file. How do you reconcile the two different types? I can see the difference between backup and archive. Backing up work in progress is fine and correct. I don't need to back up verified archived folders.
Chris Bishop

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 07:41:33 pm »

Michael and Chris,

As usual, Great Stuff!!!

I converted the files to AppleTV format so that I can watch them on my 52" plasma. A nice bottle of 2004 Sterling SVR Reserve and this series is making for a great evening.

I'm going to redo my file naming method and definitely do more comprehensive keywording.
Cheers.

Bud James
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 07:43:51 pm by budjames »
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 09:01:24 pm »

Michael,

I also found 'Where the #%*! are My Pictures'  to be well worth purchasing. Even after purchasing your Lightroom 2.0 video that you put out last year I found this one very helpful. In fact I have now set up presets for importing like the way Seth has done.  I am also going back and redoing those images (nearly 15,000) I have already imported and changing the file names. I found out that after setting up the preset I could use that preset when using the re-name feature. Even though I have a fairly good handle with Lightroom I seem to always be learning something new.

Thanks again for providing these current training videos.  Will be looking for more in the future.

Stu

Chris Bishop

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 04:58:20 am »

Quote from: StuartOnline
Michael,

I also found 'Where the #%*! are My Pictures'  to be well worth purchasing. Even after purchasing your Lightroom 2.0 video that you put out last year I found this one very helpful. In fact I have now set up presets for importing like the way Seth has done.  I am also going back and redoing those images (nearly 15,000) I have already imported and changing the file names. I found out that after setting up the preset I could use that preset when using the re-name feature. Even though I have a fairly good handle with Lightroom I seem to always be learning something new.

Thanks again for providing these current training videos.  Will be looking for more in the future.

Stu

I agree, but unsure about altering my archived photos. any suggestions? Or do I alter them, then re-archive them? How many times down the road does this happen? suggestions on this forum suggest they are working on a video for new LR "stuff" v3? More changes????
Chris Bishop

jed best

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 09:32:06 pm »

Kudos to Seth and Michael. I have had the privilege of hearing Seth at several D65 workshops. It is amazing how much I learn at each one and the same holds true for these DVD's. His system is so intuitive unlike others, that it is very easy to create a backup system that works. His advise to do adjustments on the raw file and then export to DNG has now been reinforced by Adobe changing what the DNG can do. It seems to me that it will still be some time before the DNG has been standardized so it is safest to follow Seth's advise.

His retelling of how his server toasted his images and without an offline backup, he would have been screwed is very telling. I for one, have ordered more off line drives so that they can be kept is a safe, offline place in case Murphy's law decides to visit me.

Jed Best

frugal

• http://www.andrewdaceyphotography.com/
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 09:43:23 pm »

All in all it was a pretty good set of videos but I completely disagree with Seth's renaming of files after he's deleted some of the files from the catalogue. I understand the aesthetics but for someone as anal about following good practices for managing your files as Seth appears to be I can't believe he's doing this.

Filenames need to be sacred, renaming files like this just begs to create problems down the road, especially when you're changing the name to the same as another file that was in the same directory and was likely modified around the same time. Say for instance you load a ton of files into your library and then create a web gallery from some of the selects. After that you do some further edits on the library and delete some of the ones that didn't make the cut and then rename the files in the folder so there's no gaps, now at least some of the filenames in your library don't match what's on your website, but you don't think to update your website because you didn't add or delete any images that made it to the website. So then later on a customer views your site and decides to order a print and the filename given (either by the customer or the backend software on your site) doesn't match what's in your gallery so you end up shipping the wrong print.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up