Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using DxO with new Tokina 12-24 DXII  (Read 10379 times)

Roy Money

Anyone using DxO with new Tokina 12-24 DXII
« on: June 17, 2009, 07:34:18 am »

I have been using DxO Optics Pro for several months and am a real believer in the software but am thinking about purchasing the new Tokina 12-24 DXII lens which is not yet supported. DxO does support the original Tokina 12-24 DX lens and the new lens is supposed to be the same except for a focusing motor and more lens coatings. However a DxO rep was uncertain about whather the new lens would be recognized. Is there any one using the new lens with DxO Optics Pro who can confirm whether the software recognizes the new lens as the same as the old?

Thanks,

Roy

Arthur Clune

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 05:30:19 pm »

I've got one and am using it with my D300. It reports as "AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED" in the exif. I hand't noticed this until now, but while my copy of DXO does stuff, it's clearly going to be using the wrong lens profile! I have no idea why the camera/lens combo is reporting this.

aaykay

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 06:21:53 pm »

Quote from: Arthur Clune
I've got one and am using it with my D300. It reports as "AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED" in the exif. I hand't noticed this until now, but while my copy of DXO does stuff, it's clearly going to be using the wrong lens profile! I have no idea why the camera/lens combo is reporting this.

Many a time, when an aftermarket company (like Sigma or Tamron or Tokina etc) develop a lens (without the manufacturer's blessings, obviously)  that does not have a direct equivalent in the manufacturer's range of lenses, from a FL/aperture standpoint, they "borrow" a lens identifier from one of the known list of manufacturer's lenses.  What this will do, is to allow the mount to recognize the product as a valid lens for the mount.

Now this would not be a problem for say a 24-70 f/2.8 HSM Sigma, since there is a direct equivalent of it, in the Canon, Nikon and Sony mounts and thus Sigma can "borrow" the lens ID of the equivalent product from the manufacturer.

Thus you see some of these lenses without a direct manufacturer equivalent, displaying such oddball info in the exif.  In your case, Tokina has obviously "borrowed" the lens ID of the 12-24 Nikkor.

This is especially problematic for the AF micro-adjustment available in such cameras, since an "adjustment" is done for a specific lens type (identified by a lens ID).  Thus if you have 2 copies of a 50mm f/1.4, the settings will need to be shared, since the body can only have one setting.  However, when a lens ID is "borrowed", and when such a Tokina is mounted, the camera goes to the micro-adjusted setting of the 12-24 Nikkor, which obviously would be wide off the mark.

Roy Money

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 08:39:08 pm »

Hi Arthur

Please excuse the delay  - I was out of town.

Are you satisfied with the DxO results you are getting with the Tokina DXII lens?  

My concern was that I would not have the benefit of a DxO lens correction module and I might want to consider the original Tokina 12-24 lens without AF which IS on the DxO list.  

In my case that would mean manual focusing for the time being as I use a D40x and I would not have the benefit of the extra lens coating of the new DXII lens that might be useful since flare was identified as one of the principal problems with the lens in dpreview.  

Since you are using a D300 the AF motor was obviously not important so I am assuming you opted for the new lens beacause of the extra lens coating.

The other problem mentioned in the dpreview evaluation was CA and I note that the DxO lens modules do not seem to provide a special lens specific correction for that.

Have you noted any issues with flare or CA?  
Any concerns or caveats about the lens?

Thanks for the feedback,

Roy

Roy Money

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 09:47:48 pm »

Hi Arthur

Please exuse the delay - I was away form the PC.

Given that your DXII lens profile is not included in DxO and it is being reported as Nikkor ..
How are you finding the DxO Optics results?

My concern was that since the new lens profile is not supported, although it is ostensibly very much the same as the original Tokina 12-24, that I might consider buyinjg the original lens instead to take advantage of the DxO lens specific adjustments.  However in my case I would have to focus mannually for the time being as I use a D40x.  Also I would not have the benefits of the extra lens coatings.  In a recent dpreview evaluation flare was mentioned as one of the principal shortcomings of the Tokina DX lens.    The other issue highligted was CA but I see on the DxO website that DxO does not use the particular lens profile to address the CA issues.

Since you are using a D300 I assume you chose the DXII lens for the extra lens coatings.  
Any comments about flare or CA in your lens?  
Any concerns or histation in recommending the lens?

Thanks for your feedback.

Roy

Arthur Clune

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 04:40:28 pm »

Hi,

I'm really liking the lens. I borrowed a 12-24 Nikkon beforehand and I'm finding the Tokina better. I've had no problems with CA and only a provoked a little flare, but that was in a circumstance where I think most lens would flare.

I checked today what modules I have installed for DXO. In that focal length, I have only the Tokina 12-24 DX (not DX II) module installed and don't have the module for the Nikon 12-24. Loading a NEF from the Tokina into DXO I get offered the full set of lens corrections (lens sharpness, lens distortion etc) so it is clearly treating the lens the same as the plain DX version.

I'm very happy with what DXO does to the NEFs from the lens. It seems to correct distortion etc correctly (just on a "it looks better afterwards" basis).

Arthur

Arthur Clune

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 04:46:59 pm »

To finish answering your questions: I got the DX II rather than the plain DX as I'm not planning on replacing the lens for a good while, so I thought the extra coatings worthwhile. The difference is cost wasn't so much (£70 quid) as to make it worth while skimping. For comparision, the Nikon would have been £310 more. That's  a lot for me.

Roy Money

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 10:40:57 pm »

To finish answering your questions: I got the DX II rather than the plain DX as I'm not planning on replacing the lens for a good while, so I thought the extra coatings worthwhile. The difference is cost wasn't so much (£70 quid) as to make it worth while skimping. For comparision, the Nikon would have been £310 more. That's  a lot for me.

Many thanks Arthur
Knowing that you are getting good results despite the absence of a correct lens protocol and the report of a different lens is very encouraging.
I think I will go ahead and order the new DXII  but I will do so with more confidence  now.

Best wishes,

Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up