Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic Lumix FZ28  (Read 6562 times)

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Panasonic Lumix FZ28
« on: June 16, 2009, 08:27:21 pm »

I was asked by a co-worker to recommend a camera in the $300-$400 range that would be suitable for his 15-16 year old daughter.  She is interested in photography and he'd like to get her something decent for her birthday.

I see this camera is available in the Toronto area for $400 CDN so it fits the bill budget wise, and I wanted to suggest a camera with RAW capability which this one has, and which I would assume would be a good thing if the girl wants to do "serious" starter level photography.  I have seen some good reviews for this camera or its predecessor models, plus Michael has been favorable on some of the other Panasonics, though he has not reviewed this particular model.

Anyone have any experience with this camera good or bad, or able to offer suggestions for alternate models to consider?  I would like to suggest to my co-worker that he consider alos getting software such as Photoshop Elements but I will need to confirm if this model is supported.  I have started skimming Adobe site but no luck finding info so far and so if anyone has a link (of supported cameras)  I'd be interested in getting that too.

Thanks,

Andrew
[size=12p

dalethorn

Panasonic Lumix FZ28
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 10:03:52 pm »

Quote from: AndrewKulin
I was asked by a co-worker to recommend a camera in the $300-$400 range that would be suitable for his 15-16 year old daughter.  She is interested in photography and he'd like to get her something decent for her birthday.
I see this camera is available in the Toronto area for $400 CDN so it fits the bill budget wise, and I wanted to suggest a camera with RAW capability which this one has, and which I would assume would be a good thing if the girl wants to do "serious" starter level photography.  I have seen some good reviews for this camera or its predecessor models, plus Michael has been favorable on some of the other Panasonics, though he has not reviewed this particular model.
Anyone have any experience with this camera good or bad, or able to offer suggestions for alternate models to consider?  I would like to suggest to my co-worker that he consider alos getting software such as Photoshop Elements but I will need to confirm if this model is supported.  I have started skimming Adobe site but no luck finding info so far and so if anyone has a link (of supported cameras)  I'd be interested in getting that too.
Thanks,
Andrew

I use several Panasonics, not the FZ28, but it has the same engine and sensor as the ZS3 and TZ5, so I'd say it's a bargain considering the long zoom, the best lens and image stabilization in that class of camera, and RAW processing.  I presume it has the same RAW format as the LX3 and G1, and I read a comment in one of the threads here recently that discussed the RAW compatibility options, so you should be able to find that in a search.

Richowens

Panasonic Lumix FZ28
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 10:04:38 pm »

ACR 5.3 camera support

This camera is also supported in Lightroom 2.3

HTH

Rich

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Panasonic Lumix FZ28
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 07:40:01 am »

For someone who wants to be serious about photography, I think a basic entry-level DSLR might be a better choice. It provides much more control over camera operations than a compact camera, and makes a better learning platform IMHO.

Last fall I found a Canon Rebel XTi kit with the kit lens on sale at my local office supply store for less than $400. (It was an open box, and I ended up getting it for $310.) I bought it for my own teenage daughter. I do wish that the kit lens had IS, but that's the only downside (and easily remedied with the proper application of cash.)

There are many DSLR kits on sale at places like KEH.com -- yes, they are used, but that's not a bad way to buy cameras. It's possible to get much more for the money that way.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 07:40:44 am by k bennett »
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

guyharrison

Panasonic Lumix FZ28
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 10:50:39 am »

Hi,

I use the predecessor model (FZ18) camera for my personal snapshooting.  At higher levels I use Canon 35mm "L" and Contax 645.

While all small sensor cameras have limitations, I wholeheartedly recommend the FZ28.  The incredibly long and wide zoom offers lots of compositional possibilities for a new photographer.  There is no DSLR kit that can even come close for this price.  Also, it is incredibly light, can be carried in a purse, and is easy to have with you all the time than a DSLR.  And, for someone who wants to seriously learn photography, it is MUCH better and more versatile than "pocket" p/s cameras.

The camera offers full manual exposure controls and full control over white balances (even WB adjustment and custom WB) if you wish.  Manual focus is available also and not hard to get used to.  There is a filter thread for polarizers.

The camera also offers a form of depth of field preview (when you press the shutter half way the lens stops down) but with tiny sensor cameras this is of limited usefulness--but there just the same.

The EVF is essential for any serious photography that takes place out of doors, and is pretty good.

The panny quick menu allows instant access to the most important functions.

I would say, though, that if she wants to print photos at sizes larger than 8x10 (or 5x7 at any iso 400 and above) then a DSLR will offer much higher quality.  If she wants to shoot for small album prints, for the web, for computer, for Ipods etc then this camera's quality is more than enough for a learner's first camera.

Good luck!

Guy

dalethorn

Panasonic Lumix FZ28
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 04:36:34 pm »

Quote from: k bennett
For someone who wants to be serious about photography, I think a basic entry-level DSLR might be a better choice. It provides much more control over camera operations than a compact camera, and makes a better learning platform IMHO.
Last fall I found a Canon Rebel XTi kit with the kit lens on sale at my local office supply store for less than $400. (It was an open box, and I ended up getting it for $310.) I bought it for my own teenage daughter. I do wish that the kit lens had IS, but that's the only downside (and easily remedied with the proper application of cash.)
There are many DSLR kits on sale at places like KEH.com -- yes, they are used, but that's not a bad way to buy cameras. It's possible to get much more for the money that way.

This could well be the better way to go, depending on what light the person will be shooting in.  The FZ-28 uses the tiniest sensor (1/2.3) out there today, and low light will make for bad noise and focus problems.

mbridgers

Panasonic Lumix FZ28
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 07:43:16 am »

I recently bought the FZ28 at about USD260 from Amazon.  I find I'm using it more and more because of its light weight compared to my Pentax K10D, and its video capability .  It has a nice burst mode where it does about 6 3-megapixel frames per second, which I've used quite a bit shooting my kids' lacrosse games.  Focus is fine and usually quick, it has autofocus tracking which works fairly well for the sports too.  I find that higher ISO files actually look better in JPEG than with what I can do in Lightroom (not that I'm particularly good in lightroom).  I have set noise reduction to -1, contrast to +1, and left the other settings at their default.

I wouldn't underestimate the value of the HD video either, especially for a teenager.  It's pretty good, even in low light.

I normally shoot raw+jpeg, and print roughly 8x6 on A4 paper, and have gotten good shots and some nice complements on my photos taken with it.

At the current prices, I think it is a great buy.

dalethorn

Panasonic Lumix FZ28
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 03:42:43 pm »

Quote from: mbridgers
I wouldn't underestimate the value of the HD video either, especially for a teenager.  It's pretty good, even in low light.

That's one area where the P&S Panasonics really shine.  Where a lot of still shots would produce a lousy image at best, the video is nearly always watchable and keepable.  One problem with most P&S's though: They don't have separate metering for video and stills, so if you use spot metering for stills, the video typically bounces back and forth to extreme bright and extreme dark, in outdoor shooting, unless you hold very, very still, and the objects you're shooting also don't move (which is pretty much contrary to video).

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
Panasonic Lumix FZ28
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 05:01:01 pm »

From my own experience of helping my (now) 16 year old son I would really recommend a DSLR. He was using a cast aside Canon and I bought him a Canon Rebel (400D) with 18-55 lens about 18 months ago. His creativity has taken off and has managed to convince me to "upgrade" a couple of my lenses. He notices the flexibility and image quality of the DSLR as a huge improvement and has started to build a good following amongst his friends. He does however miss the video capability and his mother's Canon IXUS seems to be with him permanently to remedy that. He is now trying to persuade me that a Canon 5D Mark II would help him - that's a much larger step and he will need to do a lot of work in my garden to help me first.

You should warn your colleague that the Panasonic will not be the last camera he buys for his daughter once she takes a keen interest!
Pete Truman

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Panasonic Lumix FZ28
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 01:33:51 pm »

Thanks for the input folks.  All good points and I will pass these on to my coworker.

Andrew
[size=12p
Pages: [1]   Go Up