Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for Offset Poster Printing  (Read 3630 times)

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Advice for Offset Poster Printing
« on: June 16, 2009, 08:23:05 am »

I am planning to do a 500 print run of 12"x31" posters.  I have investigated online printing services and it seems that I cannot get a real proof, only PDF proof.  I am anxious about this process without a true proof, so I thought I would solicit advice on LL forums on getting the best results out of offset printing.  I currently do fine art inkjet prints with an Epson 7880 at DPIs above 240.  

How should I sharpen for offset printing?
Should I resize the image or give them the highest resolution image I have?
Will Adobe RGB color space be appropriate?
What file format is best to exchange? PSD? TIFF? PDF?

Any advice anyone can give me would be appreciated.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 08:42:34 pm »

Awe shucks. I thought someone here would have some experience in this area.

tived

• http://
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 08:48:46 pm »

Quote from: fike
Awe shucks. I thought someone here would have some experience in this area.

Insist on a proof, or send just one off, but with a step-wedge, so you can see what the black-point is. Also are they providing you with any details, such as Total Ink Limits etc, it is to be converted to CMYK?

All the info you just asked for, is something they should be informing you. Ask them! If you are not getting the answers you need, then find another printer.

The rule here is, you get what you pay for...so if you are going to a cheap-a*s print shop, don't expect to get first class service. If it important, then do what you have to do.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask here, happy to help, as I am sure there are others here too.

Henrik

jjlphoto

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 10:11:15 pm »

Actually, on-line proofing via PDF is the way things are going now. And I'm not talking about cheapo copy shops, but with large commercial  pre-press houses that do work for large advertising agencies.

You could go to your own pre-press house and ask for a contract proof, they will want the printers specs, and then they will convert your file to the appropriate CMYK, and deliver to you a digital proof on actual paper stock, something like a PolaProof, Kodak Approval, or similar. (Chromalin proofs made from actual halftone films are pretty much a thing of the past.) If you are satisfied with the proof, then give that and the file to your printer, and it will be their job to match the proof.

Third alternative is to make what is referred to as a cross rendered proof on your inkjet printer. That method also requires you to have the printers specs, and you will need the knowledge on what to do with them. Andrew Rodney's site or one of the other color gurus should have the steps to make one, I can't recall them myself right now.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 10:14:45 pm by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

petermarrek

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 10:23:05 pm »

Just a question, why don't you print them yourself? That way you can do 50 at a time when you need them.

Osequis

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 06:38:05 am »

Hi, hope this can help you:

-How should I sharpen for offset printing?
Well, this depends of the quality of the image, but assuming the file is 240 ppi and will be printed at 2400/3600 dpi, don't over sharpen or pixelation will be very noticeable in the final print. Apply the same sharpening formula you use for glossy inkjet, a moderated one.

-Should I resize the image or give them the highest resolution image I have?
If your image is at 240 ppi at 100% size, then is good enough, 300 ppi is considered the standard, but just interpolating will not do much difference, so I suggest leaving it at the original res/100% size. If the image needs to be increased more than 30% then go for the 300ppi res. Do the sharpen AFTER you scale the image.

-Will Adobe RGB color space be appropriate?
Adobe RGB is good, kinda a standard too. Converting to CMYK without a proper color profile/space from the final printing device will mess with the color and will be harder for the printer to fix it. Let them do the conversion. Dont use sRGB, is very limited.

-What file format is best to exchange? PSD? TIFF? PDF?
All 3 will work, I personally preffer TIFF with no compression of any kind, but if the file is mainly vector information then PDF will be better. I will suggest converting all fonts to paths outlines or rasterize them. A layered PSD is useful if you want the printer match a particular color in a object, like a logo, layers will help the prepress guys to fix the color if needed without going nuts doing intrincated selections. I personally avoid JPGs but sometimes distance and time forced me to use them with acceptable results.

About the printed proof, I agree PDFs are the common use now. If there's a critical color in the printed piece, like a pantone for a logo, then you will want to see a printed proof. If the job is not that demanding, the PDF will be close enough to the final piece. Most of the time a printed proof will be printed, they need it for the offset press. Is just mailing it slows a lot the process.

I know internet printers are too hard to avoid with those deals, but finding a local printer is always the best. You will have more control over the whole process. You can talk directly with the people in charge, will be able to see other printed pieces and see what quality they're are capable of. You can see the actual color proof they will use on press. If price is a concern, show them the website offering the best deal, ask them if they can match it... I'm sure they will. You even can get a discount and help your local business.

tived

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 09:15:10 am »

Quote from: Osequis
Hi, hope this can help you:

-How should I sharpen for offset printing?
Well, this depends of the quality of the image, but assuming the file is 240 ppi and will be printed at 2400/3600 dpi, don't over sharpen or pixelation will be very noticeable in the final print. Apply the same sharpening formula you use for glossy inkjet, a moderated one.

-Should I resize the image or give them the highest resolution image I have?
If your image is at 240 ppi at 100% size, then is good enough, 300 ppi is considered the standard, but just interpolating will not do much difference, so I suggest leaving it at the original res/100% size. If the image needs to be increased more than 30% then go for the 300ppi res. Do the sharpen AFTER you scale the image.

-Will Adobe RGB color space be appropriate?
Adobe RGB is good, kinda a standard too. Converting to CMYK without a proper color profile/space from the final printing device will mess with the color and will be harder for the printer to fix it. Let them do the conversion. Dont use sRGB, is very limited.

-What file format is best to exchange? PSD? TIFF? PDF?
All 3 will work, I personally preffer TIFF with no compression of any kind, but if the file is mainly vector information then PDF will be better. I will suggest converting all fonts to paths outlines or rasterize them. A layered PSD is useful if you want the printer match a particular color in a object, like a logo, layers will help the prepress guys to fix the color if needed without going nuts doing intrincated selections. I personally avoid JPGs but sometimes distance and time forced me to use them with acceptable results.

About the printed proof, I agree PDFs are the common use now. If there's a critical color in the printed piece, like a pantone for a logo, then you will want to see a printed proof. If the job is not that demanding, the PDF will be close enough to the final piece. Most of the time a printed proof will be printed, they need it for the offset press. Is just mailing it slows a lot the process.

I know internet printers are too hard to avoid with those deals, but finding a local printer is always the best. You will have more control over the whole process. You can talk directly with the people in charge, will be able to see other printed pieces and see what quality they're are capable of. You can see the actual color proof they will use on press. If price is a concern, show them the website offering the best deal, ask them if they can match it... I'm sure they will. You even can get a discount and help your local business.

If it was all the easy :-) , then sending files to CMYK printing would be a dream, but I am afraid it is not that straight, many printers today, will do direct to print on the cheaper jobs, sure they may send you a PDF proof, but it isn't telling you that much, and can easily be mis-leading IMHO.

ASK QUESTIONS!!!! ask your printer all the questions you need, to make sure you have all the details. If you don;t know the questions to ask, then you are better off letting someone who knows the prepress world do the work.

You and your printer are a team for this job, get them to work with you. obviously nobody wants to work for free, therefore if the job is important, then you have to pay to get it done right. Alternatively send them a test sheet to be printed under the same process and work out what you need to do to make your prints look good, it can be that simple.

best of luck

Henrik

PS: You will need to provide more information here, if you need more help!! happy to help though

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 11:25:56 am »

Wow! thanks for all the help.  I think I am going to need to shop around with some local print shops.  I wonder how much of a price hit I will take?

I considered printing at home with inkjet, but I wasn't sure the price would be good.  Perhaps I need to do some analysis of that.  

Interesting to hear about matching logo colors. I do indeed need to match a logo color, and the PDF proof they sent looked a little off to me.  

Go to know that the sharpening is similar or identical to inkjet.  I tend to be pretty conservative in that area anyway.

thanks,
fike

seangirard

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 12:00:29 pm »

I work at a print shop.

PDF proofing can work well but when it comes to color it is only as good as everyone's color management setup and knowledge - both yours and the printer's. Frankly the same is true for a hard proof as well which by and large are done on inkjets. The nice thing about a hard proof is that you know it will be (or should be) out there with the pressman while he is getting up to color.

Buying online will almost certainly be cheaper than working local (although you might find some shops selling press time pretty cheap right now). The trade off is that you will probably not be able to have the same level of dialogue that you can have with a smaller shop, go to the press run, etc.

You might find that 500 12x31 turns out to be kind of expensive per unit. Reason being you need a fairly large press to run that kind of work and that is a pretty small run for, say, a 40 inch press. They will burn through more sheets making ready than it takes to print the job!

If they're going to run 2-up on a 40 anyway you might see about putting a second poster on the form. The cost difference between 250 sheets and 500 sheets plus a couple extra cuts probably won't be that much.

-sean

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 03:32:33 pm »

It's been a really long time since I had any printing press runs done, but there is one thing I remember from the old days when I was doing brochures, etc...

The only proofs that have any meaning at all are the "proofs" that come off the presses at the point of setting up the run.  That's the only time you can make really meaningful changes in color.  You've got to be there at the beginning of the run, looking at the proofs with the press operators.  And you've got to understand that your "gamut" at that point offers very little wiggle room, sigh.  And if you are going for quality, you have to be willing to say (sometimes expensively) "look guys, this all wrong, no way are we going to run this job."

Maybe times have changed.  That would be wonderful.

I did try some online 11.75 x 36" posters a few years ago.  Thinking myself clever, I first bought the minimum (100 prints), had them overnighted, they were beautiful, top quality.  That morning, less than 24 ours later, I called in for a run of 5000.  Those were Pure Crud.  They probably ran them on different presses suited for limited runs versus large runs.  Duh.  Never tried it again, I'm not a gambler.

Fike, I would sincerely like to hear how your stuff turns out, how you prepped, who did the job, etc.  Thanks!

tived

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 09:01:52 pm »

Quote from: bill t.
It's been a really long time since I had any printing press runs done, but there is one thing I remember from the old days when I was doing brochures, etc...

The only proofs that have any meaning at all are the "proofs" that come off the presses at the point of setting up the run.  That's the only time you can make really meaningful changes in color.  You've got to be there at the beginning of the run, looking at the proofs with the press operators.  And you've got to understand that your "gamut" at that point offers very little wiggle room, sigh.  And if you are going for quality, you have to be willing to say (sometimes expensively) "look guys, this all wrong, no way are we going to run this job."

Maybe times have changed.  That would be wonderful.

I did try some online 11.75 x 36" posters a few years ago.  Thinking myself clever, I first bought the minimum (100 prints), had them overnighted, they were beautiful, top quality.  That morning, less than 24 ours later, I called in for a run of 5000.  Those were Pure Crud.  They probably ran them on different presses suited for limited runs versus large runs.  Duh.  Never tried it again, I'm not a gambler.

Fike, I would sincerely like to hear how your stuff turns out, how you prepped, who did the job, etc.  Thanks!

Hi fike,

I am at the end of doing the artwork and color corrections on a cook book, which is being printed in Hong Kong, and I am in Western Australia. there is not the budget for me to do a press-check personally in Hong Kong.

I too have asked a lot of question here, and have received some great answers, along with reading between 2-3000 pages of information, spoken to about 30 different people. Spoken to the printer in Hong Kong, who I might add, have been very helpful.
I did test proofs at a local printer, checking what I could expect in density, compared that with the TIL (Total Ink Limits) that I was provided with, softproof with the printer supplied ICC profile (CMYK) now, I had a further few test prints done, and was then lucky to find a book similar to what we are producing from the same printer, on the same stock that we will be using. Stop! my proofs are on different paper then this book! started to compare the proofs to the book, book was on slightly darker paper.
Unable to get this paper locally, I have had to make adjustment to may color corrections, mainly density, based on my perception of the proof versus the actual paper. I have gotten a final proof back, which is a screen match, except it is just that bit brighter (intentionally) so that when we print on the actual paper, I will hit the mark.

Slightly different jobs, but you will have a similar process. If you print locally, you can get responses much quicker, I still had to go between publisher, photographer, printer locally and final printer.

So, to boil it down,

make up a sheet, and scale down or crop your original image, usually proofs are approx A3 or 13x19", ad a control image with a gray scale step wedge, I am sure DigitalDog has one on this website or OutBackPhoto has one. I have used the later one, which I have used when I make my paper profiles on my printers as test print. So I am familiar with it, and have seen what can go wrong.

Note, when doing the book I was also very lucky to get in contact with a gentleman from the UK, who had made the software, the printer uses to softproof with, and this software unlike Photoshop could tell you which color was out of gamut. He kindly processed crops of three images, that I thought was trouble, and I got those test back, showing that my fear wasn't warranted, maybe I was lucky.

Any how, convert your sheet to the output profile that the printer is using. It could be one of the "newer" CMYK  FOGRA standard.  Evaluate the print, for color and density

If this is a CMYK job, you will need to know TIL (Total Ink Limits) eg the max density and GCR but I think the TIL is more important.

There are others here who know more then what I do, and may even correct me, which is great if they do, cos I want to learn more.

Once you have this confirmed, you can either feel relieved or running back to the drawing board :-)

I hope this helps - now, go get the information you need - then come back here and tell us. even make en image available. We are here to help.

Good luck

Henrik

PS: I have been told i am rather pedantic :-)

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 04:26:19 am »

If you'd like, I can run a contract proof of the file and send it to you. This is the closest you will get in SWOP standard in offset printing to match your print job (Other than being there to see the first run/proof). I think any press is going the be fairly pricey. You really can't beat some of the online volume rates. You just have to find one that has strict calibration cleaning standards.

I can help you further with any conversions you may need. just email me.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 04:38:41 am by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up