Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 head strikes with my Epson 7900 and Lyve canvas  (Read 3915 times)

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
3 head strikes with my Epson 7900 and Lyve canvas
« on: June 15, 2009, 04:36:45 pm »

I received my sample rolls of Breathing Color Lyve canvas on Friday. Loaded the 17" sample 20' roll and proceeded to print. The first 2 came out with no problem. Then the problems started. I noticed a deeper then normal horizontal imprint from the Epsons vacumn system on the first 2 canvas prints. I processed another file for printing. When it started to print I had my first head strike and jam. What is happening is the vacumn system puts its pressure on the canvas. The Lyve seems to be a little softer then other canvases. It curls the leading edge of the canvas up just abit but enough for the head to snag on and believe you me it grabs that head and stops it on a dime. Pulled the canvas out cut it off by hand and tried it again. Same results another strike. This time I talked to the folks at Breathing Color and this is the first they have heard of this. They asked me to set the platen to its widest setting,I did have it set to wide. Cut the messed up piece off and reset the platen to its widest and guess what? I had another head strike. Has anyone else had issues with this material? I have run at least 8 full rolls of canvas through this printer and no problems. The first 17"sample roll is gone and I guess I will load the 24" Lyve roll and see what happens. Not sure if I can stand to watch any more head strikes. Not sure if the printer can take many more either.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 04:39:57 pm by Dan Berg »

ternst

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 05:33:52 pm »

Not the same as Epson obviously, but I put a 36" roll of the new stuff through my HP z3100 last week - used the entire roll for a single multi-panel print. No issues at all. I used the same settings as for the normal BC canvas. The only difference I could really tell (other than the softer feel) is that this roll was not wound up tight on the core like their other canvas - I usually have to trash 8'-10' at the end of each roll because of lines due to them winding up the roll too tight during manufacture. If they do this "loose" roll on all of the new canvas that would be great!

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 06:16:26 pm »

I am now experimenting a little with the Lyve 24" roll. As soon as I complete a print I am releasing the suction which takes the pressure off the canvas. No suction pressure imprint ,no head strike and jam. Now I have to figure out why the suction pressure is curling the canvas. Too much vacumn? I do not really want to change vacumn settings but will check with Epson and see if their is a way to tone down the pressure for this canvas. Not really sure I want to go through all of this for a canvas I may or may not use.

pindman

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 11:47:59 pm »

Quote from: Dan Berg
I am now experimenting a little with the Lyve 24" roll. As soon as I complete a print I am releasing the suction which takes the pressure off the canvas. No suction pressure imprint ,no head strike and jam. Now I have to figure out why the suction pressure is curling the canvas. Too much vacumn? I do not really want to change vacumn settings but will check with Epson and see if their is a way to tone down the pressure for this canvas. Not really sure I want to go through all of this for a canvas I may or may not use.

No problem tonight with the 17" Lyve roll on my 9900 set on "canvas".  Didn't need to modify vacuum or any other settings.

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up