Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY Hasselblad AC grip adapter?  (Read 3342 times)

jing q

• we are super
DIY Hasselblad AC grip adapter?
« on: June 15, 2009, 12:52:37 pm »

$315 for a dc adapter.
I figure one can be easily made DIY in a different form?
two electrical contact points connected to the right amp/voltage? does that sound right?
maybe a rubber band to connect it tightly to the camera...
Sounds feasible?

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 01:41:48 pm »

do ya really wanna roll the dice on something like that??

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 04:49:27 pm »

Quote from: jing q
$315 for a dc adapter.
I figure one can be easily made DIY in a different form?
two electrical contact points connected to the right amp/voltage? does that sound right?
maybe a rubber band to connect it tightly to the camera...
Sounds feasible?
You would need four contacts - two input and two output, and a transformer, and a voltage regulator, and some type of magic to keep it consistent to get consistent results from the camera...

But if I nothing to do for a week or two, and I could pick up a few cameras to experiment on for $100 each...
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 08:38:43 pm »

Quote from: jimgolden
do ya really wanna roll the dice on something like that??

I once jury rigged a Remote Control Car Battery to my Olympus E-10 with parts all purchased from Radio Shack.

I thought I did a bang up job and it worked perfectly for 2 years; it was able to run the camera for an entire day where the normal battery lasted only an hour or two of heavy shooting (vague recollections of time from 7ish years ago).

However one day I was shooting and noticed a burning smell and, yes, in fact the wiring had twisted and pulled enough that even my I-thought-overkill construction had worn down and shorted out. The result was a VERY hot battery which, had it been not immediately unnoticed would have been extremely dangerous (fire/burn/equipment-damage etc).

I'm all for DIY mechanical solutions, but electrical solutions (especially when dealing with very expensive gear) is not my *personal* suggestion unless you are extremely confident in your abilities in that area.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 08:39:23 pm by dougpetersonci »

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 09:15:41 pm »

$315  vs Fried H camera

sells itself.

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 10:04:00 pm »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
You would need four contacts - two input and two output, and a transformer, and a voltage regulator, and some type of magic to keep it consistent to get consistent results from the camera...

But if I nothing to do for a week or two, and I could pick up a few cameras to experiment on for $100 each...

thanks for a helpful response
I'm probably going to drop by my local DIY electrician to see what he suggests...
thanks for all the less detailed responses also, however electrical DIY solutions are easier to make more elegantly than mechanical DIY solutions in my experience so I'm not too worried as long as the necessary precautions are taken

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 12:11:56 am »

i'm interested to see what you come up with I just dont know if I'd want to be the guinea pig...

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 06:01:38 am »

Quote from: jing q
thanks for a helpful response
I'm probably going to drop by my local DIY electrician to see what he suggests...
thanks for all the less detailed responses also, however electrical DIY solutions are easier to make more elegantly than mechanical DIY solutions in my experience so I'm not too worried as long as the necessary precautions are taken
There are off-the-peg DC adaptors which might be adequate if you knew precisely what voltage and max current you needed... one problem is that it would not be a constant load (current requirement).

All electronic kit needs DC, so you would be better off at you local electronic store, e.g. Maplin, or on the internet.

A simple solution would be a battery of the right voltage and max current in conjunction with an auto charge rate battery charger, as the battery would, to a large extent, protect the camera from the power... you would need a fuse or circuit breaker on the ac and dc circuits.

The DC voltage might not be critical, as the camera is designed to run off a battery, which would not have a constant voltage... but some batteries (e.g. the rectangular 9v batteries) are designed to produce nearly constant voltage... unlike a car battery, which produces an output of between 6 and 15 volts, and (due to low internal resistance) can produce dangerously high currents likely to cause fires.

If you had an unserviceable camera battery you could connect to that.

... but it will invalidate the warranty.

You could simply connect a computer to it and power it through firewire.

It should not be very difficult, but don't blame me, I advise you not to try.

If you are using you camera enough to make it worth thinking about an ac/dc adaptor, your time would be better spent using the camera.

I am an agricultural, mechanical, electronic and software engineer, and I am contemplating using my skills for robotic remote control of cameras, and shift/stitch and computer programmable focus for focus merge in macro.

Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 11:07:10 am »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
There are off-the-peg DC adaptors which might be adequate if you knew precisely what voltage and max current you needed... one problem is that it would not be a constant load (current requirement).

All electronic kit needs DC, so you would be better off at you local electronic store, e.g. Maplin, or on the internet.

A simple solution would be a battery of the right voltage and max current in conjunction with an auto charge rate battery charger, as the battery would, to a large extent, protect the camera from the power... you would need a fuse or circuit breaker on the ac and dc circuits.

The DC voltage might not be critical, as the camera is designed to run off a battery, which would not have a constant voltage... but some batteries (e.g. the rectangular 9v batteries) are designed to produce nearly constant voltage... unlike a car battery, which produces an output of between 6 and 15 volts, and (due to low internal resistance) can produce dangerously high currents likely to cause fires.

If you had an unserviceable camera battery you could connect to that.

... but it will invalidate the warranty.

You could simply connect a computer to it and power it through firewire.

It should not be very difficult, but don't blame me, I advise you not to try.

If you are using you camera enough to make it worth thinking about an ac/dc adaptor, your time would be better spent using the camera.

I am an agricultural, mechanical, electronic and software engineer, and I am contemplating using my skills for robotic remote control of cameras, and shift/stitch and computer programmable focus for focus merge in macro.

http://www2.xpalpower.com/us/

I've been using this for various devices including powering my leaf back, hassy back (with abit of craftknifing to fit the Firewire adapter in), Vaio laptop, Macbook Pro (cutting the magsafe adapter and creating a adapter with it), so I figured if I could create the right adapter I could connect it to this battery and power the H3D in the event that I run out of battery in the field.

Just always nice to have options.
Pages: [1]   Go Up