Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I get Photoshop?  (Read 12717 times)

Ed Blagden

Should I get Photoshop?
« on: June 15, 2009, 05:02:27 am »

Hi,

I only switched to digital a couple of years back, when the Canon 5D became an affordable option for me, and since then I have been happily using Adobe Lightroom 1.x

My question is, is it worth making the considerable investment both in terms of money and learning time to get Photoshop CSx to complement Lightroom?  I recently posted a few shots on the Critique board here, and various other members had some fun Photoshopping my efforts.  When I ask "how did you do that?" I usually get a lot of teccy stuff back about adjustment layers and honestly I have no idea what the guys are talking about but the results look good (sometimes).

What can Photoshop CSx do for me which I absolutely can't do in Lightroom 1.x or 2.x?

Incidentally, I don't really have an interest in manipulating shots at the pixel level, just in "developing" and printing good photos.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Should I get Photoshop?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 02:20:33 pm »

That's a tough question to answer, and only you can really decide.  Photoshop has been described as the '800 pound gorilla' of editing programs, and there's no question of its capabilities.  If you're still using Lightroom 1.x you might want to try upgrading to Lightroom 2.3 first and see if that satisfies your requirements.  It's a lot cheaper and there would be much less of a learning curve.  With the adjustment brush it has some capability for dodging/ burning, etc.  If you have no experience with Photoshop, if you do decide to go that route you'd be best to add a course or two to your cost estimates (online or in person, depending on what works for you).

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

DarkPenguin

Should I get Photoshop?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 04:07:38 pm »

Quote from: Ed B
What can Photoshop CSx do for me which I absolutely can't do in Lightroom 1.x or 2.x?

Softproof, lens correct, stitch images, stack images for focus, creative sharpen, anything requiring layers...

I'd get LR2 before I got CS4.

Sheldon N

Should I get Photoshop?
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 06:39:30 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
I'd get LR2 before I got CS4.

Ditto.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

francois

Should I get Photoshop?
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 05:18:21 am »

As others suggested, try LR 2.3 before investing in Photoshop CS 4. Additionally, you can download a trial version of CS4 and see if you it could be useful for your workflow. There's always Photoshop Elements that can be handle    "pixel editing" although advanced featured like CMYK mode, softproofing, stacking etc... are only found in Photoshop CS 4.
Francois

Ed Blagden

Should I get Photoshop?
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 09:01:35 am »

Thanks to all for the advice.  Seems that there is a universal consensus, so I think I'll hang back and upgrade to LR2.3 before doing anything else.

Ed

HickersonJasonC

Should I get Photoshop?
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 02:57:55 pm »

Thanks to all for the advice.  Seems that there is a universal consensus, so I think I'll hang back and upgrade to LR2.3 before doing anything else.

Ed

Not only do I also support your purchase of LR 2.3 before plunging for Photoshop, I would highly recommend you pick up a used copy of Real World Adobe Photoshop (any version after CS will work, but I'd get one written by Bruce Fraser like the excellent CS2 version). Read the book before downloading the trial version or work with the two together. This should give you a great indication of what PS does and if it should be a part of your workflow.

In the end, though, from what you said above I think you'll be satisfied for a while with the newest version of LR.

Jonathan Ratzlaff

Should I get Photoshop?
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 08:25:01 pm »

The main difference between photoshop and lightroom is that lightroom is good for global adjustments, whereas photoshop is good for selective adjustments.  For a basic primer, just get a copy of photoshop elements to start.  Still won't give you soft proofing, but it does give you some selective control via adjustment layers and masks at least in adjustment layers.

cmi

Should I get Photoshop?
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 06:35:08 am »

Quote from: Jonathan Ratzlaff
The main difference between photoshop and lightroom is that lightroom is good for global adjustments, whereas photoshop is good for selective adjustments.

That sums it up very good. Generally Photoshop (or any other retouching app, you also could use GIMP wich is free) lets you really get into details. You are completely free in what you want to do and how, but of course you will need to learn some basic concepts, you will need to be willing spending time with it, and you should use it frequently to become better. Once you know how Masking and Layers works it becomes quite easy. Its really not that hard at all, it just takes practice.

My advice, get a used V7 or CS1. Less money, same basic toolset as the new versions. Some advanced features missing, but well, you could always upgrade if you want. If Im not wrong you can get Camera Raw working for v7 too (someone please correct me here if Im wrong.)

Christian

chex

Should I get Photoshop?
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 08:11:05 pm »

Ooh a Kenyan! Vipi mzee!

my 2p: if you don't want to spend a fortune on CS4, and from the sounds of it any Photoshop will do for you - CS - CS3 are available cheap as ndizi (teehee) second hand.

Ed Blagden

Should I get Photoshop?
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 07:47:44 am »

Quote from: chex
Ooh a Kenyan! Vipi mzee!

my 2p: if you don't want to spend a fortune on CS4, and from the sounds of it any Photoshop will do for you - CS - CS3 are available cheap as ndizi (teehee) second hand.

Asante sana (squashed banana).  You in Kenya?

joedecker

• http://www.rockslidephoto.com
Should I get Photoshop?
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 11:01:12 am »

Incidentally, I don't really have an interest in manipulating shots at the pixel level, just in "developing" and printing good photos.

I use LR for 95% or more of my work, but there are things I need to go to PS for.

Here are some differences that come to mind, there are more, but these seem the most commonly missed features:

- Perspective correction -- if I photograph some tall trees and their tops converge, very occasionally I'll use Photoshop to correct them to be more parallel in Photoshop, no way to do this in LR.
- Correction for barrel/pincushion distortion.  I have very good lenses, almost never do this but occasionally I can barely notice a straight horizon become curved.  PS can correct this,  LR can't.
- Better healing tools.  There are a few things I like better about the heal tool in LR 2.x, but the PS healing brushes work a lot better for removing defects that aren't simple spots, like removing a thin branch.
- Putting together print files for the service that makes my prints.  The service provider I use has some fairly fussy requirements it's difficult to replicate in LR, and moreover LR doesn't have soft-proofing.  (Soft-proofing uses color profiles to simulate and preview how the image will look when printed based on what the printing technology can actually produce.)
- CMYK ("4-color") print work.  When I produce postcards and greeting cards from my images I make my own "CMYK separations", PS can do this, LR can't.
- Photoshop has tools for panorama stitching, LR doesn't (making a larger higher-resolution image out of multiple small images.  LR does have good integration with PS to do this if you have both, though.)
- Photoshop has tools for "focus blending", LR doesn't (taking multiple images with limited depth-of-field and merging them to get, in effect, a deeper depth of field.)
- Graphic design tasks

None of these are that essential for the vast majority of photographic needs.

Joe Decker
Rock Slide Photography [url=h

chex

Should I get Photoshop?
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 11:09:31 am »

No I'm in the UK at the moment, for a year at least I think...

Ed Blagden

Should I get Photoshop?
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 02:01:27 pm »

Quote from: chex
No I'm in the UK at the moment, for a year at least I think...

Pole sana

leongregory05

Should I get Photoshop?
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 10:19:55 am »

Yeah, you should!  I'm particularly new in digital photography and a couple of friends recommend me using Photoshop as my main editing tool. Not only that it is user-friendly, there are also a lot of easy Photoshop tutorials online that can guide one in using and troubleshooting to achieve the desired results.

DavidHoptman

• http://www.davidhoptman.com
Should I get Photoshop?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 06:00:43 am »

Hi,

I only switched to digital a couple of years back, when the Canon 5D became an affordable option for me, and since then I have been happily using Adobe Lightroom 1.x

My question is, is it worth making the considerable investment both in terms of money and learning time to get Photoshop CSx to complement Lightroom?  I recently posted a few shots on the Critique board here, and various other members had some fun Photoshopping my efforts.  When I ask "how did you do that?" I usually get a lot of teccy stuff back about adjustment layers and honestly I have no idea what the guys are talking about but the results look good (sometimes).

the answer is absolutely YES.. The best advice I can give you would to be buy Photoshop take some classes in Photoshop at a Community College  nearby and or go online and go the website LYNDA.COM which is the best way to get your Photoshop Chops down.. today without Photoshop in the digital world you will be  a lost soul! Enjoy the Journey, you will learn a lot about photography in the process of learning your Photoshop basics...   GOOD LUCK be patient.. and keep shooting. BEST DAVID HOPTMAN
David Hoptman
email dhstudio@mac.com
TUSCAN LIGHT PHOTOGRAPHIC WORKSHOPS
http://www.davidhoptman.com

Ananth

• http://monusharun.smugmug.com
Should I get Photoshop?
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 06:03:54 am »

Hi,

Check out some of the features in the LR3 beta currently available from Adobe Labs... I think you will find many of the basic manipulations there and all you will need to 'develop and print good photos'

Ananth

Ed Blagden

Should I get Photoshop?
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 05:35:04 am »

Quote from: Ananth
Check out some of the features in the LR3 beta currently available from Adobe Labs... I think you will find many of the basic manipulations there and all you will need to 'develop and print good photos'

Ananth

Hi,

Right now I use LR2.5 and it does just about everything I want apart from Stitching (for which I use Panopro), lens correction and Soft Proofing.  I hear that the LR3 Beta rendering is even better than 2.5, and if the rumours are true and the final shipping version will include these last ttwo bits of functionality, then I guess I'll be happy for now.

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up