Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another two very different shots  (Read 2586 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Another two very different shots
« on: June 14, 2009, 03:36:17 pm »

C&C?

[attachment=14553:ll.jpg] [attachment=14554:ll_2.jpg]

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 10:01:40 pm »

Jeremy, Actually I like them both. Who wouldn't like the little buck? And the light in the first shot is excellent, but that one seems to have two focal points: the trees and then the cliffs. The picture might be more striking if you made the trees the single focal point by subduing the cliffs. In any case, it's a pleasant scene.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

dalethorn

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 12:27:44 am »

Quote from: kikashi
C&C?
Jeremy

In the first, I think the cliffs look great.  I don't know how anyone feels about it technically, but I would not want to lose much of those cliffs.  The colors for the trees and cliffs seem to be a nice complement.  OTOH, the large bland area below the trees could be cropped some.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 01:15:03 am »

I like the early morning light and the way it hits the trees in the first image.  That young buck is definitely cute too.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Ed Blagden

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 04:08:41 am »

Jeremy

Both nice shots.  For the trees and cliff, in addition to cropping out the OOF grass at the bottom, try reducing the blue luminance on the sky to make a polarizer effect.  Not sure if it will help, but worth a try.

Why did you decide to render the animal in B&W?  I would have thought colour would work better in this case.  In the B&W the tonality of the animal is quite similar to the background.

Where were the shots taken by the way?  Is that a Waterbuck?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 10:41:17 am »

Jeremy,

I agree with the suggestions to crop the out-of-focus grass in the first one. I love the light on the trees and the cliffs. If you try messing with the sky, make sure you don't lose the magical colors of cliffs and trees. I personally wouldn't touch the sky.

The buck is charming. I'd like to see it in color, too, but I might still prefer the B&W.

-Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 03:08:39 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl
I like the early morning light and the way it hits the trees in the first image.  That young buck is definitely cute too.
Thanks - it's early evening, in fact, about 20 minutes before the antelope.

Quote from: Ed B
Jeremy

Both nice shots.  For the trees and cliff, in addition to cropping out the OOF grass at the bottom, try reducing the blue luminance on the sky to make a polarizer effect.  Not sure if it will help, but worth a try.

Why did you decide to render the animal in B&W?  I would have thought colour would work better in this case.  In the B&W the tonality of the animal is quite similar to the background.

Where were the shots taken by the way?  Is that a Waterbuck?
I've cropped it a bit more at the bottom and it certainly does look better. I had tried increasing saturation and/or decreasing luminance on the sky, but neither really worked.

Here's the original colour version of the buck, which is a young male blue bull in Ranthambhore National Park, Rajasthan (I'd hoped to see a tiger or two but had no luck). The shot was taken at about 7:30 and although it was only 20 minutes after the sunlit photo, we were in shade and the light had completely gone: the exposure was 1/200, f5.6, ISO3200, Canon 100-400IS L at 400mm. As you can see, there wasn't very much colour anyway, and with the inevitable noise from the high ISO I thought B&W was the way to go.

[attachment=14570:bull_2.jpg]

Jeremy

Ed Blagden

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 04:20:28 pm »

As you can see, there wasn't very much colour anyway, and with the inevitable noise from the high ISO I thought B&W was the way to go.

Jeremy

And you were dead right.

francois

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 05:21:56 am »

Thanks - it's early evening, in fact, about 20 minutes before the antelope.

I've cropped it a bit more at the bottom and it certainly does look better. I had tried increasing saturation and/or decreasing luminance on the sky, but neither really worked.

Here's the original colour version of the buck, which is a young male blue bull in Ranthambhore National Park, Rajasthan (I'd hoped to see a tiger or two but had no luck). The shot was taken at about 7:30 and although it was only 20 minutes after the sunlit photo, we were in shade and the light had completely gone: the exposure was 1/200, f5.6, ISO3200, Canon 100-400IS L at 400mm. As you can see, there wasn't very much colour anyway, and with the inevitable noise from the high ISO I thought B&W was the way to go.

Jeremy
I don't see anything in favour of the color version. So keep the B/W. It's true that B/W can save photos affected with high ISO noise, I use this technique very often.

By th way, I like your  both photos a lot. I agree with others that the out-of-focus foreground of the first photo should be cropped out.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 05:23:44 am by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up