Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How many are using twitter?  (Read 5694 times)

robertwatcher

How many are using twitter?
« on: June 14, 2009, 12:22:26 pm »

After resisting twitter because I'm not one who is too fussy on knowing when everyone has a cup of tea or heads out the door - and definitely don't want to have others knowing what I am doing every minute of the day - - - I finally have bitten the bullet and figured out a way that twitter can be useful from a business standpoint, and so joined up yesterday http://twitter.com/robertwatcher.  I've decided that it can be a good way for people to get updates related to photography or web projects that are being worked on.

So I am just curious if any else is using twitter to keep people in touch with their business - and what content that they have found to be useful - - - as well I'm curious as to whether anyone has seen any benefit as far as their photography business is concerned? I'm just getting the hand of it and am open to ideas being used.

----------

robertwatcher

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 12:43:22 pm »

One reason that I have looked into it a bit more, is because I am receiving more and more hits on my photography website from social networking websites, social bookmarking websites, and the like. I guess these are places where people talk - - -and with twitter, it appears to be much like Text Messaging where comments can be added from a mobile phone. I am thinking that whether I like the concept or not - it may be  valuable making my business more easily available through these communities. The traditional way of SEO has changed and things previously counted on, are not as relevant any more. I'm always looking for what works successfully for me.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 02:48:33 pm »

http://www.popphoto.com/Features/20-Photog...Worth-Following

Twitter is Jim's Journal come to life.  Can't wait until the next asteroid.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 06:40:07 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
http://www.popphoto.com/Features/20-Photog...Worth-Following

Twitter is Jim's Journal come to life.  Can't wait until the next asteroid.

Seconded. It's clear the only way to make twitter even more pointless is to try to monetize it.

daws

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 08:54:03 pm »

We masses need our opiates, but must they be that mindless?

EdRosch

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 10:42:26 pm »

You might enjoy what Maureen Dowd had to say on the subject.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 12:18:16 am »

Quote from: EdRosch
You might enjoy what Maureen Dowd had to say on the subject.
That's great.  I like the twitter ghostwriter concept.

robertwatcher

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 09:21:12 am »

I have been of the same mindset as you folks when it comes to these networking sites - - - I have considered them useless, a waste of time, and an intrusion on my privacy. However I am in the business of photography and web development and design, and essential to my means of maintaining my exposure requires regular adjustments in my way of thinking - and keeping current and relevant. If I can do that while maintaining my dignity and principles and reasonable privacy, I am fine with that.

I have found it to be a little like golf or soccer - - - totally useless and uninteresting to watch, until you get involved with them and get addicted to them. Mind you there are a lot of things that I don't want to try and get addicted to. But with my discussion about twitter, my focus is on its application and value to business. If I had rejected the web as a legitimate way to operate my business and maintained my Main Street Studio and traditional costly methods of advertising, I'd be in the same boat and most of the other professional photographic studios that have all but disappeared in the last 10 years. Thankfully I am reasonably progressive (even for a 53 year old) and have benefited by making a better living than I did from the 8 years that I had a studio, and doing this entirely from my website. So that is where I really am coming from.

While I have only been on twitter for a few days, I am already seeing benefits, avenues and possibilities that will benefit me.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:22:50 am by robertwatcher »

EdRosch

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 09:37:26 am »

Quote from: robertwatcher
I have been of the same mindset as you folks when it comes to these networking sites - - - I have considered them useless, a waste of time, and an intrusion on my privacy. However I am in the business of photography and web development and design, and essential to my means of maintaining my exposure requires regular adjustments in my way of thinking - and keeping current and relevant. If I can do that while maintaining my dignity and principles and reasonable privacy, I am fine with that.................While I have only been on twitter for a few days, I am already seeing benefits, avenues and possibilities that will benefit me.

Actually, I agree with you.  There is that old saying that the customer is always right and if your potential customer base is liking twitter, then exploring it is absolutely the right thing to do.  It's on a more philosophical level that I fear for a civilization in which Twitter becomes so popular.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 12:31:01 pm »

Quote from: robertwatcher
I have been of the same mindset as you folks when it comes to these networking sites - - - I have considered them useless, a waste of time, and an intrusion on my privacy. However I am in the business of photography and web development and design, and essential to my means of maintaining my exposure requires regular adjustments in my way of thinking - and keeping current and relevant. If I can do that while maintaining my dignity and principles and reasonable privacy, I am fine with that.

I have found it to be a little like golf or soccer - - - totally useless and uninteresting to watch, until you get involved with them and get addicted to them. Mind you there are a lot of things that I don't want to try and get addicted to. But with my discussion about twitter, my focus is on its application and value to business. If I had rejected the web as a legitimate way to operate my business and maintained my Main Street Studio and traditional costly methods of advertising, I'd be in the same boat and most of the other professional photographic studios that have all but disappeared in the last 10 years. Thankfully I am reasonably progressive (even for a 53 year old) and have benefited by making a better living than I did from the 8 years that I had a studio, and doing this entirely from my website. So that is where I really am coming from.

While I have only been on twitter for a few days, I am already seeing benefits, avenues and possibilities that will benefit me.
That's super.  I kind of figured out some benefits and whatnot by looking at some of the 20 twitter sites listed in the pop photo piece I linked to.

robertwatcher

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 12:57:07 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
That's super.  I kind of figured out some benefits and whatnot by looking at some of the 20 twitter sites listed in the pop photo piece I linked to.

I kind of forgot to add - "Thank you for that link".

robertwatcher

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 08:57:33 am »

I find twitter to be quite different than Facebook. There is more control over the content that you are following. It is very simple and easy to follow and post to. Much more like text messaging. Where Facebook is a social group intermingling with each other, playing games, answering quizes, and a myriad of other activities - twitter more just a way to keep people up to date with 1 short sentence.

I have found my use for twitter, in letting those who follow me know when updates to my Journal or Imaging Media website have been made. I even decided a couple of nights ago that twitter was a good way to publish a link to little snippet videos that I will put together under the title of "My Thought For Today" This was the first one that I threw together and posted on twitter recently - not very pollished, but you've got to start some place:    .

In the few days that I have been signed up to twitter, I find it a better tool for keeping people up to date with what I have going on with my photography and web design, than Facebook. I use Facebook with only my children, so that I can see the pictures they are posting. I wouldn't want clients to know all of our personal business and things that we are doing. I suppose a separate Facebook account would be in order to socialize with customers, if that is what I chose to do.

For those who aren't familiar with what "twitter" looks like - here is a screenshot of my complete twitter workspace. You can see it is quite sparce compared to social sites like Facebook and Myspace:

Here is closeup showing the textbox where I put my entry up to 140 characters - - - as well as showing how the "following" and followers" are separated so that you have total control over who you wish to follow and who can follow you. This is the "Home" page. If I were on the "Profile page which is the actual twitter url twitter.com/robertwatcher, only my tweets would show:

I have found several valuable sites to follow using twitter - such as "Reuters Pictures", "Scott Kelby", "Strobist", "Sean McCormack" from Lightroomblog, "Matt Cutts"  from Google, " Joe McNally ", "Moose Petersen" and a few more. Also a couple of days ago  as the new Olympus E-P1 was being unveiled, twitter provided me with a play by play from a few of the guys that were at the release and we were all anticipating what it would be and look like - together. Links to posts of blogs etc were provided as things were progressing.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 08:59:14 am by robertwatcher »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 09:23:39 am »

I occasionally read an interesting blog "sweetjuniper.com"; it's about Detroit, among other things. The site has a FAQ in which the author answers a reader's question about Facebook and Twitter. It gave me a good belly laugh.
--
Robert

DarkPenguin

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 11:45:18 am »

Thanks for that.   This is tremendous ...

http://www.sweet-juniper.com/2009/06/anoth...collection.html

MichaelAlanBielat

• http://www.MichaelAlanFineArt.com
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 02:43:31 pm »

I am:
SHUTTER2SPEAK is my user name.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 08:41:01 am »

I am: