Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 55-110mm zoom lens  (Read 8271 times)

pindman

Mamiya 55-110mm zoom lens
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 01:31:05 am »

Quote from: Henry Goh
I would really appreciate if we kept to my original question and not go off thread.

Thank you.

Now, anyone else can say they have a sharp copy of this lens?

I bought one used, and the IQ was unacceptable so sold it.  The 45 and 80 (older versions) were much better at equivalent focal lengths.

Paul

Henry Goh

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 02:41:58 am »

Quote from: pindman
I bought one used, and the IQ was unacceptable so sold it.  The 45 and 80 (older versions) were much better at equivalent focal lengths.

Paul

Thanks Paul.

looks like it is dicey buying this fella.

Snook

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 10:04:20 am »

hey Guys I am interested in picking of either the 45 or the 55 and arguments to go either way. are they both good or both bad, contrast sharpness etc...?
Thanks for any suggestions.
I have the 35mm but don't really love it.
Snook

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 11:48:41 am »

Quote from: Snook
hey Guys I am interested in picking of either the 45 or the 55 and arguments to go either way. are they both good or both bad, contrast sharpness etc...?
Thanks for any suggestions.
I have the 35mm but don't really love it.
Snook

I tested 3 different 45's, including the newest D model, and none of them had usable corners on full frame digital (P45+).  The centers were very good with excellent contrast and I suspect they would be fine on a crop-sensor back like the P30+, but not on FF.  In fact, the 55 end of the worst 55-110 I ever tested was way better than any of the 45's I tried.

In contrast, the 55 AF prime is a very good lens, sharp corner-to-corner on FF.

But...  I have migrated to an older Mamiya 50mm shift lens as my 45/55 prime of choice.  It is very sharp and offers 20mm of shift which comes in handy on that focal length.  No AF and all manual aperture, but I like the lens.  

Cheers,
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 11:49:22 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Snook

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 01:17:38 pm »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
I tested 3 different 45's, including the newest D model, and none of them had usable corners on full frame digital (P45+).  The centers were very good with excellent contrast and I suspect they would be fine on a crop-sensor back like the P30+, but not on FF.  In fact, the 55 end of the worst 55-110 I ever tested was way better than any of the 45's I tried.

But...  I have migrated to an older Mamiya 50mm shift lens as my 45/55 prime of choice.  It is very sharp and offers 20mm of shift which comes in handy on that focal length.  No AF and all manual aperture, but I like the lens.  

Cheers,

Thank you Jack.. I appreciate it.
I have some older manula focus I will playing with also.
Will also see if Franks tip will help my 55-110 which I do not like. It also does not focus reasonable close at all which stinks also, but not the end of the world.
Thank you
Snook

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 01:30:38 pm »

Quote from: Jack Flesher

Cheers,

45mm lens is one of my favs. I have no complaints about this one.
mine is the normal 45mm AF version

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 03:17:21 pm »

Quote from: Snook
Thank you Jack.. I appreciate it.
I have some older manula focus I will playing with also.
Will also see if Franks tip will help my 55-110 which I do not like. It also does not focus reasonable close at all which stinks also, but not the end of the world.
Thank you
Snook

You are welcome.  And yes, that's true about the MFD of the 55-110 --- it is pretty long, like 1.5 meters and it can be problematic at times.  However for landscape, it has not been a big issue for me.  Also, I carry the 1 and 2 tubes for whenever I need to get closer.  AF is disabled with the tubes, but all other functions including focus confirmation work.
Jack

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 03:18:07 pm »

Quote from: jing q
45mm lens is one of my favs. I have no complaints about this one.
mine is the normal 45mm AF version

If you are shooting full frame digital, can you please post a full corner crop from any image with recognizable detail at say f8?  I'd seriously like to be convinced there are good samples of that lens available so I can go back on the hunt for one!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:19:35 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack

Jason Denning

• http://www.jasondenning.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 04:34:36 pm »

There was an article recently on LL that has tested the mamiya zoom and found it to be excellent - http://www.josephholmes.com/news-medformatprecision.html

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 09:31:15 am »

Quote from: satch111
There was an article recently on LL that has tested the mamiya zoom and found it to be excellent - http://www.josephholmes.com/news-medformatprecision.html

The author claims the lenses are very inconsistent though, backing up that view throughout. (But I find this true of all lenses).  

Problem, OP wants sharp. Define sharp.

No, 55-110 is not 'digitar' sharp. Its not as sharp as the standard 80 (which is digitar sharp by the way)

But its a zoom folks. Thats right, its a bit of a compromise. I use it a lot though. Honestly can't see problems with saturation etc, but yes would like it a bit sharper... but its a zoom. It does the job, particularly at f11.

Compared with a Contax 55, this can suck at the 55 wide end. But guess what, I don't own a contax system... and...yes... its a zoom!

I use it with an Aptus 75.

I don't tend to shoot tethered looking at the eyes of a model at 200%, nor would I use this lens to try and emulate large format landscape photography though. So perhaps I'm not as demanding as some here. When detail is the goal, I stick to the 80 or to my digitars.

@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 10:21:10 am »

Quote from: free1000
No, 55-110 is not 'digitar' sharp. Its not as sharp as the standard 80 (which is digitar sharp by the way)

But its a zoom folks. Thats right, its a bit of a compromise.

I don't tend to shoot tethered looking at the eyes of a model at 200%, nor would I use this lens to try and emulate large format landscape photography though. So perhaps I'm not as demanding as some here. When detail is the goal, I stick to the 80 or to my digitars.
Do you know how it compares to the Hasselblad "compromise zoom" 50-110. (Which, I was surprised to see, emulates large format landscape photography... shame that there is no H3 compatible Flexbody.)

I will soon be doing some comparison tests between the Hassy 50 - 110 and a range of Schneider apo-digitars.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 10:41:28 am »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
Do you know how it compares to the Hasselblad "compromise zoom" 50-110. (Which, I was surprised to see, emulates large format landscape photography... shame that there is no H3 compatible Flexbody.)

I will soon be doing some comparison tests between the Hassy 50 - 110 and a range of Schneider apo-digitars.

the hassy 50-110mm is great from what I've tested so far.
the mamiya was horrible at 110mm.
Honestly I don't think there's any comparison...

well I guess there are sample variations but it seems like a lot of work to have to sift through samples just to find one good one.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 12:21:36 pm »

Jing Q -- still waiting to see a corner crop from your 45mm Mamiya -- PLEASE post it so I can see a good example!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 12:25:59 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack

Jason Denning

• http://www.jasondenning.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2009, 05:43:13 am »

I use a Mamiya Pro Tl so have the manual 55-110 zzom, I'm very happy with my one, testing on a 22mp back it is very sharp at all focal lengths.
I'm sure it would do just as well with a 39mp back.

Jason
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up