Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colourburst and the Epson 9900  (Read 6294 times)

scott morrish

Colourburst and the Epson 9900
« on: June 14, 2009, 10:01:40 am »

Having made the switch to a 9900, the way that the new version of colorburst handles CMYKOG has really confused me. My brain has got well and truly stuck!

Strangely Colorburst only seems to (let the user) treat the 9900 as a CMYK printer.  It will not print linearisation targets for all six colours, although the updated manual does show target weights for all six, and even includes 6 colour linearisation targets. If it can print all six, please somebody, tell me how?

I know re-linearising an existing environment is easy enough... but i need to make new profiles to take the third party papers into account. I also need to make a very specific environment for contract proofing CMYK (ISO12647v2), and in my experience to date, that is best achieved with modified ink weights and a new 'output' ICC profile .

It is easy enough to linerarise CMYK... but don't OG need to be linearised too?  
When wanting to make full use of all of the lovely colours this printer can print, how do users control O&G?

I know I am probably overlooking something very obvious here... but what is it?

Very grateful for any help,
Scott

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 11:49:03 am »

It's important to realize that RGB/CMYK to many (8-12 colors depending on the printer) color separations are highly proprietary intellectual property that the printer handles on the printer itself. This is great for the end user and really simplifies things. When using the driver, we can make RGB profiles that are used for the output color space transformation and then the printer handles the RGB to many color separation on the printer itself. Most RIPs manage these printers in a CMYK color space, so we make CMYK output profiles and again the printer manages the CMYK to many color separation. In either case, the RGB or CMYK profile is only used for a output color space transformation and we are still taking advantage of all the inks.

The retail versions of ColorBurst do let you set individual ink limits and linearize each and every ink channel for most printers, as well as linearize the "composite channel" which is the combination of all of them together. These features are disabled for the x900 printers only and ColorBurst uses Epson's LUT.

It is confusing, but the bottom line is that making a CMYK profile in ColorBurst is the right thing to do and you are still taking advantage of all the inks!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 05:04:13 pm by Onsight »
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

scott morrish

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 01:06:40 pm »

Quote from: Onsight
It's important to realize that RGB/CMYK to 12 color transformations are highly proprietary intellectual property that the printer handles on the printer itself. This is great for the end user and really simplifies things. When using the driver, we can make RGB profiles that are used for the color space transformation and then the printer handles the RGB to 12 color transformation on the printer itself. Most RIPs color manage these printers in a CMYK color space, so we make CMYK profiles and again the printer manages the CMYK to 12 color transformation. In some cases Epson works with the RIP maniufactuer so the RIP can handle this but that can add a lot of RIPing time. In either case, the RGB or CMYK profile is only used for a color space transformation and we are still taking advantage of all the inks.

The Pro version of ColorBurst does let you set individual ink limits and linearize each and every ink channel, as well as linearize the "composite channel" which is the combination of all of them together.

It is confusing, but the bottom line is that making a CMYK profile in ColorBurst is the right thing to do and you are still taking advantage of all the inks!

Thanks for this. It is reassuring to know that i am not the only one who thinks this is a complex issue.

If i understand you correctly, no matter what files we send to the 9900, RGB, CMYK or CMYKOG, colourburst will only use the 'output profile' (as selected in the print environment) for conversion / translation (by the 9900) into another colourspace (which we do not have access to), that determines exactly how the inks are put down on the paper. Is that correct?

If that is the case(?), i am still left wondering why we are not expected to linearise the O&G channels... surely they are just as likely to drift as CMY&K?

Either way, i guess that sending files that have been colour managed into the print environments 'output profile' is the best way to exercise control over colour and tone, especially for soft-proofing and control over out of gamut colours.

Honing in on linearisation of CB and the 9900... another question: Epsons linearisation process is accessible via epsons software, and we also have Colorbusts CMYK linearisation via the rip. I had never thought about this before... but should both be done, or are they literally doing the same thing?

One other thing i would be very interested in hearing more about, is your reference to the CB Pro version (windows 9.2). I am using that as of yesterday, but for the life of me, i can not figure out how to treat the 9900 as anything other than a CMYK device. I used to limit and linearise each channel for the 9800. But for the 9900... i can not see how. Again, very interested if there is something i am missing.

Thanks for the information, and hope i am understanding correctly,
Scott
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 02:45:37 pm by scott morrish »

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 04:57:49 pm »

Quote from: scott morrish
If i understand you correctly, no matter what files we send to the 9900, RGB, CMYK or CMYKOG, colourburst will only use the 'output profile' (as selected in the print environment) for conversion / translation (by the 9900) into another colourspace (which we do not have access to), that determines exactly how the inks are put down on the paper. Is that correct?
ColorBurst uses a CMYK output file the define the printer's colorspace even though it uses many additional inks. The final 4 to many color separation happens on the printer without a color space conversion. Does this make sense?

I used to limit and linearise each channel for the 9800. But for the 9900... i can not see how. Again, very interested if there is something i am missing.
Ahhh, I wasn't sure if you were using a basic or retail version of ColorBurst. Good point. ColorBurst handles the x900 printers differently than all previous Epson. With the x900 printers you've probably noticed that the Ink Limiting and Linearization options are grayed out! We can't perform these functions on the x900 printers and I understand your disappointment. Why have a RIP at all then, some might ask? ColorBurst uses Epson's LUT just on these printers just as you would have with the driver.

If that is the case(?), i am still left wondering why we are not expected to linearise the O&G channels... surely they are just as likely to drift as CMY&K?
You are completely right - good point. While ColorBurst's recommendation is to simply re-profile to printer at the interval of your choice, a more advanced option would be to use Epson's software. The nice thing about this is that it linearizes the printer for both the driver and ColorBurst.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

graemetouch

Re: Colourburst and the Epson 9900
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 08:26:35 am »

Sorry to bump old thread.

I recently started thinking about the problems or options to keep Colorburst and Epson 9900 profiles "in check"
As stated below, there is no option to re-linearize Epson 9900 in colorburst  - you have to re-profile whole chart.

a more advanced option would be to use Epson's software. The nice thing about this is that it linearizes the printer for both the driver and ColorBurst.

How is this achieved?
Thanks
Graeme
Pages: [1]   Go Up