Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TLR values  (Read 6814 times)

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
TLR values
« on: June 14, 2009, 07:42:09 am »

I'm trying to lay my hands on a cheap TLR for my brother's wedding next month.

My shortlist is Yashicamat 124G, Minolta Autocord, and Rolleicord/cheap 'flex but all seem to go for quite a lot on ebay.  How much do you think each is worth (assuming working and not mint trophy pieces)?

Are there other MF bargains that I should be looking at?  an RB is just too heavy.  My budget is £150 but I'm trying to spend less!

Thanks
C

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
TLR values
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 09:03:35 am »

Quote from: situgrrl

My shortlist is Yashicamat 124G, Minolta Autocord, and Rolleicord/cheap 'flex but all seem to go for quite a lot on ebay.  How much do you think each is worth (assuming working and not mint trophy pieces)?

Are there other MF bargains that I should be looking at?  an RB is just too heavy.  My budget is £150 but I'm trying to spend less!

Thanks
C

150 GBP might be pushing it. I'd recommend adding Mamiya C220/C330 to that shortlist. Just did a quick check, and C220 starts around there on eBay. I have one, and love it - sample shot below. Interchangeable lenses, and lenses and accessories are on sale quite often. I'm currently on the lookout for a good portrait lens.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:06:17 am by feppe »

ke6luk

TLR values
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 09:32:36 pm »

You might want to look into the older 645 SLR's. Bronica and Mamiya sell for really good prices here in the States. For example one sold for $225 on 13 June on Ebay. If you're looking for square format Bronica also made the SQA.
Hope this helps.
73's
Doc

Denis K

TLR values
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 08:12:48 am »

Quote from: situgrrl

TLR's are a lot of fun but if you need a camera for a wedding next month now is not the time to be purchasing a very old TLR.  IMHO, you would think these camera's are so simple nothing could be wrong with them but in my experience most of the complexity has been corralled into the shutter mechanism.  As these shutters get old they need periodic maintenance to keep the times accurate.  The slow speeds are often way out of whack on the average ebay camera.  If you have time and budget a CLA on your ebay purchase you can end up with a nice TLR but I wouldn't go that route if time is short, as it is in your case.

As for prices, go to Keh Camera Brokers and have a look at their inventory and prices.  Their condition grades are usually a good indication of where the price breaks are.  You can then factor those prices + a possible CLA into what you want to bid on an ebay camera.  (I have nothing to do with Keh myself other than I have purchased through them before).

Denis K

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
TLR values
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 11:44:57 am »

A Yashicamat 124 is currently winging it's way to me.  Denis - was aware of that - thankfully, I've a good repair man!  I would go the dealer route but there is only Nicolas in Camden that have stocks at the moment.....they aren't the best to deal with!
Pages: [1]   Go Up