Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One Backs and Software  (Read 3598 times)

RRudeski

Phase One Backs and Software
« on: June 13, 2009, 11:45:36 pm »

Hello,

I would like to ask your opinions on Phase One backs and software, specifically the quality, usability, and value. Also, how it compares to its competition. All feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

etrump

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 12:56:27 am »

I have not tried other MF products so all I can discuss is my experiences and attitudes toward their products without comparing them to their competition.  I am on my 2nd back with the P65+ on oder.  The extra $$$ to have P1 was quickly forgotten once I started using the back, camera and especially the images.   I don't regret my decision and feel I made the safe move going with their more open products.  Especially now that I have added a Cambo RS kit to the mix.

On the C1 software, I used to use only LR, ACR, and PS but have switched all my raw processing to C1.   It is not a DM management application like LR but the quality of the raw processing and sharpening are substantially better than anything I have tried.  Of course that is my opinion and you can easily download their trial along with sample images from whichever back you are interested in.

It also helps that I have a great dealer in Capture Integration, their support is really exceptional and they have bent over backwards to help me.

Ed

Ed Cooley
 [url=http://www.whiteri

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 08:00:43 am »

This whole forum is full of comparisons between the backs. They are all capable of great image quality but there are differences. Some backs have more resolution than others, some use microlenses so are less suitable for tilt/shift, some are better for very long exposures, some have faster frame rates, some have smaller sensors than others, some offer adapter systems to allow you to use the same back on different platforms, some offer a DNG workflow, some have better LCD screens than others, some offer live view, some offer multishot, some offer 1 year standard warranty whereas others offer 3, and some are necessary for specific cameras. So have a think about which of these features you need and I hope the forum will steer you in the right direction.

tmx3

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 08:27:48 am »

I'd agreed with Graham in that there are a lot of variables & these forums regulalry make comparissons between the different camera systems -maybe if you were more specific in terms of use & pricing people might be able to offer more specific answers. The impression I have is that differences in the file produced by backs are negligable and it is more to do with what camera system/software/workflow suits you(you will find top advertising photographers using any of the big 3 backs) Phase one backs are used on a variety of camera systems so the camera you use it on is also going to be a factor. I've felt the new version of capture one pro (4) is less user friendly than the previous one, although that may have to do with what I have been used to. You would probably get along with it fine.  Phocus, the new hasselblad software is pretty good. As a camera system, for me, the h3d is unattractive as it lacks a lot of advantages a top of the range dslr (eg frame rate, multiple autofocus points) yet doesn't offer the precision you might get from a digi back on a view camera. I don't have a lot of experience with leaf so can't offer an opinion.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 08:31:55 am by tmx3 »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 03:44:10 pm »

Quote from: RRudeski
I would like to ask your opinions on Phase One backs and software, specifically the quality, usability, and value. Also, how it compares to its competition. All feedback would be greatly appreciated.

You have no idea the can of worms you're opening     .

In all seriousness nearly every modern digital back produces extraordinary quality, and every system has pros and cons. Phase has many pros and many cons, summaries of which can be found all over this board.

However, your particular requirements/desires/priorities are a huge part of the equation. As a quick example Phase One is the only company that makes digital backs capable of long exposures (comptetion goes to 30 or 60 seconds and many Phase backs go to one hour); that's a big deal for some shooters and barely a side-note for others.

If you give us more information I think you'll find the community very willing to pitch in advice. What equipment are you shooting now? What types of subjects and scenarios do you shoot? What is your approximate budget range? Where do you live and do you travel as part of your work? Are you familiar with any medium format bodies/backs? Etc etc.

Without that sort of information about yourself your question is no more meaningful than: "what do you think of Aston Martin cars?"

Full Disclosure: I work for a high-end photo dealer (Phase One, Canon, Apple, Eizo, Cambo etc etc dealer) named Capture Integration. I always try to present my opinions with honesty and fairness, but must be considered a biased information source.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 03:47:26 pm »

Also Phase is the only one currently shipping a full-frame 60 megapixel back :-). So at the absolute highest of the high end there's only one game in town.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 03:48:51 pm by dougpetersonci »

DesW

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 09:58:52 pm »

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Hi There, We have used the P25/H1 Combo now have P45 and P65+ in house the 65+ is  at time of writing in my opinion State of the Art in available current  MFDB.
It is indeed one of tragedies of the System that Phase got into bed with Mamiya and foisted on us the "Phamiya".
Be warned the Body is a Pig, I'd advise you to pick your back with any other mount if possible.

Des W

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 01:26:48 am »

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Rob:  If you haven't already, read Michael's reviews on the main part of the site.  But as Doug Peterson alludes to, Phase One make among the best backs in the world. (and that's not a dig at Sinar, Hasselblad...)

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

RRudeski

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 10:09:36 am »

Thanks all for the comments so far. It's helpful to me and I appreciate it.

Rob

errolhiggins

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 06:47:46 pm »

Quote from: DesW
Hi There, We have used the P25/H1 Combo now have P45 and P65+ in house the 65+ is  at time of writing in my opinion State of the Art in available current  MFDB.
It is indeed one of tragedies of the System that Phase got into bed with Mamiya and foisted on us the "Phamiya".
Be warned the Body is a Pig, I'd advise you to pick your back with any other mount if possible.

Des W

errolhiggins

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 06:49:26 pm »

Please tell me why you say the body is a pig. I am thinking of selling all my H2 stuff and going to Phase body and lenses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up