Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Lightroom for tiff and jpeg problem  (Read 2575 times)

barrym

Using Lightroom for tiff and jpeg problem
« on: June 13, 2009, 03:45:07 pm »

When I use LR to work on a tiff or jpeg that has been saved in sRGB or adobe RGB, I notice that the preview in LR is a little darker/contrastier than when the same image is previewed in PS. I know that it is not my computer as I have had 3 different photog's open up tiff images in both LR and PS and get the same results. I realize that the working space in LR is ProPhoto and that my working space in PS matched my photo.  Are there any preferences in LR that I have missed that let me preview an sRGB or adobe RGB image in its native color space? If my tiff/jpeg images are off from being previewed in LR's Profoto preview then I won't be getting accurate adjustments, because the preview used is not accurate for sRGB or adobe RGB saved images. Any ideas to correct?

James R

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 04:23:09 pm »

Quote from: barrym
When I use LR to work on a tiff or jpeg that has been saved in sRGB or adobe RGB, I notice that the preview in LR is a little darker/contrastier than when the same image is previewed in PS. I know that it is not my computer as I have had 3 different photog's open up tiff images in both LR and PS and get the same results. I realize that the working space in LR is ProPhoto and that my working space in PS matched my photo.  Are there any preferences in LR that I have missed that let me preview an sRGB or adobe RGB image in its native color space? If my tiff/jpeg images are off from being previewed in LR's Profoto preview then I won't be getting accurate adjustments, because the preview used is not accurate for sRGB or adobe RGB saved images. Any ideas to correct?

LR only uses ProPhoto color space.  I use that color space in PS and Capture 1 for consistency.  I convert to sRGB when exporting for web posting.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 03:46:33 am »

Quote from: barrym
When I use LR to work on a tiff or jpeg that has been saved in sRGB or adobe RGB, I notice that the preview in LR is a little darker/contrastier than when the same image is previewed in PS.
Are you sure your color options in PS don't screw something, like assigning the working space without asking?
Apart from a bug (or inconsistency with PS in the way the screen profile is handled?) I don't see any reason for LR to get it wrong.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

barrym

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 12:06:47 am »

On Adobe's resource site I found the following.

"For rendered files such as TIFF, JPEG, and PSD files, Lightroom uses the image’s embedded color profile to display the image, histogram, and color values."

Does this mean that the LR preview(1:1 develop mod) is using the image’s embedded color profile to preview, or is the actual preview in Profoto's color space of the embedded profile?
Pages: [1]   Go Up