Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendation for a new 24" monitor  (Read 3996 times)

matthew

Recommendation for a new 24" monitor
« on: June 13, 2009, 01:27:03 pm »

I'm seeking advice regarding the possible purchase of a new monitor.  Currently I do most of my image processing and printing at work.  I use a MacBook pro, with an Apple Cinema 23" monitor (which I really like).  At home I use the same computer and a Dell 2409 monitor (which I dislike).  All monitors are calibrated.  I'm going to bring my printer home and do my image processing from home.  I'm trying to decide whether to purchase a new monitor (24") and if so, which one.  The new 24" Apple monitor is out (can't connect to my older MacBook Pro and I'm not sure about the glossy screen).  I'm thinking maybe an HP LP2475w (attractive price) or possible an NEC 2490 wuxi (a bit expensive for me).  Does anyone have a sense of how either of these monitors (or another recommendation) would compare to my 23" Apple monitor?  I would be fine with bringing the Apple display home and purchasing a new monitor for work (or even bringing the Dell to work).

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 04:18:30 pm »

The 2490 is a great display when mated with their software and a supported colorimeter.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

matthew

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 06:43:17 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
The 2490 is a great display when mated with their software and a supported colorimeter.

I've read a lot of great things about it.  Do you think it's substantially better than the Apple monitor that I already have?

Anthony R

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 06:50:43 pm »

Quote from: matthew
I've read a lot of great things about it.  Do you think it's substantially better than the Apple monitor that I already have?

In short words, the Apple monitor you have is crap.

dseelig

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 08:58:28 am »

I have read many times how good the necs are but the funny thing is alot of labs in NYC use the apple monitors.  Are you happy with the apple? If you are not replace if, you like it buy a lens. Or send me the money and I will buy a lens LOL David

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 09:51:58 am »

Quote from: dseelig
I have read many times how good the necs are but the funny thing is alot of labs in NYC use the apple monitors.  Are you happy with the apple? If you are not replace if, you like it buy a lens. Or send me the money and I will buy a lens LOL David

NEC 2490WUXi is a high bit, hardware calibrated display with electronic compensation of uniformity. You can calibrate it very precisely, without the loss of tonality, and it will be even from edge to edge.

The old ACD is not that bad - it also has IPS panel, that is calibrated to gamma 2,2 and (statistically) it's usable out of the box. But you can't change the white point nor the black point, you can't calibrate the gradation more precisely, and you don't have the electronic uniformity compensation, so you can't really tune it up without the loss of tonality, and it's not as even as NEC - it's just simple like that. I don't understand why it makes people so nervous.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:55:03 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 10:36:59 am »

Quote from: dseelig

Absolutely. There's nothing at all special about the Apple displays (I have one too).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Plekto

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 06:38:25 pm »

I researched 20inch displays for my parents last year and they wanted something as close to the Apple as possible without the miserable refresh rate and cost.  I settled on the Viewsonic VX2025wm.  If you want a 24 inch, I'd recommend the newer bigger brother to this, the VX2435wm.  I've been playing a few older FPS games on my 20 inch version, and there's no artifacts or tearing, and the image at native resolution is pretty close to seamless smooth.  Color is very very good.  The 24 incher is under $300 locally/retail, so it's a real steal for what it is.(yes you'll have to calibrate it, but that's true for any monitor)

The Apple looks a bit punchier because of the piece of glass in front of the panel, versus none on a typical LCD.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 06:39:29 pm by Plekto »
Pages: [1]   Go Up