Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Framing without a matte  (Read 1679 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Framing without a matte
« on: June 13, 2009, 08:18:36 am »

I have an idea for a large image on my wall made up of four (or six) framed sections of the same image. I'm sure it's not original.

I'm planning to use thin matt aluminium frames and the thing would obviously look much better with no mattes.

So what's the best way to keep the photos away from the glass?

Jeremy

walter.sk

Framing without a matte
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 10:54:56 am »

Quote from: kikashi
I have an idea for a large image on my wall made up of four (or six) framed sections of the same image. I'm sure it's not original.

I'm planning to use thin matt aluminium frames and the thing would obviously look much better with no mattes.

Jeremy
How about laminating them?  You could even include a thin border around each picture and hang them without frames.

The idea of hanging a series of pictures to make up a panorama is not new.  It occurred in Baroque art in triptychs, and certainly in photographic work.  Back in the '60's I remember seeing a panorama of the Brooklyn Bridge divided over 3 or 5 images.  The break between images and the distance between them produces a kind of tension that can make the work more powerful than a simple pano.

Dward

Framing without a matte
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 10:58:30 am »

Quote from: kikashi

Jeremy

If you want to use glass, try Framespace from Arlo (www.arloinc.com).   Self-adhesive narrow plastic spacers that attach to the back of the glass and keep the artwork from touching.

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com
David V. Ward Fine Art Photography

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Framing without a matte
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 03:38:27 pm »

Quote from: walter.sk
The idea of hanging a series of pictures to make up a panorama is not new.  It occurred in Baroque art in triptychs, and certainly in photographic work.  Back in the '60's I remember seeing a panorama of the Brooklyn Bridge divided over 3 or 5 images.  The break between images and the distance between them produces a kind of tension that can make the work more powerful than a simple pano.
That's exactly what I had in mind.

Quote from: Dward
If you want to use glass, try Framespace from Arlo (www.arloinc.com).   Self-adhesive narrow plastic spacers that attach to the back of the glass and keep the artwork from touching.
Thanks - just what I was looking for. Happily, they're available over here (England) as well.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up