Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No more update for Z3100  (Read 1889 times)

Hellstan

• http://[url=http://galleries.lfi-online.com/index.php?cat=10220]My LFI Page[/url]
No more update for Z3100
« on: June 12, 2009, 12:28:23 pm »

Exactly what I feared here some months ago (and Neil told me I hadn't too, but it seems HP proves me right).

Not a single update for the Z3100 soft since eight months now for the Firmware and a whopping 13 months for the drivers.
One can easily conclude HP will not follow up with his customers on this product.
To compare with Apple, wich still updated PPC machines 3 years after Intel switch.

Edhopkins

No more update for Z3100
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 01:42:43 pm »

There were some new paper presets in early June so HP seems to be doing something with the Z3100.(proofing papers and self-adhesive papers.)

Granted this is not firmware or drivers...

ed
Baltimore

Hellstan

• http://[url=http://galleries.lfi-online.com/index.php?cat=10220]My LFI Page[/url]
No more update for Z3100
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 01:49:13 pm »

Quote from: Edhopkins
There were some new paper presets in early June so HP seems to be doing something with the Z3100.(proofing papers and self-adhesive papers.)

Granted this is not firmware or drivers...

ed
Baltimore

When checking on the Z3100 HP messy website page, I cannot find anything new regarding papers.

Rocco Penny

No more update for Z3100
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 02:29:00 pm »

hello, I'm a very new z3100 user, also I own an outdated HP top of the line laptop, and a simple older HP all in one copier/scanner/printer.
I found the driver for the all in one on the HP website 3 years later, and have never needed advice or service for my laptop.
BUT and a BIG BUT-
HP sent a service tech out to my site and changed the rollers and starwheel assembly, a few months AFTER the warranty expired just a week ago - for me, the SECOND OWNER!!!
They spent oodles of time with me on their live chat website bringing my machine up to speed with the latest driver and firmware.
For me, the SECOND OWNER!!!
They gave me their ear regarding my need for cash savings while purchasing media and ink, and directed me to a cash back offer.
They were very good in handling my needs overall.
One thing though; don't go blusterizing to anyone on the phone, you'll get nowhere.
I also saw the new media profiles for downloading that were recently added.
I decided I didn't want to spend the time downloading them just now because I have my hands full with the paper I have
well, also this is my first post, and I do wish there were some software changes in the driver, like not reverting to ghost settings when you change image types in the printing preferences window under printing shortcuts, or changing color management on its own between printer managed color, or application managed color,
and lots of other weird little ghosties like that
gosh though, I've been paying lots of attention to other people's work, and printing especially.
You sure can do pretty good with the z3100 and the current firmware and driver, even as a novice
well that's assuming some aptitude
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 02:30:45 pm by Rocco Penny »

Roscolo

No more update for Z3100
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 02:20:09 pm »

Quote from: Hellstan

Exactly what I feared here some months ago (and Neil told me I hadn't too, but it seems HP proves me right).

Not a single update for the Z3100 soft since eight months now for the Firmware and a whopping 13 months for the drivers.

What specific problems are you having that you need an update or fix for? I'm still using an even older version of Firmware and driver on my z3100 and still printing great, customers are happy, and  still churning out a "whopping" number of prints.

Geoff Wittig

No more update for Z3100
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 05:22:33 pm »

Quote from: Hellstan

One can easily conclude HP will not follow up with his customers on this product.
To compare with Apple, wich still updated PPC machines 3 years after Intel switch.

You can look at it either way. My old Epson 7600 soldiers on with essentially the original driver and the stone cold original firmware since about 2004, which is forever in digital years. To my knowledge Epson never significantly updated it. On the other hand, the original driver was rock-solid and has never given me any problems.

For the HP Z3100, the driver has always been a bit temperamental and squirrely, and several rounds of firmware updates plus driver updates have helped improve print quality in a couple of ways while adding their own foibles. However, this is a vastly more complicated machine than the old wrought iron 7600; as in, 11 inks plus gloss optimizer rather than 6 inks; gloss and matte black inks always available (& usable simultaneously!) rather than expensive black swaps; and your own built-in spectrophotometer. It also handles prolonged neglect gracefully, and absolutely does not have the clog problems even the latest Epsons are plagued by.
Pages: [1]   Go Up