Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CS4  (Read 7438 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Photoshop CS4
« on: June 11, 2009, 04:48:58 pm »

I've been working with CS4 for a few days. There are some nice bells and whistles. The new Context Aware Scaling is a great new tool. A few other things, I have mixed feeling about. For instance, I can't seem to find an option so images always open as "floating " panels, versus full screen/tabbed. But I'm most horrified to finds that (on a PC), right-clicking on the image frame no longer brings up a context sensitive menu. The program has been Mac-ified. It was quick and easy to right-click to check image size, dpi, rescale, etc. Ditto with the canvas size. Now this is done via only the menu or hot-keys. Not a huge deal, yet one that adds second each time when working on a lot of images.

Am I wrong that this no longer functions in CS4? If I'm not wrong, this is added to the growing list of "what Adobe giveth, Adobe taketh away". Like:
* no help menu on your system -- now you're forced to go online
* no printed or even PDF manual
* scroll wheel on mouse no longer adjusts values (Lightroom)

Nemo

walter.sk

Photoshop CS4
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 05:55:57 pm »

Quote from: nemophoto
I've been working with CS4 for a few days. There are some nice bells and whistles. The new Context Aware Scaling is a great new tool. A few other things, I have mixed feeling about. For instance, I can't seem to find an option so images always open as "floating " panels, versus full screen/tabbed. But I'm most horrified to finds that (on a PC), right-clicking on the image frame no longer brings up a context sensitive menu. The program has been Mac-ified. It was quick and easy to right-click to check image size, dpi, rescale, etc. Ditto with the canvas size. Now this is done via only the menu or hot-keys. Not a huge deal, yet one that adds second each time when working on a lot of images.

Am I wrong that this no longer functions in CS4? If I'm not wrong, this is added to the growing list of "what Adobe giveth, Adobe taketh away". Like:
* no help menu on your system -- now you're forced to go online
* no printed or even PDF manual
* scroll wheel on mouse no longer adjusts values (Lightroom)

Nemo

I'm not sure about the right-click issues, but you can set your preferences so that images open as floating panels.(Edit>Preferences>Interface> then check or uncheck Open Document in Tabs.)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 06:00:56 pm by walter.sk »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Photoshop CS4
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 06:00:51 pm »

For instance, I can't seem to find an option so images always open as "floating " panels, versus full screen/tabbed. But I'm most horrified to finds that (on a PC), right-clicking on the image frame no longer brings up a context sensitive menu. The program has been Mac-ified. It was quick and easy to right-click to check image size, dpi, rescale, etc.

Under the Window menu, turn off "Application Frame".  Your documents now appear in individual windows.

Not sure what you mean by "macified".  Mac's have had contextual menus for a long time now, and CS4 supports them just fine on both platforms. If they are not working for you, perhaps there is something amiss in your mouse driver/control panel that has your right click mapped to something other than contextual menu.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Photoshop CS4
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:13:19 pm »

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

As for "Mac-ified", I meant that Windows, since the beginning, has had two mouse buttons. Apple stuck with one. All other Adobe programs (to this point) made use of the right-click (hence one-handed) contextual menu. I use my wife's Macs frequently, often working on images for her jobs (she's graphic designer) on her computer. I miss my workflow of "right-click" when I'm on her computer, in many programs. So, my comment is not really about Macs, per se, only that Adobe has chosen to abandon a perfectly good way of working in Windows in favor of a comparatively more laborious shift- or alt-click. In all other programs, the right-button works as it should. In CS4, if I right-click the frame, nothing happens. If I right-click the ruler, I get the menu with options to change the units.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
Photoshop CS4
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 11:48:03 pm »

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

As for "Mac-ified", I meant that Windows, since the beginning, has had two mouse buttons. Apple stuck with one.

Modern Mac mice have both left and right mouse buttons. Although they are not physically visible, clicking on either side of the scroll ball produces a left or right click.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 11:52:44 pm by jerryrock »
Gerald J Skrocki

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Photoshop CS4
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 12:05:22 am »

As for "Mac-ified", I meant that Windows, since the beginning, has had two mouse buttons. Apple stuck with one.

And some Mac users have been using multi-button mice since the early 1990's (when I got into Photoshop). My current mouse has 9 buttons I think plus a scroll wheel.

Ya really need to get off the one button mouse thingie...it's old hat (and out of date).

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Photoshop CS4
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 02:42:59 pm »

As Jerry mentioned, Apple has had 2 button mice since 2005.  And as Jeff mentioned, the Mac supports nearly every USB mouse out there .... I haven't used an Apple mouse for at least a decade.  (mine only has 6 buttons though  )

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Photoshop CS4
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 09:31:12 am »

While we're on the subject of mice, I used to use fancy, ergonomic 7-button mice with my PC.  When I switched to Mac -- only two years ago -- a friend who was also a relatively recent convert suggested I live with the Mac mouse for a week before giving up on it.  (For those that may not know, it is actually a 4-button configurable mouse with a scroll ball.)  I have to admit I hated it for the first few hours, being tiny with virtual buttons and its simple oval shape.   But by the end of the day, its simple elegance was beginning to woo me, and  by the end of the second day I was so comfortable with it I've never considered anything else.  Seriously, I got so good with it, I only grab my Wacom Pen for really localized work. As a plus, it's small enough for travel with your laptop too.  

Sorry for the OT diversion, back to your normal programming,
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 09:31:26 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Photoshop CS4
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 04:05:01 am »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
While we're on the subject of mice, I used to use fancy, ergonomic 7-button mice with my PC.  When I switched to Mac -- only two years ago -- a friend who was also a relatively recent convert suggested I live with the Mac mouse for a week before giving up on it.  (For those that may not know, it is actually a 4-button configurable mouse with a scroll ball.)  I have to admit I hated it for the first few hours, being tiny with virtual buttons and its simple oval shape.   But by the end of the day, its simple elegance was beginning to woo me, and  by the end of the second day I was so comfortable with it I've never considered anything else.  Seriously, I got so good with it, I only grab my Wacom Pen for really localized work. As a plus, it's small enough for travel with your laptop too.  

Sorry for the OT diversion, back to your normal programming,

I used the Apple Mighty Mouse for a couple of days, and absolutely love the small scroll ball.

Unfortunately there is one thing it cannot do that I have used for years ... detect when both right and left mouse buttons are clicked simultaneously, so I've stayed with my logitech mouse.  But you are right, it really is an elegant design.
Pages: [1]   Go Up