Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Dark Hedges, Co. Antrim  (Read 7282 times)

pcox

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 156
    • http://www.petercox.ie
The Dark Hedges, Co. Antrim
« on: June 10, 2009, 05:42:59 AM »

Another from my recent visit to Antrim.


The Dark Hedges, Armoy, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland
Logged
Peter Cox Photography
Photography Workshops in Ireland
Fine Art Landscape Photographs
www.petercox.ie

Josh-H

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2023
    • Worldwide Photography Expeditions
The Dark Hedges, Co. Antrim
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 06:52:41 AM »

Quote from: pcox
Another from my recent visit to Antrim.


The Dark Hedges, Armoy, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland

Peter - Hope you dont mind me offering some critique - Firstly, I really like this photograph - I think the trees are really interesting and the whole thing has a very Tolkien feel to it. It appeals to me on many levels.

I do wish the trees faded off into darknesss however - rather than into white. I understand you may not have had the choice. It looks like it was taken in bright sunlight due to the pure white at the end of the trees. Not much you can do about that.  You have to shoot it when you are there.

Composition wise - I think you nailed it - and stand by my first comment - I really like this photograph.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 06:55:02 AM by Josh-H »
Logged

pcox

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 156
    • http://www.petercox.ie
The Dark Hedges, Co. Antrim
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 06:56:33 AM »

Josh -
Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you on the fade out part, but due to the nature of the scene it's not really possible. The exit is always going to be brighter than the 'interior' of the tunnel, no matter the lighting conditions.

Cheers,
Peter

Quote from: Josh-H
Peter - Hope you dont mind me offering some critique - Firstly, I really like this photograph - I think the trees are really interesting and the whole thing has a very Tolkien feel to it. It appeals to me on many levels.

I do wish the trees faded off into darknesss however - rather than into white. I understand you may not have had the choice. It looks like it was taken in bright sunlight due to the pure white at the end of the trees. Not much you can do about that.  You have to shoot it when you are there.

Composition wise - I think you nailed it - and stand by my first comment - I really like this photograph.
Logged
Peter Cox Photography
Photography Workshops in Ireland
Fine Art Landscape Photographs
www.petercox.ie

wolfnowl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5821
    • M&M's Musings
The Dark Hedges, Co. Antrim
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 01:16:17 AM »

I agree with Josh.  Really well done.  The composition is perfect, and I love the interweaving of the trees.  In Lightroom or Photoshop you could darken down that area a little bit without destroying it, I think.

Mike.
Logged
If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~

My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings

Alasdair

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 7
The Dark Hedges, Co. Antrim
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 03:49:34 PM »

Hi Peter

Here's my attempt at it. You can see from mine that I really caught the bright sunlight. I was tempted to do an HDR shot but didn't for some reason. It's a great place though and I don't live that far away so I guess I'll be going back.

On another note, I'm about to launch a new site and am considering a links page. Would you be interested? Is it wise? PM me and I can tell you a bit more if you want.

All the best
Alasdair

[attachment=14464:Hedges.jpg]
Logged

DanPBrown

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 138
    • http://danbrownphotography.com/
The Dark Hedges, Co. Antrim
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 06:47:54 PM »

I think the photo is great just the way it is. I'm curious, what was your focal length for this shot?
Dan
http://www.danbrownphotography.com

Quote from: pcox
Another from my recent visit to Antrim.


The Dark Hedges, Armoy, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland
Logged

rcdurston

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 214
    • http://www.durstonphoto.com/
The Dark Hedges, Co. Antrim
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 08:44:30 PM »

Quote from: DanPBrown
I think the photo is great just the way it is. I'm curious, what was your focal length for this shot?
Dan
http://www.danbrownphotography.com
200mm by the camera data information.

r
Logged

pcox

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 156
    • http://www.petercox.ie
The Dark Hedges, Co. Antrim
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 01:14:48 AM »

Yep, 200mm it was.

Cheers,
Peter

Quote from: rcdurston
200mm by the camera data information.

r
Logged
Peter Cox Photography
Photography Workshops in Ireland
Fine Art Landscape Photographs
www.petercox.ie

Dan Berg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 1721
    • http://bergscanvasgallery.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
The Dark Hedges, Co. Antrim
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 08:19:28 PM »

I do not like to make a practice of changing others work. Here is a small change anyway. About 5 seconds in Viveza to darken the exit slightly.

pcox

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 156
    • http://www.petercox.ie
The Dark Hedges, Co. Antrim
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 12:15:54 PM »

Dan -
Like I said, I did do a little work in PS to darken the exit, but wasn't happy with the results, which were similar to what you've done here.

Cheers,
Peter


Quote from: Dan Berg
I do not like to make a practice of changing others work. Here is a small change anyway. About 5 seconds in Viveza to darken the exit slightly.
Logged
Peter Cox Photography
Photography Workshops in Ireland
Fine Art Landscape Photographs
www.petercox.ie

Dan Berg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 1721
    • http://bergscanvasgallery.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
The Dark Hedges, Co. Antrim
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 04:51:29 PM »

Peter,
Looks blue doesn't it. Your right,sometime things are best left the way they were captured.

DanPBrown

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 138
    • http://danbrownphotography.com/
The Dark Hedges, Co. Antrim
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 04:58:33 PM »

Tunnels are meant to have a light at the end of them  
Seeing your photo makes me want to visit Ireland, and this location in particular.
Dan
http://www.danbrownphotography.com

Quote from: pcox
Dan -
Like I said, I did do a little work in PS to darken the exit, but wasn't happy with the results, which were similar to what you've done here.

Cheers,
Peter
Logged

haefnerphoto

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 676
    • http://www.jameshaefner.com
The Dark Hedges, Co. Antrim
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 08:51:33 PM »

What an unique road!  My training tells me that I should put a car on it, what a shame!!  Jim

cmi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 492
The Dark Hedges, Co. Antrim
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 08:42:56 AM »

This topic is a bit older but I wanted to stop by and say that I really, really like the image.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up