Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wetland Stem and Leaves  (Read 8392 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Wetland Stem and Leaves
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 10:58:34 am »

Quote from: Jim Pascoe
I hope you do not mind me cropping one of your pictures again, but I think the light is lovely, and just needs the eye to be kept into subject.[attachment=14446:Leaves10.jpg]
Jim

Jim, Sorry to sound negative, but this is a fine example of the fact that it's almost impossible to improve a properly framed and composed picture by cropping it. The crop turns the thing into a routine macro shot of some yellow leaves. The picture loses balance by losing those soft green leaves pointing out toward the right. Also, in order for this to work the yellow leaves have to be very sharp while the green leaves have to be somewhat soft. The crop has softened the yellow leaves and eliminated the contrast between the elements that made the picture striking. In addition, the crop has eliminated whatever extra punch the original got from the "rule of thirds." Dale's first impression was the right one.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

shutterpup

Wetland Stem and Leaves
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 12:03:35 pm »

Quote from: RSL
Jim, Sorry to sound negative, but this is a fine example of the fact that it's almost impossible to improve a properly framed and composed picture by cropping it. The crop turns the thing into a routine macro shot of some yellow leaves. The picture loses balance by losing those soft green leaves pointing out toward the right. Also, in order for this to work the yellow leaves have to be very sharp while the green leaves have to be somewhat soft. The crop has softened the yellow leaves and eliminated the contrast between the elements that made the picture striking. In addition, the crop has eliminated whatever extra punch the original got from the "rule of thirds." Dale's first impression was the right one.

And I will add my 2cents that I much prefer Dale's original photo to the cropped photo. Coming from a "cropping junkie," this is saying a lot about the original.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up