Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 1Ds MarkII or Leica Digital Module R  (Read 1432 times)

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Canon 1Ds MarkII or Leica Digital Module R
« on: February 11, 2005, 02:56:46 am »

The Leica product will not be shipping for several months yet (target release date is April 2005, but who knows?), and the Canon option is already shipping. The Leica product is also NOT full-frame (1.37x according to specs), and is 10MP instead of 16, and will only shoot at 2FPS compared to the  Canon's 4. The Leica doesn't appear to have any image quality advantage over the Canon that would overcome its 6.7 megapixel disadvantage compared to the 1Ds-II, and my guess is that there won't be much cost difference. The Modul-R appears to be a closer match to the 1D-MkII with regard to image size and quality, but in exchange for the 18% lower pixel count, you get ISO 3200, 8FPS and a 20-50 frame buffer (depending on image size selected) instead of ISO 1600, 2FPS, and a 10 frame buffer. If you already have a Leica R8 or R9 body and a bunch of Leica glass, you may want to look into it, but if you're starting out fresh, you're probably much better off with the Canon.

michaelk

Canon 1Ds MarkII or Leica Digital Module R
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 11:24:21 pm »

I am a wedding photographer and I'm looking to upgrade from my 10D. What is a better camera, the Canon 1Ds MarkII or Leica Digital Module R?  I realize with the Lecia option, I would first have to purchase an R9, and of course, a Carl Zeiss Leica brand lens or two, which would get pricey.  But these can be purchased used.  I also realize this may not even be on the market yet, so it may be difficult to judge. You always hear about Canon, and then there's a lot of talk about the H1D, but what about the Leica?  Thank you for your reply. <Michael K Photography Homepage>
Pages: [1]   Go Up