Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mac OS coming  (Read 10130 times)

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
New Mac OS coming
« on: June 08, 2009, 04:20:41 pm »

(Snow Leopard: Apple said the new operating system, Snow Leopard, will be available in September and can perform some tasks up to 90% faster than its current Leopard OS. Apple said Snow Leopard is more crash resistant than its predecessor and is 6 gigibytes smaller.

Snow Leopard will cost $29 to upgrade from Leopard, which is $100 less than the previous upgrade price.)

This is from CNN Money
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Frank Doorhof

• http://
New Mac OS coming
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 04:31:00 pm »

Now that's good news.
29.00 is a great price comparing it to the windows upgrades.....

Less crashes ?
That puzzles me a bit, I've been using the mac OS for little under a year now and to be honest I maybe had two crashes.
Looking forward to it anyway.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
New Mac OS coming
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 04:39:52 pm »

Hopefully Photoshop will be one of the tasks it can do 90% faster as well as more stable. Maybe it is because each of my files goes quickly above 2Gb but PS is quite slow and crashes quite often

BJL

New Mac OS coming
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 04:52:32 pm »

One change is more complete 64-bit support, catching up with the 64-bit capability of recent Intel processors: will that help with very large files?

Aside: The iPhone is now a "combocam"; video has been added. When will Michael review it?! Also Internet tethering for laptops ... and touch screen selection of AF point!

Frank Doorhof

New Mac OS coming
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 04:53:08 pm »

I do have sometimes that PS just quits indeed, but that was also happening on my PC so it never struck me as a problem with the mac.
Somehow I got used to it I guess

Carsten W

New Mac OS coming
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 05:21:57 pm »

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
Less crashes ?
That puzzles me a bit, I've been using the mac OS for little under a year now and to be honest I maybe had two crashes.

I have definitely had more with Leopard than I ever had with Tiger, so I am really looking forward to this. I have been pushing Leopard hard, and finding that it is good, but not great.

But Leopard still kicks the teeth out of the XP Pro I am using at work, or the Windows 7 my boss is using. The kinds of problems we are having on those systems are just ridiculous. I have no idea how Microsoft manages to keep anyone on board.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 05:23:03 pm by carstenw »
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

gwhitf

New Mac OS coming
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 05:29:10 pm »

Quote from: BJL
Aside: The iPhone is now a "combocam"; video has been added. When will Michael review it?! Also Internet tethering for laptops ... and touch screen selection of AF point!

I looked at the Feature List for the new iPhone announced today. I scrolled down the left column of Features, and saw the word TETHERING, and I almost spilled my coffee. There for a second, I thought they'd found a way to hook the thing up to a Phase back, for suitable Previews in the field. But alas, no, it's Internet Tethering:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3g-s/

Carsten W

New Mac OS coming
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 05:47:26 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
I looked at the Feature List for the new iPhone announced today. I scrolled down the left column of Features, and saw the word TETHERING, and I almost spilled my coffee. There for a second, I thought they'd found a way to hook the thing up to a Phase back, for suitable Previews in the field. But alas, no, it's Internet Tethering:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3g-s/

And this is only for providers who play ball. I am venturing a wild guess that AT&T is not going to offer this cool feature...
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

GregW

New Mac OS coming
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 05:49:23 pm »

The current iPhone camera is rubbish, but it does offer the serious photographer one advantage. You can use it to establish your location and copy the GPS data to your images in either Lightroom or Photo Mechanic.

I think the USD 29 upgrade price is very fair considering Snow Leopard is predominantly an 'under the hood' upgrade. It's very much in Apple's interests to get every one on to SL as soon as possible so developers can leverage OpenCL, Grand Central Dispatch and 64-bit memory allocation. USD 29 should speed things along nicely

Snook

New Mac OS coming
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 07:13:42 pm »

Great another upgrade.. Was just getting used to Leopard!!!

Hope this does not screw up the Capture One programming. Would hate to go through the whole loop again.

Snook

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
New Mac OS coming
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 09:26:29 pm »

Quote from: carstenw
I have definitely had more with Leopard than I ever had with Tiger, so I am really looking forward to this. I have been pushing Leopard hard, and finding that it is good, but not great.

But Leopard still kicks the teeth out of the XP Pro I am using at work, or the Windows 7 my boss is using. The kinds of problems we are having on those systems are just ridiculous. I have no idea how Microsoft manages to keep anyone on board.
I've never had a PC as crap and unreliable as my 2008 MacPro with Leopard being a remarkably buggy pice of cat poo. The beachball of doom is a regular occurence - many times a day,  Finder randomly loses entire Hard drives for no reason, Cmd+Alt+ Esc gets more way more use than Cnt+Alt+Del ever did on the PC and today's very inconvienient annoyance is that I cannot use files on one of my HDs as I don't have the right permissions or something equally cretinous/obscure and difficult to fix. The workaround is to use my PC and open files on PC over network and alter them there. How dumb is that? Though thtat's a miracle in itself as Networking usually fails to work  most of the time. I tried to alter files with my MBP over network, but couldn't change anything with that Mac either.
I also took my PC laptop with me on my recent travels and was very thankful as some things would simply not work with the MBP but worked no problem and with no installs needed on the PC - which saved my bacon a couple of times.
My Macs regularly go back to the Apple Store and don't get the issues resolved as the Geniuses cannot fix the issues or create new ones. My new MBP went back to store within 3 weeks, only to discover it was a Finder problem on all Macs. The problem -  an invisible HD [and not for the first time], though only to Finder, all other software could see and use it, inc Disk Utility which set it up. But as Finder is how you open and save from within programmes, it's a bit crippling. If it wasn't for alternatives like Pathfinder to the abyssmal Loser, sorry Finder, I would simply not bother with OSX.
I'm hoping SL is a big improvement. I'm viewing it as a much needed service pack for leopard, as all the bugfixes so far seem to bring fresh issues. 10.5.7 has added a few new bugs like display issues

I've just installed W7 [RC] on the MBP and wil be interested to see if it's as good as everyone says.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:09:12 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
New Mac OS coming
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 09:28:56 pm »

Less crashes ?
Looking forward to it anyway.
I can get 2 in a day! Maybe I simply got a lemon. A very expensive one.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
New Mac OS coming
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 01:11:40 am »

Quote from: jjj
I can get 2 in a day! Maybe I simply got a lemon. A very expensive one.

Its possible.

You may be surprised to hear this, but it could be the processors,  or other chips on the mainboard.

Minor flaws in one of the chips can cause crashes. This would be the very last thing to consider if you truly have had Mac OSX wiped and done a clean install and still have the problems.

Memory is the obvious one and is usually checked first, I assume that the geniuses tested the memory boards? If not, you can do it at home with diagnostic tools, search the web for them.

I don't have many crashes with leopard, but one or two apps are prone to 'whirly ball' mania.  Lightroom being one of the major culprits in this regard.

A big speed up in Lightroom would be worth considerably more than £29 to me. I'm hoping.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
New Mac OS coming
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 01:33:58 am »

Hi,

My impression is that "the whirly ball in Lightroom" is mostly related to exhausted memory. When all memory is used up Mac OS/X and Lightroom needs to regain some memory. I might be wrong.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: free1000
Its possible.

You may be surprised to hear this, but it could be the processors,  or other chips on the mainboard.

Minor flaws in one of the chips can cause crashes. This would be the very last thing to consider if you truly have had Mac OSX wiped and done a clean install and still have the problems.

Memory is the obvious one and is usually checked first, I assume that the geniuses tested the memory boards? If not, you can do it at home with diagnostic tools, search the web for them.

I don't have many crashes with leopard, but one or two apps are prone to 'whirly ball' mania.  Lightroom being one of the major culprits in this regard.

A big speed up in Lightroom would be worth considerably more than £29 to me. I'm hoping.
Erik Kaffehr

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
New Mac OS coming
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 01:46:07 am »

Try replacing your memory if you haven't done so already. This sounds like one or more bad memory chips. That will give you random errors. I had the same sort of problems with one of my MBP's. Changed the memory and poef!... no more problems. Naturally it can be something else too but this is something which you can try fairly easy yourself and doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.

Graham Mitchell

New Mac OS coming
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 04:25:38 am »

Quote from: Dustbak
Try replacing your memory if you haven't done so already. This sounds like one or more bad memory chips. That will give you random errors. I had the same sort of problems with one of my MBP's. Changed the memory and poef!... no more problems. Naturally it can be something else too but this is something which you can try fairly easy yourself and doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.

You can test your RAM instead of guessing about it:
http://www.command-tab.com/2008/01/11/how-...under-mac-os-x/

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
New Mac OS coming
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 04:39:15 am »

Quote from: foto-z
You can test your RAM instead of guessing about it:
http://www.command-tab.com/2008/01/11/how-...under-mac-os-x/

Ah.. even better. Without that I would have tried it anyway Graham

Murray Fredericks

• http://www.murrayfredericks.com
New Mac OS coming
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 07:05:40 am »

Quote from: free1000

Lightroom Tips:

1. Place the Lightroom Cache Folder on a separate fast scratch disk. The same as the PS disk is fine but ensure heaps of space. I have 120gig here on the fast section of the disk.

2. Also, automatically build 1:1 previews for all files as when they are imported. This takes a while but next time you use the files there will be little or no loading/waiting and other issues.

There are a few articles about this around the web.

I did this a while back and now Lightroom never pauses at all.

Murray
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:07:26 am by Murray Fredericks »
Exhibition Website   http://www.murrayfr

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
New Mac OS coming
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 07:50:48 am »

Maybe I've been very lucky, but I'm on my third Mac, having used one since OS 9 & through all incarnations of OS X, & I've never had a crash yet. That first iMac (Snow, 500 mhz G3) is still in regular use too! [/smug git mode]  

narikin

New Mac OS coming
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 08:39:28 am »

Now that's good news.
29.00 is a great price comparing it to the windows upgrades.....
Nonsense. This is virtually the equivalent of a Service Pack upgrade which for MS is FREE. can't get a lot cheaper than that.
in fact typical of Apple to charge us for them fixing their problems in Leopard, and everyone applauding them for it - amazing!

Quote from: jjj
I've never had a PC as crap and unreliable as my 2008 MacPro with Leopard being a remarkably buggy pice of cat poo. The beachball of doom is a regular occurence - many times a day,  Finder randomly loses entire Hard drives for no reason, Cmd+Alt+ Esc gets more way more use than Cnt+Alt+Del ever did on the PC and today's very inconvienient annoyance is that I cannot use files on one of my HDs as I don't have the right permissions or something equally cretinous/obscure and difficult to fix. The workaround is to use my PC and open files on PC over network and alter them there. How dumb is that? Though thtat's a miracle in itself as Networking usually fails to work  most of the time. I tried to alter files with my MBP over network, but couldn't change anything with that Mac either.
I also took my PC laptop with me on my recent travels and was very thankful as some things would simply not work with the MBP but worked no problem and with no installs needed on the PC - which saved my bacon a couple of times.
My Macs regularly go back to the Apple Store and don't get the issues resolved as the Geniuses cannot fix the issues or create new ones. My new MBP went back to store within 3 weeks, only to discover it was a Finder problem on all Macs. The problem -  an invisible HD [and not for the first time], though only to Finder, all other software could see and use it, inc Disk Utility which set it up. But as Finder is how you open and save from within programmes, it's a bit crippling. If it wasn't for alternatives like Pathfinder to the abyssmal Loser, sorry Finder, I would simply not bother with OSX.
I'm hoping SL is a big improvement. I'm viewing it as a much needed service pack for leopard, as all the bugfixes so far seem to bring fresh issues. 10.5.7 has added a few new bugs like display issues

I've just installed W7 [RC] on the MBP and wil be interested to see if it's as good as everyone says.
indeed. please everyone don't believe the hype on either side of this stuff or be put of by some "bad machine your boss owns"
there are extremely fast stable PC's that work incredibly well at great prices, (ask 99% of scientists) just as there are Mac's that are buggy and break.
choose your platform with your head and wallet, and not as a lifestyle accessory.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up