Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filter thickness choice with Canon 16-35mm lens?  (Read 1644 times)

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
Filter thickness choice with Canon 16-35mm lens?
« on: June 08, 2009, 12:05:17 pm »

Hello,

Today I'm ready to buy the Canon 16-35mm lens and a protection filter for it.  Yes I know it isn't a great landscape lens but I will use it for action photography so will leverage both AF and zoom.  I will test several copies, am not expecting the world here, and the winner will get wet and dirty but not abused.  The use of a filter is non-negotiable, and I could always take it off for tripod work.

QUESTION:  Can I use the standard thickness B+W filter without vignetting wide open at 16mm?  It will be used on a 5DII.  I'd rather avoid the slim model because it doesn't hold the standard lenscap (PIA?).

I also have an 82mm Helipan slim circular polarizer.  Bonus question if someone knows if this polarizer can be stacked over the standard thickness UV filter without vignette problems.  Again I could always remove the UV filter first, but always like to minimize the amount of gear fussing while shooting.  And yes I realize that polarizing varies aross the WA sky, but might exploit the effect anyway.  

Thanks, Ralph

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
Filter thickness choice with Canon 16-35mm lens?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 01:53:28 pm »

Still trying to decide between two options.  It's boiled down to a $90 question.  I've learned that the 16-35mm vignettes some on it's own @ 16mm f/2.8 on FF, but the question is how much more vignetting when using either of these two options that still offer front lenscap threads:

$67 HvStar shipped aluminum standard thickness 82mm UV-MRC B+W:
http://maxsaver.net/bw82mmuv010hazefilterc...-2-1-1-1-1.aspx

$160 Heliopan slim 82mm UV with front threads:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2324...m_UV_Haze_.html

Update: just went with the Heliopan slim, figuring it wasn't worth my time to agonize over the choice.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 10:35:45 am by reburns »
Pages: [1]   Go Up