Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Horses in Pasture  (Read 2179 times)

dalethorn

Two Horses in Pasture
« on: June 08, 2009, 11:43:16 am »

Horses in Amish country - North central Ohio.  This one had a noise problem - Panasonic ZS3 pocket camera at ISO 200.

cmi

Two Horses in Pasture
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 08:01:38 am »

Quote from: dalethorn
Horses in Amish country - North central Ohio.  This one had a noise problem - Panasonic ZS3 pocket camera at ISO 200.

Do you just wanted to show it? It doesnt speak to me, but maybe that not at all important. Whats more interesting, what is the nice part about it for you?

Christian

dalethorn

Two Horses in Pasture
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 01:05:35 pm »

Quote from: cmi
Do you just wanted to show it? It doesnt speak to me, but maybe that not at all important. Whats more interesting, what is the nice part about it for you?
Christian

I rarely shoot horses, because I don't usually see a composition there.  In this case, I did see a composition. Very simple, but a very strong contrast between horses, pasture, and background trees.  I liked the contrasting colors of the two horses, the different flow lines in the pasture (some going up, some down, and some level), and the way the small splash of foreground leaves (1/3 in from the left) contrast with the background forestation.  It's an unusual look that makes this composition unique for me.

cmi

Two Horses in Pasture
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 07:17:46 pm »

Quote from: dalethorn
I rarely shoot horses, because I don't usually see a composition there.  In this case, I did see a composition. Very simple, but a very strong contrast between horses, pasture, and background trees.  I liked the contrasting colors of the two horses, the different flow lines in the pasture (some going up, some down, and some level), and the way the small splash of foreground leaves (1/3 in from the left) contrast with the background forestation.  It's an unusual look that makes this composition unique for me.

I see. I throught about it a bit and came to the conclusion I would have actually zoomed out to show more from the surrounding. Small horse-dots in the big landscape, I imagine. This version doesnt provides enough context for me. Of course I dont know the place so maybe it is not an option.

//edit: now that I saw the small icon of it again I guess I can imagine what you was seeing and thats indeed beautiful. I would have not zoomed out very much contrary to my above suggestion. I would have give the horses a bit more room at the left and bottom, with the consequence of zooming out, to preserve them both standing more to the left side. If they where standing nearer to each other, the actual framing would fit better. I think finding just the right spot for shooting is critical here.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:25:37 pm by cmi »

dalethorn

Two Horses in Pasture
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 10:12:07 pm »

Quote from: cmi
I see. I throught about it a bit and came to the conclusion I would have actually zoomed out to show more from the surrounding. Small horse-dots in the big landscape, I imagine. This version doesnt provides enough context for me. Of course I dont know the place so maybe it is not an option.
//edit: now that I saw the small icon of it again I guess I can imagine what you was seeing and thats indeed beautiful. I would have not zoomed out very much contrary to my above suggestion. I would have give the horses a bit more room at the left and bottom, with the consequence of zooming out, to preserve them both standing more to the left side. If they where standing nearer to each other, the actual framing would fit better. I think finding just the right spot for shooting is critical here.

Thanks for the detailed comments.  This was a case where the areas surrounding what you see would have conflicted - roadway, ugly looking weeds beside road, and so on.  But I do see the point of zooming out here, since it would look better to break up that blandness at the sides and bottom with something a little richer in detail.

John R

Two Horses in Pasture
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 10:22:44 pm »

It is a somewhat variegated landscape. I like, as you said, the soft contrasts between the variegated land patches and the horses. I think the black horse is soft and it is too bad the horse on the right has the fence post almost at his head. But the whole image does have a nice pastoral quality to it.

JMR
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 10:46:40 pm by John R »
Pages: [1]   Go Up