Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Post-Editing Suggestions  (Read 1761 times)

MR.FEESH

• http://
Post-Editing Suggestions
« on: June 07, 2009, 06:09:02 pm »

Hi all.  So I think I like the essentials of this picture.  Wondering if anyone has something to comment about cropping, lighting, color, the works.
The lighting is obviously less than bright, but I think it suits this particular picture well, agree/disagree?
How about the amount of background space beyond the stone...too much?  Does it provide a good type of separation?

Elby
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX Macro
Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG EX Macro

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
Post-Editing Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 06:21:43 pm »

I like the texture of the wall particularly.

Re the photo:  I think I would have rotated the rear flower to face the camera to provide better composition.  Buy books by Katrina Eisman if you want to learn to do stuff like that in post - the lady is a genius.

Working with what you've got - and not going to such extreme measures as rebuilding the picture, I would use the brush tool in LR to protect everything but the flowers and then increase the contast/saturation subtly.

dalethorn

Post-Editing Suggestions
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 08:30:31 pm »

It looks like not much is going on in the top half, which could be OK if it added a good balance somehow.  One of the suggestions here, to rotate the top flower, would have made it better I think.

MR.FEESH

Post-Editing Suggestions
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 09:46:01 pm »

Quote from: situgrrl
I like the texture of the wall particularly.

Re the photo:  I think I would have rotated the rear flower to face the camera to provide better composition.  Buy books by Katrina Eisman if you want to learn to do stuff like that in post - the lady is a genius.

Working with what you've got - and not going to such extreme measures as rebuilding the picture, I would use the brush tool in LR to protect everything but the flowers and then increase the contast/saturation subtly.

Ooh- I like that idea.  I will definitely give that a try.  I think I'm also gonna see if I can bring out some more detail in the stone.

Quote from: dalethorn
It looks like not much is going on in the top half, which could be OK if it added a good balance somehow.  One of the suggestions here, to rotate the top flower, would have made it better I think.

I actually might be able to re-do this shot.  Lighting will indubitably be different, but I might be able to revisit and retake.

Thanks guys!

Elby
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:57:53 pm by MR.FEESH »
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Post-Editing Suggestions
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 11:16:32 am »

Elby, As I've said elsewhere, I don't normally comment on pictures of flowers, but this one goes beyond the kind of thing you find in seed catalogs. The picture says something more than, "Isn't this a nice flower?" I don't agree that the bloom at the back of the shot should be "turned" to face the front. As it is, the bloom turned away, or partially away, gives a feeling of depth. The only criticism I have is this: Is there more of the wall to the left? If so, I'd try a shot with the camera moved a bit to the left. That would place the flowers in the center of the frame and eliminate the fact that there's a balancing graphic element missing from the upper right. In this particular picture with its static square framing there's nothing wrong with centering the flowers. On the other hand, I'm quite taken with the shot just the way it is. If I saw a version shot the way I suggested, I might still prefer the first image.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

MR.FEESH

Post-Editing Suggestions
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 03:05:34 pm »

Quote from: RSL
Elby, As I've said elsewhere, I don't normally comment on pictures of flowers, but this one goes beyond the kind of thing you find in seed catalogs. The picture says something more than, "Isn't this a nice flower?" I don't agree that the bloom at the back of the shot should be "turned" to face the front. As it is, the bloom turned away, or partially away, gives a feeling of depth. The only criticism I have is this: Is there more of the wall to the left? If so, I'd try a shot with the camera moved a bit to the left. That would place the flowers in the center of the frame and eliminate the fact that there's a balancing graphic element missing from the upper right. In this particular picture with its static square framing there's nothing wrong with centering the flowers. On the other hand, I'm quite taken with the shot just the way it is. If I saw a version shot the way I suggested, I might still prefer the first image.

Thanks Russ!
I actually agree with what you said as far as turning the far flower toward the camera.  You pointed out a very notable aspect, that it provides depth.  I wasn't that studious at the time-- the reason I didn't turn it (in the moment) is, well, when do you ever see a circular-potted plant with all of the flowers facing the same direction?  I thought it would look too staged.
Unfortunately, there is no more stone to the left.  This may be hard to mentally visualize, but the stone pictured comprises one of two (naturally) pillars holding up the porch roof extending away from the front door.  The sort of negative space that isn't stone is the porch floor wood itself.  Had there been more stone, I think I would've definitely at least tried it with more of the rock in the background.  At the same time though, I think I like the fact that it is shot at an angle, and not totally flush with the wall like direction of the pillar.
I like what you said about it being more than "Isn't this a nice flower?" too, mainly because I take a million of those types of flower pictures, just because they're pretty to look at by oneself.  This seems a little different doesn't it?  I have it as my current background.  Reminds me of that type of picture.
Anyhoo thanks for the wisdom,

Elby
Sigma SD14 w/ PG-21
Pages: [1]   Go Up