Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie... with a new problem  (Read 2194 times)

arcman

Newbie... with a new problem
« on: June 07, 2009, 11:04:01 am »

A new problem with one of my two 9800's...

I've pretty much given up using one of these due to a couple of persistently clogged nozzles, which makes the printer useless (unless you don't mind looking at banding), so I fired up the backup and started to do a couple of prints for a new customer.  That printer sat unused for a month but didn't have any clogged nozzles.

I printed out a letter sized test version only to see the bright reds were nearly wine colored!  Yikes! A couple more tests showed the same thing.  I did a CL2 (maintenance menu) head cleaning which didn't improve anything.  Geez! What now?  I've spent I don't know how many hours and ink trying to unclog nozzles on one of these and now this.  So much for buying the second printer for a backup.

I called Epson tech support and the guy there immediately said I have to replace the head due to 'cross contamination' within the head.  The head was 'leaking internally' and the black ink was mixing with other colors.  He also said I needed to replace the other units head due to it 'wearing out over time with use'.  Just what I want to hear.

So, I did four CL3 (10ml) head cleanings in a row and it pretty much fixed the problem...  Until maybe the next job.

Anyone here ever heard of this 'cross contamination'?

Thanks.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 12:24:11 pm »

Quote from: arcman
Anyone here ever heard of this 'cross contamination'?

This isn't on an Epson, but there was one report on the Canon Wiki of a somewhat similar problem that was fixed by several cleanings.  The hypothesis was  "there was a momentary change in pressure that caused some ink(s) to be sucked back into the line, contaminating the Yellow color primarily."  The problem didn't recur.

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/message/view/FAQ/674573

--John

arcman

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 02:46:11 pm »

Just my luck.  

Now the printer with the (alternating) clogged nozzles is doing the same thing.  Actually, I'm down to just a couple of clogs but cyan is now printing blue and magenta is a bit on the red wine side like the other printer did.  Only yellow is printing fine.  Two CL3 (10ml) cleanings didn't help.  My prints look like black is being substituted with a dark red.

Another three hours cleaning/troubleshooting.  This isn't worth the headache.  

I've asked this before but, can anyone explain exactly what the dampers and pump cap assembly do?

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 11:56:35 am »

Can't offer any real help.

FWIW somebody on these forums recently posted a URL describing in minute detail with illustrations exactly how to replace Epson print heads.  Sorry, I couldn't find it just now, but I know it's here somewhere.  Maybe somebody else has it bookmarked.

Sounds like you have some high mileage units.  What do get for "Cur.InkCount" and "Cur.PaperCount" on your nozzle check printouts?

arcman

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 08:06:41 pm »

I think I may know what's causing this.

I've been 'soaking' the heads (because of clogged nozzles) with Windex by using an absorbent pad, which is about an 1/8" thick, cut to fit just inside the rubber cap seal.  Three or four squirts of Windex on the pad and I slide the head over and park it for a couple of days.  It seems to be helping the nozzle problem.

But, when I remove the pad, it's soaked with ink.   So ink is either oozing out of the head even when the machine is off or it's absorbing it back up through the cap pad.  I'm thinking maybe some of the ink is finding it's way back into other nozzles.

Today I ran two CL2 head cleanings and along with a test print using a whole lot of cyan & magenta, the contamination cleaned up nicely.  I still have some clogs though.  I'll try a test print in a couple of days without the Windex/pad and see if it repeats.

Paper and ink count on one is:  75200cm./24600ml.  The other has:  497700cm/64600ml.

Jeff Veen

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 03:10:48 am »

John is right, refer canon official site first. If don't get solution check the supported drivers whether it is proper install or not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up